F200 Issues

b._.o._.b

I love my F200 but there are still some incompatibilities like.
- The Atari emulators from ZX-81 (not only Stella)
- O2em
These emulators went black after starting. Maybe more emulators or homebrew suffer from this problem.

Also the loud volume issue is rather annoying and I hope someone can make a patch for the firmware (or GPH releasing an update). I don't like risking losing my guarantee so don't want to tweak the hardware (yet).

Is someone or GPH working on this?

If you hold [-] on bootup, the startup sound isn't played. Other apps being really loud on startup need to be fixed by developers I think. GpSP is quite annoying because the volume step is very low so you have to press [-] a lot of times to turn it down slightly.

Echomote said:
If you hold [-] on bootup, the startup sound isn't played.
I've never heard about this before. Hope it works on my F100!

Last edited by a moderator:
Blah said:
I replaced my F100 (mk2)'s bootsound with silence a long time ago.
I don't blame you. I really dislike the boot sound.

Echomote said:
If you hold [-] on bootup, the startup sound isn't played. Other apps being really loud on startup need to be fixed by developers I think. GpSP is quite annoying because the volume step is very low so you have to press [-] a lot of times to turn it down slightly.
The boot-up sound isn't my biggest problem. There are emulators that are pretty loud even on the lowest volume. The best way to solve it would be the source, and that is the firmware.

I thought it was necessary to keep the issues with the F200 centralized so I've added the issues in the wiki.
It is fair to keep everybody informed about the known issues, that way everybody can make a good decision buying one is a good idea.

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/F-200

I think the information is correct, but if anyone thinks it is not please let me know and I will change it accordingly .

b_o_b said:
I thought it was necessary to keep the issues with the F200 centralized so I've added the issues in the wiki.
It is fair to keep everybody informed about the known issues, that way everybody can make a good decision buying one is a good idea.

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/F-200

I think the information is correct, but if anyone thinks it is not please let me know and I will change it accordingly .

You could mention that the stick click button is no longer usable
also that the NAND is no longer accessible (at least I haven't managed to touch it at all)
and that the D-Pad is a 4-independant buttons disappointment =(

also there are a lot more soft that doesnt work imho... see the f200 compatibility thread

xcen said:
You could mention that the stick click button is no longer usable
also that the NAND is no longer accessible (at least I haven't managed to touch it at all)
and that the D-Pad is a 4-independant buttons disappointment =(

also there are a lot more soft that doesnt work imho... see the f200 compatibility thread
Good points!

Added the stick click, NAND issue and made a comment about the d-pad.

Haven't found any other software that is incompatible in the threads I've read (only Nethack because of the missing stick click). Maybe I'm missing something?
Some software (like Mame2X) is already updated. I don't think it is necessary to add them.

I'm working on a list of my own experience with something like 2-3gigs of software... should be posted this week on that other thread but I'll try and notify you as well.

Nethack is still playable, you can pickup stuff with L+X (from memory, and it might just be the Cadu Hacks version)

The ASCII port of nethack comes with a virtual keyboard and works fine too

I'm not regretting my F200 but I feel sad about not being able to telnet into it everyday =(

and I feel like buffing the edges of the DPAD buttons... sooo annoying =s I am glad someone already modded it, I'm hoping to do the same

as for NAND... some applications are not working because of it (i.e: that application that lets you change the startup sound is plain not working)

I'll keep ya posted

About the NAND, the device is /dev/loop/7 the mount point /mnt/nand , SD is /dev/mmcsd/disc0/part1 mountpoint /mnt/sd.
Still devfs, not udev. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing your experiences xcen.

I've had the same problem with NAND access. Used sterm and changed permissions with chmod for /mnt/nand after that I could access it, but there was no content (no hidden files as well).

b_o_b said:
Thanks for sharing your experiences xcen.

I've had the same problem with NAND access. Used sterm and changed permissions with chmod for /mnt/nand after that I could access it, but there was no content (no hidden files as well).
I did a cat /etc/fstab, then tried to mount /mnt/nand, got invalid argument for /dev/loop. /dev/loop is usually made for mounting disk images (.img or .iso), but I couldn't find anything that looks like an image.

I tried to run mc (Midnight Commander) under sterm, it didn't work.

xcen said:
I'd like to find a way to use a usb keyboard with sterm, too.
Or at least a more comfortable virtual keyboard, such as this used in zx81's emulators (GP2XCap32).

yeah it sucks I don't have time to look into all of this

+my knowledge of linux is minimal and I can't even code (what a shame)

I hear USB keyboard should work no problem, but I have yet to be able to make ANY USB device work with the F200-Cradle combo

if someone has any type of experience concerning this, please post!

Back