Evo Smart Console

I apologize if this is a repost but I searched and couldn't find anything.

Envizions has announced an "open source hybrid Linux gaming system" aimed at game developers. The EVO Smart Console is based on a 2.9GHz, 64-bit Athlon, includes its own Linux distro called Mirrors Evolution, and offers game-play, Internet access, VoIP, and HD video playback, Envizions says.

Marketed with the 1950's-era tag line of the "System of Tomorrow," the EVO Smart Console will sell for as little as $250 with rebates. It will offer "cloud" based computing applications, Amiga-based games, and an Akimbo-based VOD (video on demand) service with over 10,000 titles, says Alabama-based Envisions Computer Entertainment Corp.

Additional EVO Smart Console features include remote access, voice recognition, DVR, Internet television, HD video, social networking, streaming content, VoIP, and automatic backup storage, says the company. A virtualization capability is said to support running an authorized copy of Windows alongside Linux. In fact for $100 extra, the company will pre-install Windows on the Linux computer.
To read rest of the article click HERE

How is 250 dollars expensive for a dualcore 2.9ghz linux console with HD capabilities?

Sounds like a nice project. I might have to keep an eye on that... maybe this will evaporate like just another phantom or maybe this is actually going to be an open source xbox. If it sells, it might even contribute to the pandora software archive. Some games ought to be ported at some point.

xnopasaranx said:
How is 250 dollars expensive for a dualcore 2.9ghz linux console with HD capabilities?

Sounds like a nice project. I might have to keep an eye on that... maybe this will evaporate like just another phantom or maybe this is actually going to be an open source xbox. If it sells, it might even contribute to the pandora software archive. Some games ought to be ported at some point.
Thats my thoughts too. Who knows, maybe do like the DS and the wii by connecting them. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hooka said:
Bit expensive, and no wifi? Hmm, still interesting though...
Doesn't seem too bad, I was actually surprised that it wasn't over $400 :p I'm not sure how good the graphics card is though.

The real price is $600. They're expecting that it could go for as little as $250 with some sort of "bundle". You know, like how the iPhone is $199, but only if you sign away your soul to AT&T for two years.

They're probably hoping for a deal with an ISP or perhaps a streaming movie rental service.

Chip said:
The real price is $600. They're expecting that it could go for as little as $250 with some sort of "bundle". You know, like how the iPhone is $199, but only if you sign away your soul to AT&T for two years.

They're probably hoping for a deal with an ISP or perhaps a streaming movie rental service.

There is talks about something with DSL and Voip service. My hopes are low for the system because it doesn't seem to have the community backing it like the Pandora but it could be a neat little system.

If you do some sort of agreement with them for a year they take off $350 (store credit, or they mail you a check...), so if you've got $600 that you might get $350 of back in a year, it might be cheap...

I think it's some kind of iptv thing...

This could be dangerous. Beware.

This looks excatly like a 'Phantom console' back in 2005. If anyone else remembers it. It was the same type of device but never excatly got off the ground due to them being a scammy companny ready to steal money. Infinity labs was the company name i think.

but hey it could be like the DISCover (PC game console)... which also never really got off the ground. Though they did sale some.

Edit: Hahahha they still got there website up, though you can see that they only selling the keyboard which they created, and not the console. http://phantom.net

You can read about the console on wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org.

Heres the DISCover as well if your interested. DISCover

I remember the phantom, i would buy one of their keyboards if they weren't so expensive.
I hope the graphics card is upgradeable.

You lost me at Athlon :angry:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Intel fanboy, in fact, you're probably talking to the only person who ever bought a Cyrix processor. Still the Athlons were junk and are the main reason that AMD is struggling so bad right now.

Nightwheel said:
Wonderfull, a PC touted as a game console.

Also, If this thing is getting FCC tested. Then why isn't the Pandora getting FCC tested?
What, really? I thought you can't sell or produce devices commercially if they haven't been tested.

xnopasaranx said:
If it sells, it might even contribute to the pandora software archive. Some games ought to be ported at some point.
Like DC and GP32!!

Okay, now I'm excited!

Back