Feature requests for HF6

It is common on most modern Linux distributions that the user can choose from different kernels at startup (usually via grub). It should not be too hard to implent this on the pandora, so using the DSP would be a simple matter of rebooting the device.

Most of the time the Pandoras memory is not filled up, so I see no problem spending the extra 32MB - an if there is a special piece oft software that needs most of the RAM that it is just a reboot away.

What short - term benefits would we gain from activly using the DSP ? And by "short - term" I means things that would likely be happening fast (= implementing/activating is easily doable)

Last edited by a moderator:
^ This. I think there should be an option to select from two kernels at boot or configure which kernel is used for next boot from the OS. For now I think the default should be the non-DSP version, because AFAIK there isn't that much stuff available that uses the DSP yet.

make it project holograms of pretty ladies.

R2D2_Hologram_Projector_Robot.jpg

It is common on most modern Linux distributions that the user can choose from different kernels at startup (usually via grub). It should not be too hard to implent this on the pandora, so using the DSP would be a simple matter of rebooting the device....
Yes, but: If we add features this way, we stuck in bunch of kernels and rebooting very often just because to switch some feature.

---

I'm not reading carefully so I don't know what kernel with DSP brings, but I wish to have selectable TV-out (S-Video vs Composite). So this means to choice between 4 kernels at boot time: DSP + S-Video, not DSP + S-Video, DSP + Composite and not DSP + Composite. However - changing video output wouldn't be an issue, because user usually use only one forever.

---

User even can install only kernels that he needs. But user in meaning "only user" or "just gamer, not computer user" can be confused with this. Other thing is - how much time/work is this for developers to build separate kernels like described above? May be this could be done for testing purposes. Anyway, I thing that such things could be switch on the fly.

Back