FALLOUT originals on Pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dosbox tends to run things slower than Qemu seems.

Oddly, I have a Dos6.22 img and installer for the hard drive, but it runs slower than if I use a DRDos image from the Wiki and it works faster. I'm not sure why, but I imagine some of the tools and drivers are a little more efficient than the ones that come on the Dos6.22 image. Strange! Later when I tweak the image a bit for optimum performance, I'll Dropbox it to share here.

I did have to rip my own Fallout.iso from my retail disc, which contains the DOS version, which runs much faster than the Win95 version. But at least it's playable!

Dosbox tends to run things slower than Qemu seems.

Oddly, I have a Dos6.22 img and installer for the hard drive, but it runs slower than if I use a DRDos image from the Wiki and it works faster. I'm not sure why, but I imagine some of the tools and drivers are a little more efficient than the ones that come on the Dos6.22 image. Strange! Later when I tweak the image a bit for optimum performance, I'll Dropbox it to share here.

I did have to rip my own Fallout.iso from my retail disc, which contains the DOS version, which runs much faster than the Win95 version. But at least it's playable!
I have the Dos version but  have no Idea how to set it up through Qemu so a preset image/setup would be great!!

ive been playing fallout with dosbox EX without any additional tinkering. did you try that?

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=dosbox-ex-app
How did you get it working? Every time I run it in Dosbox EX, it shows the "Please Stand By" screen and then fades to a blank screen. Nothing happens after that.
it just worked for me. its not really enjoyable tho. its slow, playable, but slow and the mouse pointer is a tad off (which is most annoying).

Alright! Here we are, an Optimized Qemu Dos Image specifically for playing Fallout 1 with.

You will need: An ISO of the original Retail Fallout Disc with the Dos Version of Fallout on it. (Other ISOs may not be guaranteed to work)

The reason for this is obviously, I can't include a retail version of Fallout within the image, but also have discovered a full install of Fallout to the Qemu image actually slows it down even more than running it from the mounted ISO.

Configuring Qemu:

Set your Pandora to at least 800mhz (I had mine set to 900mhz, seemed to work best)

Set at least 128MB of Ram for the VM to run

In Other Options: Set Full Screen, Disable ACPI & HPET Emulation, Disable NE200 network Adapter

Mount your HDD Image as well as the CDRom ISO, and Launch. When it boots, you'll be left with a Dos Prompt telling you to simply type Fallout.  I've pre-installed the basic install of Fallout to the image, so if your ISO is good, it should just start loading.

Loading screens may be a bit slow, and press enter to skip the videos, as they will be choppy and sluggish and at this time there's no way around that.

But once you're in, you can create characters, play, save, everything you can normally do! Sound works as well. It is a smidge slower than playing on an actual PC, but it is playable! Nubs may generate erratic behavior from time to time, it is recommended to use an external mouse.

Here's the Dropbox Image!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fnx05ft2xii4w9x/Fallout.qcow2?dl=0

Cool, I don't have Fallout, but still may be a good base for other demanding DOS games.

The disk image with the best running combination of tools and Univbe that ran Fallout 1 the best under Qemu. I tried several images and combinations, even built some of my own and this particular one ran the best under Qemu for me, compared to other ready made images.

Oddly, under one version using my own official Dos 6.22 installler disk, I couldn't get it to actually save the game, another ran so slow it took literally minutes to load the game.

On the Qemu Wiki, there's other specific images built for other games, but wasn't one for Fallout. But if Fallout runs this well under Qemu, the same image might be usable for other games that didn't run so well under other VM's.

This particular image has DRDos, Himemx.exe from Freedos as well as LBACache, CDRom support, mouse support, the updated Univbe67 preinstalled, Fallout1 basic install, pretty much all you need to just run and go except for the Iso itself.

Back