Fennec

fusion_power said:
I find this fennec interesting. For people who are able to test it onto the Pandora I would like to know how fast/good/stable does this Browser run, compared to other Browsers onto the Pandora? :)
I would like to know this too as Midori seems to be a bit choppy when it comes to scrolling...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have my Pandora yet, so you'll have to make do with my N900, but I am going to make a browser comparison video between MicroB(n900 default browser), Midori, Chromium, Fennec 1.1 Nightly and Opera Mobile.

I'm not sure how useful this will be to people, but I'm bored, want to do something productive, and I'd love to find some way that I can start giving back to this community.

I'll stick it on youtube when I'm done!

EDIT: Or maybe not, I forgot to install any video editing software since I reinstalled Windows 7 last week, and the video is downright painfully boring without me cutting out all the fluff inbetween, so I'll install something and try again later/tomorrow. Unless anyone is absolutely desperate that I do it right now! (I doubt it...)

mali said:
^ How is the rendering speed? Is kinetic scrolling smooth? GUI responsive?
It's faster and smoother than Midori, but it's not 100% yet. The dpad works well for scrolling up and down, somewhat smoothly, but again, not 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fennec does some "progressive" rendering to make initial page loads more responsive, some rendering is done while you scroll but it doesn't make scrolling laggy.

With touch screen operation on a small screen, Fennec is by far more convenient to use than a full browser, I tried Chromium on my N900 and it was such crap in comparison to MicroB or Fennec, just because it requires too much precision to use on such a small screen, where as Fennec you can just double tap on an area to zoom in on it, etc. It might be a bit different on the Pandora's 4.3" screen versus the N900's 3.5" screen, but I see myself using Fennec on the Pandora, and not a full browser.

Thanks, Mjlink :)
I hope someone will make a video demo, soon.
Elanzer, I agree. A handheld needs handheld software to get the maximum out of it. I suppose using Fennec with touchscreen control should be relatively convenient, because the lid folds back almost completely.

Back