Fba2x - Finalburn Alpha Beta 6 Released

If people remember the first Final Burn by Dave was originally the first CPS2 emulator. It started off emulating certain sega hardware then CPS2. What made Final Burn so amazing was it screamed on my 350mhz pentium II. Eventually MAME started emulating the CPS2 stuff, but of course it was quite slow on many computers at the time. This is what makes this emu so nice on the GP2X. Plus, this emu is a port of an ARM version of Final Burn so it runs quite nice on the GP2X. I believe this emu could really become something great, and it is certainly already amazing. I finally found a wiki page for this emu. Maybe some of us can start working on it again. When I get time I might try to update it. http://wiki.gp2x.org/index.php?title=Final...amp;redirect=no

what good games does this play that no other emulators can run? I'm pretty happy with the current emulation of neo geo and cps2 on other emulators so thats not so important to me. Though of course it is always nice to have a choice.

jbrodack said:
what good games does this play that no other emulators can run? I'm pretty happy with the current emulation of neo geo and cps2 on other emulators so thats not so important to me. Though of course it is always nice to have a choice.
It may be because it plays cps1 games flawless without any overclock or needing heck of bioses and stuff ; and it also emulates some relatively obscure hardware such as toaplan etc and games like donpachi run great.

I also have to agree I like it better than mame or cps2emu on gp2x

By the way about Cps2 games marked as working ; are they the ones that can run without gfx dumps ? that stuff is troublesome - 'mendokusai'

They seemed like the lighter games compared to others to me that's why

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
How many games did you test? I didn't try any CPS2 on FBA as the sound on all other stuff like CPS1 is very stuttery/garbled/distorted. Is the sound for CPS2 on this as good/clear as the dedicated CPS2 one? Maybe the difference is that extra chip?
Just DDTOM. I listened to the sound carefully this time around and it is a little more scratchy. I normally do not wear hearphones and with sufficient background noise I don't hear small inconsistencies.
With headphones I'm sure it would be a different story!

Though I love CPS2EMU, I don't like have the large graphic dump files :-(
I know I can remove the graphic roms from the original rom-zips but I prefer to keep them intact.

As a result, if FBA2x plays the CPS2 games that I like, CPS2EMU may not be required for me anymore.

The regular FBA still supports additional games that FBA2x currently does not so there is still big scope for this to become a very complete emulator. Many of these are already emulated in MAME but with FBA2x being somewhat more efficient I'd probably choose FBA2x to play these games.

I'm still amazed at being able to play Don Pachi at such a lovely speed! :)

craigix said:
It would be quite cool if someone made a front end for ALL the current arcade emus which ran the best emu for the game.

It could just look like the MAME front end but when playing say a CPS1 game it didn't use mame but this emu etc.

I imagine the package would include all the arcade emus in one neat set.
enexfi (by jycet) might be able to be used for this, since it does file association, however the interface is more of a file explorer than a rom selector obviously. and i don't know which of the arcade emus support launching roms from command line. i wish they all did :(

with mame, i do like having all the options before i launch the game, i guess that'd be a downside.

I updated the Compatibility List. I have now completely tested all of the supported ROM sets, with the corrects sets. I also did some retesting, and I didn't find any mistakes. No else seems to have commented on any errors either, so I guess it's pretty solid (I hope). :p

Could anyone here please tell HeadOverHeels to take a look at the list? I hope that it can be used to further improve FBA2X. ;)

This can be one of the best emulator on the gp2x, it's so amazing it plays cps1,cps2,mame,neo geo all in one emulator that 4 arcade systems it will be even better when we get sega games working on it no emulator has played so many top arcade games, well done headoverheels.

slaanesh said:
DaveC said:
How many games did you test? I didn't try any CPS2 on FBA as the sound on all other stuff like CPS1 is very stuttery/garbled/distorted. Is the sound for CPS2 on this as good/clear as the dedicated CPS2 one? Maybe the difference is that extra chip?
Just DDTOM. I listened to the sound carefully this time around and it is a little more scratchy. I normally do not wear hearphones and with sufficient background noise I don't hear small inconsistencies.
With headphones I'm sure it would be a different story!

Though I love CPS2EMU, I don't like have the large graphic dump files :-(
I know I can remove the graphic roms from the original rom-zips but I prefer to keep them intact.

As a result, if FBA2x plays the CPS2 games that I like, CPS2EMU may not be required for me anymore.

The regular FBA still supports additional games that FBA2x currently does not so there is still big scope for this to become a very complete emulator. Many of these are already emulated in MAME but with FBA2x being somewhat more efficient I'd probably choose FBA2x to play these games.

I'm still amazed at being able to play Don Pachi at such a lovely speed! :)

Ehi Slaanesh but Empire City??? ;) ... I love this game... :p

Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon (sailormn, sailormo)

Screen goes black and locks up after the loading progress bar reaches %100

I've checked to make sure it's a good dump ; tried downloading from different romsites but none worked

Also is it just me or Cps1 games' sound is poor ? a low khz setting maybe

Not a big deal compared to being able to play almost half of cps2 games full speed without gfx files or something ; though :)

Alghazanth said:
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon (sailormn, sailormo)

Screen goes black and locks up after the loading progress bar reaches %100

I've checked to make sure it's a good dump ; tried downloading from different romsites but none worked

Also is it just me or Cps1 games' sound is poor ? a low khz setting maybe

Not a big deal compared to being able to play almost half of cps2 games full speed without gfx files or something ; though :)

Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon works. Yours is probably a good dump, but it could be that it's not formatted to the one FBA2X accepts.

CPS-1 sound is definitely poor, but I think it will be improved on the future releases. :p

Sailor Moon works fine for me as well. It's definitely a rom set issue. For me TruxtonII used to work, now it doesn't. I checked the roms and they have the same crc's. It loads them then quits to the desktop. I really do appreciate all the effort HoH is putting into this. Also is there a way to donate to him? I also need to send Squidge a donation as well for starting this project.

I can announce you that Juanvvc from GP32Spain is about releasing Capex for FBA2X :)

At this moment is a private beta than some betatesters are testing :D

And i believe than a new beta of FBA2X from Headoverheels is coming soon too ;)

Rivroner said:
I can announce you that Juanvvc from GP32Spain is about releasing Capex for FBA2X :)

Fantastic news - I actually contacted Juanvvc the other day regarding a hack he'd created to work around the USB pad button assignment issue has...can't wait to see this :)

Rivroner said:

Great! I'm looking forward to that.

(Too bad I can't speak Spanish, I definitely would have volunteered to be a beta tester. ;) )

@Rivroner: Do you think HeadOverHeels is aware of the Compatibility List I made? I really want FBA2X to improve as much as possible, and this is pretty much all I can do to help. :D

Thanks. Good to hear. :lol:

I'm eagerly awaiting both the new FBA2X release & the frontend. :D

PERSONAL DETAILS REMOVED.

Firstly, You have posted your request in the wrong forum, If you need help, Please open a new topic in the correct forum and not hijack someone else`s topic.

Secondly, It is unwise to post personal information about one`s self via the internet on a public forum for all to see.

pistol_pete said:
You are hijacking this thread. Would be better to post this in the section help, this seems to be a more general problem than Fba2x only.

pistol_pete said:
I got a GP2X (F-200) 4 x-mas and I still can't get it to work....

Are you kidding me? Why post this in the NEWS forum, under the even more specific FBa2X thread? Is this some kind of troll? Who posts their own name, e-mail, and telephone number, for God's sake, on the internets these days? A mod needs to educate this person.

BTW, back on topic, I'm very excited about having FBa2X, even though I haven't had the opportunity to test it out on my GP2X yet. I remember the original FBa emu for PC running very fast on low specs back in the day, and that makes me feel it is very promising! Thanks so much to the developer, and all contributors to the GP2X, for making and keeping it a vibrant platform for retro gaming, my favorite use for my GP2X. Thanks so much!!!

Back