Gizmondo With Smart Adds Will Only Be 129 Pounds!

schaap2005

Website
Visit site
Groundbreaking Smart Adds model to hit retail at an amazing £129 price point

LONDON, 12th April 2005 - Gizmondo Europe Ltd, subsidiary of Jacksonville, Florida-based Tiger Telematics Inc. (other OTC, TGTL), today confirmed details of its previously outlined strategy for a new Smart Adds-enabled Gizmondo to retail alongside its standard model. Both will feature the same incredible functionality of console quality gaming, music, movies, messaging, a digital camera, and GPS, but the new Smart Adds Gizmondo will come pre-subscribed to the revolutionary ‘added value’ service at a compelling RRP of £129.

Smart Adds are a groundbreaking method of delivering TV-quality promotions via this mobile device, made possible by the Gizmondo’s GPRS connectivity, remarkable processing power, and graphical capabilities. Not available on any other device, Smart Adds are packaged free of charge to an enabled Gizmondo according to the owner’s personally selected areas of interest, their gender, age, and location. They come with a massive list of benefits like 20 free music downloads for the first 12 months, video downloads, films, games, and other exclusive content.

Some Smart Adds will contain redemption or barcodes that can be shown to a participating retailer for product discounts and free merchandise, whilst the onboard Global Positioning System hardware can even give directions to the nearest store.

No more than three Smart Adds will be sent to one of these enabled devices each day, they’re self-deleting to ensure relevance, and because of the sign up process, they’re so perfectly targeted they’ll make TV advertising look like spam.

The Smart Adds themselves will feature anything from new trainers, to video clips of new albums, movie and game trailers, DVD previews, even advi-games direct to the device. Most importantly they’re non-interruptive, i.e. a movie or a game will not be interrupted by the Smart Add, only when the user returns to the Home menu will be they be broadcasted to the device. Squarely focused on the MTV generation with similar tones and relevance to that particular audience, owners of this model will not receive ads for washing up liquids, tax return reminders, or stair lifts.

Dave Sibley, SVP & General Manager, International Marketing Partnerships, MTV Networks International, commented: “Smart Adds is certainly an extremely compelling proposition and an exciting addition to the media landscape - one which complements MTV's offering. We look forward to building on our existing marketing partnership with Gizmondo and hope to play a role in bringing the Smart Adds proposition to market. MTV has an unrivalled connection with the youth audience and a unique ability to create and tailor both content & commercial messages that resonate with Europe's young and young-minded - we are already sharing our expertise with Gizmondo to maximise the Smart Adds opportunity.”
MTV is the world’s largest television network and the leading multimedia brand for young adults. Internationally, MTV reaches 400 million households in 164 territories. It has been recognized as the “World’s Most Valuable Media Brand” for 5 consecutive years by Interbrand/BusinessWeek, and by the media business as the pre-eminent global youth sales operation, with sales offices throughout the world.
Like conventional TV advertising, Smart Adds will fall under Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) rules and regulations. The company is considering voluntary rating via the Broadcast Advertising Clearance Centre (BACC) and similar in each country where Smart Adds will be available.
Sue Elms, Managing Director, Carat Insight, says: “This is one of the most exciting and innovative media experiments we’ve ever had the opportunity to examine. The Smart Adds concept is where all marketers will be aiming to be in the future and our research will help outline its true potential for advertisers.”
Nina Faust, Head of Media, Warner Music, says: “Warner Music is excited at the prospect of being involved with a thrilling media opportunity such as Smart Adds”.
Danny Murray, UK Media Controller, Warner Bros. Entertainment UK, says: “We are very excited by the prospect of Gizmondo and look forward to seeing how the product develops from an advertising perspective”
Nicola Owens of Richmond Research, offered: "The results of our March questionnaire prove that within our panel of over 200 of the country's most senior marketers, 90% of all relevant advertisers are interested in Smart Adds".

Peter Lilley, Head of Smart Adds, says: “Imagine the emotional power of TV combined with the accountability of direct marketing, the accuracy of direct mail and the mobile interactivity of SMS; that’s what a Smart Add is. A Smart Adds-enabled Gizmondo is effectively being subsidized by the marketing budgets of major youth and product brands in return for showing the consumer their latest ads.” He continued, “The brands will have to be relevant and interesting to our demographic to be allowed on Smart Adds, and we believe they in turn will look forward to receiving them.”

The Smart Add-enabled device will come in two guises; a standard pack containing the enabled Gizmondo, battery, charger, earbud headphones, USB lead, and a contract free SIM card with £5 of credit, and a Value pack containing all the above and plus an extra £90 worth of accessories and games. These include Hifi stereo headphones instead of the earbuds, a recordable 128MB recordable SD card containing demos of games, films and music, a free copy of Trailblazer, and a voucher for the first ever GPS game, Colors.

The standard Smart Adds Gizmondo pack will retail at an amazing RRP of £129 ($245, €189) and the Extra Value pack at £199 ($375, €289), releasing on 22nd April in the UK, and will be available at launch in each territory as the global roll out continues. Final focus testing is being conducted until the end of April, with the full roll out of Smart Adds planned for 2nd May 2005.

Any customer who buys, or has bought, the non-Smart Adds Gizmondo can choose to upgrade their device, and will receive an electronic voucher for all the accessories included in the Extra Value Pack (or other accessories to the same value).

Carl Freer, Co-founder and Chairman, Tiger Telematics, says: “We’ve enjoyed an accelerated success with the Gizmondo, and in doing so have met the conditions we set ourselves for the introduction of this Smart Add-enabled version of the device. It’s attractive to the consumer not only because of the lower price point, but also as it could effectively pay for itself in product discounts and free merchandise.” He added, “This has always been a long-term strategy for us. The revenue when we reach a critical mass of 150,000 Smart Adds-enabled units should represent our bill of materials based on our calculations of costs. We are very excited about the prospect of offering cool advertising to our demographic. The MTV generation is here and is receptive to fun messages that communicate brand and value. Through Smart Adds we are approaching the ultimate paradigm of targeted relevant digital advertising that is broadly recognised as the future of marketing.”

Good news, I am going to buy an gp32 and a gizmondo, it's almost as cheap as the gp32!

Dont really care about the price, if its decent and has most emulators then i wouldnt mind one

Those smart-ad things sound a complete pain. I cant believe they seem to think the 'MTV generation' seems to love these sort of messages. I would much rather pay for the dearer version to stay clear of this sort of crap, then again i'm sure someone will come up with a hack quite soon after its released so you dont have to look at these smart add things.

No one likes crap like that, on mobile phones everyone hates the txt messages advertising some crap, on hotmail you never sign up for all the 'great' free newsletters etc and same with new internet sign ups etc. As for MTV i never watch those channels anymore as every 3 minutes theres a 2 minute advert for some stupid singing frog for a mobile. MTV2 used to be advert free but now sadly shows long annoying ad's.

Like others have said all because its cheap doesnt mean its great. And if it wont have tons of emulators as others have said then it'll be much dearer in the long run buying stand alone games for it

almost as cheap? See how much cheaper it is when you start buying games and stuff for it. I'd be interested to see how many people are actually interested in this system. From what i've heard it's not open source so that means no emulators or homebrew, until it's hacked at least.

btw, this should be in other consoles.

It is closed system and the screen is way too small, BAH. I don't care how cheap it would be.

Hmmm, according to that the SmartAdd's come down via GPRS, which means you need an active sim card, and enabled GPRS connection, so either you need to purchase another sim card, or use the Giz as your main phone. Ugh.

Also, doesn't your network provider charge for the amount you download via GPRS ? I very much doubt the manufacturer has setup there own network just for the Giz...

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if your in an area with no signal and it tries to download an ad, would it stop working until it could download the ad? If not, I'll buy one and then break the aerial off :)

WTFs -a "Smart-Add" ? An Add on to your device that is smart....

F******g Marketeers...

Awesome a new revolutionary way to get SPAM. I'm going to run out and buy one of these today because I don't see enough advertisments on a day to day basis and I need them while I'm on the go as well.

the jiz isn't a phone though and can't be used as a phone, it was in the review in that other thread in other games section. The sim cards are pre payed sim cards. So these ads would be using the pre paid sim cards. I don't know what network it is on but you won't have to pay like Cingulair for a service. I personally wouldn't want to spend money on a sim card to see commercials.

If you don't like the ads, just take out the sim card all together. The sim card, according to the review, is just for downloads and maybe text messaging, and now these smart adds. If you remove the sim card, no ads...right?

eh... don't care what all you guys say I want one. I hope and pray that some type of homebrew scene emerges for it... the thing is one powerful piece of hardware, possibly eclipsiong even the PSP. It just needs someone to make proper use of it.

It strikes me that they've really missed an opportunity with the Giz. Going up against the likes of Sony and Nintendo but trying to stand out by filling it with a load of features that no-one wants is daft at best. They should have forgotten about GPRS, cameras etc etc and sold it at cost with a price tag no higher than a GBA SP. They should have then gone to the programmer of every single decent shareware game and every software studio with a great back catalogue and said "Port your old games and we'll sell them for £15 on our website for you. You get £10, we get £5". Sensible have already released a port of Sensible Soccer for mobile phones... I'm sure they'd jump at the chance to port their back catalogue to the Giz if they thought they'd get sales.

Kids want handheld games consoles but parents dont want to pay £200+ for the system and then £30+ for each game - especially when little Billy has a habit of taking the games to school and losing them (I actually know a guy that now refuses to buy his son GBA games for exactly this reason). £60 for the console and £15 per game would be much more appealing, especially if the games were actually any good. With Sony and Ninty apparently determined to sell at prices the under 16s can't easily afford, there is a pretty big hole that a cheap system with a load of classic ports could easily fill. Classic Amiga games would be completely new to under 16s and graphically on a par with most current GBA games and those of us that can remember that far back would love it as a retro games system.

I know this all sounds stupidly pie-in-the-sky, but is it any more stupid than what Gizmondo are actually doing?

J(ohn)

my god ENOUGH with the SCREEN already!! It's NOT that small!!! It compares in size to a GBA or GBC screen... you guys need to stop being so spoiled by your GP's...

what I'M getting a bit miffed about is that there seems to be a HUGE disparity in the quality of the graphics between games when I check out the screenshots... some are near PS2 quality while others are more like PS1 quality, and then there's the rumor about many of the screenshots being faked... now that's enough to make me avoid the system altogether... since you wouldn't even know what to expect from it or how powerful it really is.

i think this is due to them introducing a new gfx processor quite late

so the early titles look a bit jagged, but the new ones such as colours look very nice

a homebrewn scene or emu scene depends on how many people/devs buy the system. For that cost, you could get a good pocket pc or palm and do everything but take pictures and then you'd already have the emulators and stuff.

Im tempted to try one of these but only when more decent games come out. I remember reading a review in some newspaper bout it. The review says,' We dont know much about it.' and then goes on to say,' From all the stuff we've found on the internet, it sounds good.' If they dont know much about it then how do they know its good? and thats my point. Y slate something when u havent even played it.

Found this, The video`s don`t give much away really, Except quite a few people (who have probably got quite a bit of cash invested in it) trying to ram the camera, Gps, Gprs etc down our throats including some guy from m$. Though they don`t sound too convinced themselves, Although the rally game does look pretty good (through a magnifying glass :p).

http://gizmondoarena.com/gizmondo/index.php

If this has been posted before, Just think of it as tv, A repeat.

Trooper

Replying to Gizmondo With Smart Adds Will Only Be 129 Pounds!
:lol: Ha I read that and forgot that british money is pounds!!

I was thinking it wieghed 129 lbs.(American Pounds) :lol: ;)

Back