Felicitations!

andyhamer

Happy Chinese New Year (The Year of The Tiger) to one and all, and lets hope there is cause for celebration within this community sooner rather than later.

Anyone here born in a tiger year? some include, 1962, 1974, 1986 (maybe an extra shiny Pandora for you)

The celebrations have now officially started, so not long before MP starts in earnest - i just hope the factory employees celebrate a little less than everybody else in the country.

You keep starting off-topic threads.

You do know that there are more exciting places to visit than Pandora forums, right?

I didn't know

but thanks for the heads up - i do now

Not my intention to irritate anyone, new to forums/posting etc not quite up to speed with the etiquette yet.

spamfisher said:
Not my intention to irritate anyone, new to forums/posting etc not quite up to speed with the etiquette yet.
Protip: lurk moar when you join a forum so you don't put your foot in your mouth and piss everyone off.
Protip2: This works for other social situations too, don't walk up to someone in Thailand and put your feet near their face. Try to learn what's okay and what's not by observation not by trial and error. Otherwise people will very quickly associate your username with amateurishness and will stop acknowledging your posts.

Also you quoted Sony wrong. If you click "Reply" under someone's post it will automatically add a quote in to your reply and you can edit the quote down to only the section that's relevant ( notice I didn't quote your whole post?)

Oh I just realized, did you say you are new to FORUMS not just to this forum?
Well you will learn pretty quickly that people have almost completely irrational responses to behaviour that would normally not be that big of a deal ( like posting in the wrong section) - that's called "Flaming" and it's a bad thing for both of you. I would suggest reading Eric Raymond's article "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way." It discusses communicating with people, and specifically with technical people. That's partially what this forum is, and it's a very interesting article that will help you not piss people off.

Last edited by a moderator:
rabidpoobear said:
spamfisher said:
Protip: lurk moar when you join a forum so you don't put your foot in your mouth and piss everyone off.
Protip2: This works for other social situations too, don't walk up to someone in Thailand and put your feet near their face. Try to learn what's okay and what's not by observation not by trial and error. Otherwise people will very quickly associate your username with amateurishness and will stop acknowledging your posts.

Also you quoted Sony wrong. If you click "Reply" under someone's post it will automatically add a quote in to your reply and you can edit the quote down to only the section that's relevant ( notice I didn't quote your whole post?)

Oh I just realized, did you say you are new to FORUMS not just to this forum?
Well you will learn pretty quickly that people have almost completely irrational responses to behaviour that would normally not be that big of a deal ( like posting in the wrong section) - that's called "Flaming" and it's a bad thing for both of you. I would suggest reading Eric Raymond's article "How to Ask Questions the Smart Way." It discusses communicating with people, and specifically with technical people. That's partially what this forum is, and it's a very interesting article that will help you not piss people off.

Thailand you say.

rabidpoobear said:
don't walk up to someone in Thailand and put your feet near their face.

(offtopic sorry!)

I've always wondered why this is the first piece of advice you hear people giving about Thailand, or it's one of the first examples given of how cultures can differ.

You know I've been to Thailand several times. And I've never had to stop and think "Oh hang on, I better not point at people with my feet". Why? Because I, and I think pretty much any sane human being(!), would never think to do that anyway. In all my life I've never pointed at anything with my feet and I'm pretty sure if somebody did it in my country it would cause some offence, or at least a hell of a lot of confusion!

I'm not saying people shouldn't be made aware of these differences but there's a whole lot of more reasonable examples to give. Don't put a book on the floor, or make sure you pass things with either your right or both hands (not just your left), never (ever!) talk disrespectfully about the Monarchy. You're far more likely to accidentally do one of these things in Thailand than hovering your foot on somebody's field of vision!

Back