Release Fallout 1 / 2 Community Edition

jedi23

Very Active Member
I made Fallout 1 Community Edition and Fallout 2 Community Edition available to play on your Pyra.

Make sure to edit the SCR _WIDTH and SCR_HEIGHT values in f1_res.ini / f2_res.ini.
You can have full 720p resolution (SCR _WIDTH=1280 and SCR_HEIGHT=720) but it makes the graphics and HUD too small!
I recommend to use 480p 16:9 resolution (SCR_WIDTH=854 and SCR_HEIGHT=480).

Last edited:
I tested fallout 1 and I got the same problem I found with openJO.

Launching the dbp with dbp-run-path just shows nothing on the console but the process keeps open forever.

When I shut down pyra after testing this it stalls for a while because there is a pending task.

I tested fallout 1 and I got the same problem I found with openJO.

Launching the dbp with dbp-run-path just shows nothing on the console but the process keeps open forever.
There must be an issue with your Debian OS. Did you try running the games after booting a fresh Buster image from SD card?

When I shut down pyra after testing this it stalls for a while because there is a pending task.
My Pyra sometimes also takes long time until it shuts down completely. The desktop environments exits quickly but it takes some time until the LED turns off. The screen is black, but when I press a button, it reports pending tasks. But I don't have any issues running dbp's from the repository. I'm not sure what triggers this behaviour but maybe it is related to the dbp daemon?

Last edited:
Due to the lack of a Pandora Handheld, unfortunately no. Maybe @Farox could step in.

There must be an issue with your Debian OS. Did you try running the games after booting a fresh Buster image from SD card?
That's my actual scenario. I have got bookworm in the nand but because the keyboard and sound issues I'm using buster from a SD card. The installation is almost as new, just updated packages.

My Pyra sometimes also takes long time until it shuts down completely. The desktop environments exits quickly but it takes some time until the LED turns off. The screen is black, but when I press a button, it reports pending tasks. But I don't have any issues running dbp's from the repository. I'm not sure what triggers this behaviour but maybe it is related to the dbp daemon?
Yes, I know, but I get an explicit message when shutting down stating there is a pending task (with a countdown timer). And without exception I get it every time I shut down after launching Fallout or OpenJO.

That's my actual scenario. I have got bookworm in the nand but because the keyboard and sound issues I'm using buster from a SD card. The installation is almost as new, just updated packages.
Even with your issues on Bookworm, you can still try if the games run from there and report back.

I tested in bookworm and it shows same behavior. Process keeps running on background and a pending task when turning off Pyra.

Again no feedback even using pnd-run-path.

@asimov-solensan : I don't have the device, so I'm not sure how it works but have you tried to put the DBP inside the same SD where the OS is ?

I'm wondering if there are some kind of fixed paths in the automation that are unable to work in your Pyra actual setting.

It works like a charm for me, maybe for some people are missing some packages that prevent it from running, it might be mentioned in de DBP as dependencies such is the case for other packages. I might have had luck having already the needed packages.

Running Fallout 1, the GOG release, really great work.

Currently trying to be my charming self and win by charm!

Hmm there is a problem that arises, I think the path's are not accesable for saves, I cant save my character or the game, quite an essential feature for this game!

Not sure If it is edditable in the ini file or needs a hard redirect in the source code.

Did not notice it before because I decided to start over better next time :D

@jedi23 any insights on this?

Hmm there is a problem that arises, I think the path's are not accesable for saves, I cant save my character or the game, quite an essential feature for this game!

Not sure If it is edditable in the ini file or needs a hard redirect in the source code.
Oh thats quite an issue, thanks for reporting! As you wrote, there's nothing we can change in the ini or config files and must be changed in the source code.
I will look to find a solution and report back.

Last edited:
I report back :)

The problem is already known and discussed on github

To make saving possible in Fallout1-ce, just rename the "DATA" folder to "data".

For Fallout2-ce, a change in the sourcecode needed to be done and I uploaded a new dbp!

Happy saving :D

Back