Excellent Keyboard For Pandorians

Gecko.jsc said:
I would go for something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Stowaway-Ultra-Slim-Bluetooth-Keyboard-Handhelds/dp/B0002OKCXE
It uses bluetooth, it can fold and it has a vice-like thing that will clip onto the Pandora.

41tAtxEqjgL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
415IAK%2BS1QL._AA280_.jpg

That's the exact one I bought to use with my Pandora. It's really good, got it working under Linux and on S60.

Apple... ergh, I'd never buy that, it looks pretty big still to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nova said:
Well a lot of people will have different uses to you. I myself am planning on buying a roll up keyboard and taking notes in seminars.

possibility: you look up from the screen and everything is blurry. would make more sense to video your seminars.

I'm little confused why buy another small keyboard as Pandora have one already. OK Pandora have small "thump type" keyboard but those silly kind of small "mobile" keyboards with low profile and non standard layout is uncomfortable (my opinion and experience). So if I would use other keyboard for long typing then I use full size USB keyboard as it always fit to backpack if necessary.

Actually I buy Chicony KU-9865 and it has 2 port USB HUB. I realize that it is low and full speed only so another USB 2.0 HUB or USB-OTG reduction needed. I probably mod it and 2.0 4port HUB and battery inside it.

Looks like a nice keyboard, but I don't spend more than $20 on them.

I usually pick up on-sale I-Rocks keyboards.

http://www.i-rocksusa.com/products/KR-6600-BK.html
http://www.i-rocksusa.com/products/KR-6820E-BK.html

Durable, but I believe also plastic. ;)

I bought myself one of the slightly older apple keyboards about a year ago. It's virtually the same but it's full sized. I found a few things wrong with it: the layout is slighly different for certain symbols such as '@' so you have to get used to that, and there is no numlock key so at the moment I can't use my number pad (I haven't delved too far into this). I was hoping to make a lot more use out of the USB ports too, but it turned out that they only provided x amount of power and any devices that required more simply won't work, such as my 16gb flash drive, you might want to look into this.

Haha, I bought that Apple keyboard for my Pandora a month ago. I like the longer model, but didn't want to deal with trying to find a bag that could contain its additional length.

Another range of BT keyboards for PDA's: http://www.freedominput.com/shop?page=shop.browse&category_id=6

(they have also a Qwertz version)

Awakening said:
I wonder if the special keys could somehow be programmable on the Pandora, this is a Mac keyboard after all.
They are. I used the predecessor on a Linux box and it's fairly straightforward (or rather it were if I could remember how to do it precisely).

These media keys are regular keys like any other. They send their code and Linux and/or X11 responds accordingly. You just need to find out which keycodes it sends, map them to events X11 can understand and then tell your desktop environment what to do when those events occur (some events might already be preconfigured). For example, I had F15 lock the screen.

Sorry but I can't tell you how to do it exactly but you should be able to figure it out with a bit of googling.

I have the full size version of this one and I can honestly say I kinda prefer it over standard ones, now. It does take a little getting used to since the keys are a bit closer together, and shallower, but I find the actual flat tops of the keys are actually LARGER than the key tops on most standard keyboard. It's easier to hit somewhere on the key and get it to press down, rather than miss and jam your finger between a couple keys, like on a normal keyboard. I can also say that I actually type faster on this than a normal keyboard, and that's with my really horrible accuracy (I'm really clumsy and uncoordinated...).

I have both the BT Wireless Apple KB and the full 101-key USB version and the only thing I'd change is to make the 101-key version Bluetooth .. this would rock, indeed.

But I don't plan on using either with the Pandora, which after all should have a keyboard that is good enough for most things.

I've got one of these lined up and ready to go:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2009/sep09/09-09bmk6000pr.mspx

Separate numpad ftw! Not to mention awkwardly placed but existent home/end pageup/pagedown keys.

I've also got the old and new Apple aluminium bluetooth keyboards, and the larger wired one with numpad/home/end keys. I'm pretty used to typing on Apple keyboards, so the key travel isn't an issue for me. I did try using the SteelSeries 7g which is close in response to the Model M (it's a mechanical keyboard) but the total lack of a left Windows Key (IE: Apple Key) is fatal in OSX.

I tried a roll-up keyboard, too, they're AWFUL. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid!

Anyway, my choice for the Pandora would be the Microsoft 6000, it's not as shiny as the Apple alternative, but the gaming potential in that separate (also bluetooth) numpad cannot go ignored.

Back