EVE-online on pandora

No, not a chance. It's not enough that something be available for Linux - it need to be written with the Pandora in mind or have the source available so that it can be ported over. Eve is neither.

However, if the Pandora becomes popular enough and you ask the publisher nicely enough they might be convinced that it would maybe be a somewhat good idea to recompile it for the Pandora themselves and sell it to you. Possibly. In a crazy mixed up universe where big companies actually listen to their customers.

mindlord said:
However, if the Pandora becomes popular enough and you ask the publisher nicely enough they might be convinced that it would maybe be a somewhat good idea to recompile it for the Pandora themselves and sell it to you. Possibly. In a crazy mixed up universe where big companies actually listen to their customers.
very unlikely i happen noou some developer at ccp and they tell me for some reason.s that i will not post here EVE-online will only be on the pc for least few years to come

sortableturnip said:
I wonder if browser based MMO's would work? p&|a

I can't see a reason why not, since the Pandora is already able to browse the net with Firefox3. Normal webpages might distinguish between different types and versions of browser software, but should not care on which device you run them on, right? But then again, the firefox for the Pandora seems to be a special version for portables, so I cannot be too sure. On the other side, are browser games really that different from normal websites? They are interactive, but what webpage isn't? They all collect data from your browser and communicate with it. Whether the clicks and keystrokes of your device are used to level up your Paladin or to send an email - I don't think it makes a real difference.

argor said:
mindlord said:
Very unlikely. I happen to know some developer at cpp and they tell me for some reasons that I will not post here EVE-online will only be on the pc for least few years to come

That makes sense, but the Pandora is a PC of a sorts, and with Mac and Linux clients available, maybe some progress could be made. Hell, I'd be happy with just being able to skill swap on a Pandora.

EVE Online is written in Python, but you'll have to pressure CCP pretty hard to put it on there. Also, I'm not sure that the Pandora would be able to handle it.

sortableturnip said:
That depends on how the game was written. No advanced web application is written in straight HTML. They are usually JAVA, Flash, or some amalgamation like AJAX. If the Pandora gets a fully featured JAVA RTE, then JAVA-based games should work. Same for Flash. As of right now, there is no guarantee of either.

but java is an enormous, hideous, lumbering monstrosity. I imagine getting games to run at a decent speed might be a problem.

Chip said:
sortableturnip said:
That depends on how the game was written. No advanced web application is written in straight HTML. They are usually JAVA, Flash, or some amalgamation like AJAX.
I'm probably being pedantic, but you need to distinguish between Java (virtual machine & API library, runs as a browser plugin) and Javascript (scripting language used to control webpage behaviour). The only thing they have in common is some superficial syntax similarities; it was a stupid naming decision by Netscape.

AJAX (Asynchronous Javascript and XML) doesn't use Java, and any modern port of Firefox ought to be able to run AJAX apps pretty well.

tazg said:
but java is an enormous, hideous, lumbering monstrosity. I imagine getting games to run at a decent speed might be a problem.
Yeah, everyone likes to take a dump on Java. There's no way you could write something complex like an emulator in it.

tazg said:

this can only come from someone who has no clue about modern java implementations. It is fast, modern java guis are responsive and with skill (thats needed not just for java guis) they look nice and professional.

you cannot compare an application like intellij running atop a Java 6 VM with some awt based java 1.1 stuff on your old win98 P133...we've come a long way and java is the language of choice for a lot of things. see what google did with android.

regarding browser games: ED said that maybe (maybe!) they'll license Flash from adobe in the future (the WIZ already has java support out of the box, btw).

atomicthumbs said:
EVE Online is written in Python, but you'll have to pressure CCP pretty hard to put it on there. Also, I'm not sure that the Pandora would be able to handle it.

Only some parts of the logic is handled in python, the rest is regular windows code

As for the Linux/Mac version it's the Windows binary wrapped with Cedega (ie not native)

Back