Feature requests for HF6

Something that fixes/prevents the fact that some units get a puffed up battery, it seems to scare away new users.

Last edited by a moderator:
vpn support/enabled (openvpn/vpnc ?)

There's openvpn package in angstrom repo, but when I try to connect it fails while creating TUN/TAP interface. I'd guess pandora lacks some drivers.

Openvpn device, you might have to create /dev/net/tun with major 10 minor 200 before it'll be found (assuming the support is in the kernel, try modprobe tun if it isn't)

Feature requests...

Any chance we could stop the internal pnds being mounted in /usr/ somewhere, it causes problems with unions, can they not be mounted somewhere more usual, like /mnt/?

Some way to switch to a standard console other than sudo chvt 1 would be nice too -.o

Suspend to RAM

DSP support
Yes, yes, DSP support should be at the top of the list.

You'd need to sacrifice 32MB of RAM just for the DSP.

Do you really want this?
is it not possible to make it switchable between on and off and usage modes? at the moment it is such uncharted territory i think most people would just like the chance to have a go with it, just to see.

is it not possible to make it switchable between on and off and usage modes? at the moment it is such uncharted territory i think most people would just like the chance to have a go with it, just to see.

the support would be built into the kernel, so to switch on and off would be switching kernels, it's perfectly possible to do it like that, though it's probably best if the dsp is off by default, and anything that uses it gives good instructions of how to turn it on, including the consequences of a slight ram-nerfing

What about settings for TV-out? I mean to allow switch between S-Video and composite.

Both can only be done directly within the kernel right now, not in userspace.

No idea how easy and / or much work it is to get that into userspace. TV Out should be easier than DSP though.

notaz should know that.

the support would be built into the kernel, so to switch on and off would be switching kernels, it's perfectly possible to do it like that, though it's probably best if the dsp is off by default, and anything that uses it gives good instructions of how to turn it on, including the consequences of a slight ram-nerfing
thats cool. i am pretty aware of how complicated a beast it is, so i hope i didn't come across like i took its difficulty lightly. there does however come a stage though where if it is a feature that will be "off" pretty much permanently then it might be better not advertised or featured on any advertising. it just ends up a bit mis-representative, and this isn't a critisism at all, just something to be aware of in the long run

You'd need to sacrifice 32MB of RAM just for the DSP.

Do you really want this?
Personally yes. I've monitored my RAM usage and the only time I exceed 200MB is when trying to run Firefox, and when I do that I've got a swap file on anyway. 32MB to use the DSP is a small price to pay.

yes I also think that the 32mb ram is worth it to make the DSP avaialble, also im sure its been discussed before but with some hacking it might be able to use the ram only when needed and allow the system to keep the 32mb for itself in the mean time, cant remember where i wrote this and im sure they said it would be difficult but should be possible.

anyway DSP is deffo something we need.

also im sure its been discussed before but with some hacking it might be able to use the ram only when needed and allow the system to keep the 32mb for itself in the mean time

that'd involve remapping the memory at runtime, before and after any dsp code has been running, and making sure the method used is thread safe etc, would be rather hard but there isn't anything stopping it being done (in theory)

Unless there are massive disadvantages to DSP usage (outside RAM sacrifice), we should get it in ASAP. IMO....

Started exaile playing some music, opened Midori with 2 tabs, and started SNES9x. 120MB still free.

Add on Abiword with a fairly large document: 90MB free

Throw in Evince with a giant PDF: 60MB free. Getting closer.

Start VLC playback of Big Buck Bunny (extremely slow at this point): 27MB free!

So there you go, if you run Exaile, open a few tabs in Midori, play SNES, have a couple of large documents and a video playing in the background, you will not be able to use the DSP because we don't have enough RAM.

Also if you run Firefox all by itself without a swapfile. Seriously, what does Firefox do with it all?

Started exaile playing some music, opened Midori with 2 tabs, and started SNES9x. 120MB still free.

Add on Abiword with a fairly large document: 90MB free

Throw in Evince with a giant PDF: 60MB free. Getting closer.

Start VLC playback of Big Buck Bunny (extremely slow at this point): 27MB free!

So there you go, if you run Exaile, open a few tabs in Midori, play SNES, have a couple of large documents and a video playing in the background, you will not be able to use the DSP because we don't have enough RAM.

Also if you run Firefox all by itself without a swapfile. Seriously, what does Firefox do with it all?

Isn't it possible that with the DSP available, there will less need for large buffers in Exaile or VLC thus memory usage may go down? It'd be great if it was a kernel driver that could be selected at boot time, but I think an experimental fork of the OS with it in, could give developers and risk-takers a chance to try it out and see if the RAM loss is acceptable for the potential performance/battery-life gains.

Edit: Is it a binary blob that has to be built in?

Back