[fenix] Vertical Text?

Quiest

I like turtles!
Is it possible in Fenix to turn text by 90 and 270 degree? And maybe 180 degree?

If so, how?

Quiest posted on Aug 6 2005 at 03:15 PM said:
Is it possible in Fenix to turn text by 90 and 270 degree? And maybe 180 degree?

If so, how?

well im a fenix noob but i would think to get vertical text u could just code a letter to be displayed there then move up or down how ever many pixiles then code a nother letter and so on. Maybe not the most efective way but it would work.

Bourbon

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, I already thought of that, but this way, the letters won`t be turned and there will be so much lines of extra code... that`s why I`m asking if there is some kind of a flags variable (used to turn/mirror sprites) to turn the text...

Besides, doing that for displaying highscores is just too much efford...

well for high scores you could just make numbers 0-9 in pain in what ever size and angle you want and on the same color as the background then convert them to be used in fenix. then set them up as varaiables so say the score is 1003300 it will just display varabile 1, variable 0..........and so on tho you would on use this if you cant find out if you can do it the way you sujusted.

Bourbon

Yeah, how many lines of extra code will that be? No no, since this could work, it`s much too complicated for simple variable view... I have to think of something else...

WRITE_IN_MAP (INT font, INT center flags, STRING text);
it returns a map with the desired text.

usage:
text_map=write_in_map(....);

now you can apply text_map as a process graph and change its rotation, scale.. etc

Woohoo thanks!

Could you maybe supply me with a little example, as I don`t know
how to apply a text map as a graph!

Code:
process hud();
 private
   text_map;
 begin
   text_map=write_in_map(0,0, "Highscore");
   loop
     frame;
    end;
  end;

What to do then? Or is the text_map automatically bound to the process it is called from?

Is it just graph=text_map; ?

EDIT:
If I just use it like this, it just displays the centerflag on screen :blink:

Code:
program test;
 begin
   set_mode(640,480,16);

hud(320,240);
  end;

process hud(x,y);
 private
   string text_map;
 begin
   text_map=write_in_map(0,2, "Highscore");   
   graph=text_map;   
   loop
     frame;
    end;
  end;

Also, do I have to have a process for every single write command?
Or do I just have to turn the map once and use write_in_map on it as much as I want?
If I need more than one or two extra processes, I will stay away from that solution, as the game I`m working on already has some slowdowns when to many enemies are on screen...

Something like this

Code:
process wite_rotated(font,x,y,center,angle,string text)

begin

graph = write_in_map(font,center,text);

loop
  z =  text_z;
  frame;
end

end

//Usage:
//Create ->
var = write_rotated(0,320,240,0,90000,"Highscore");
//delete ->
unload_map(0,var.graph);
signal(var,s_kill);

would do it no?

Not all that sure about the order of the write_in_map parameters, don't know if the documentation is to trust here.

Good to be back from holiday again, hello all :).

Okay just had time to use it for a minigame I`m currently coding, and I wanted to let you know something:

The write_in_map(font,center,text); parameters are kinda twisted, thats why it was displaying the center flags on screen instead of the text, center and text simply have to change places:

write_in_map(font,text,center);

Back