Ffmpeg

The mmsp2 has some specialized video decoding hardware that is mostly secret and undocumented. The code that runs on the 940t offloads most of the work to it. There's no way a single 200mhz arm is decoding 720x576 videos on its own. (or even 2x200mhz).

I've been poking around in the gplayer source, and it seems reasonably simple to get video decoding onto the hardware (I'm saying that hoping mplayer is similar to FFPlay) with the dual_cpu functions I seem to have. *crosses fingers*

sam fisher posted on Feb 16 2006 at 08:15 AM said:
DijiTao posted on Feb 15 2006 at 08:15 PM said:
I can't wait till we get the source to GPH's hacked up mplayer - hopefully once we have that taking advantage of the video processor will be trivial-ish.
The gp2x has no video processor. It has two processors. Or to cores. the 920 and the 940t. To put it simply the second has less stuff and a smaller cache. See?

nickspoon posted on Feb 16 2006 at 09:27 AM said:
The seconds core functions as a hardware MPEG decoder, that's what's being used in mplayer, afaik.

theoddbot posted on Feb 16 2006 at 12:56 PM said:
The mmsp2 has some specialized video decoding hardware that is mostly secret and undocumented. The code that runs on the 940t offloads most of the work to it. There's no way a single 200mhz arm is decoding 720x576 videos on its own. (or even 2x200mhz).

Oddbot is right, there are more like 5 cores total on the MMSP2 chip, read the pdf on the website, oh yeah, GO TO MAGICEYES WEBPAGE and read the picture. A lot of people seem to have read gp2x.com and gbax.co.uk which have wrong information, pay special attention to the text under the picture, I have seen it quoted wrong many times.

The truth of the matter seems to be that the Linux 2.4.x kernel in use on the MMSP2 in the GP2X sees the second ARM9 core only via a driver that linux uses to decode movies by using the second core to control the hardware frame decoders.

Please pay attention and stop stating incorrect facts about the second core

Last edited by a moderator:
I was pretty sure that was the case that we have a 920, a 940t, and a hardware video decoder of some sort. Wasn't going to argue the point thou since I wasn't sure if I was correct or not - and I didn't feel like looking it up.

Ok, having a poke in the 1.4 source, we now seem to have an mpeg4 encoder/decoder and an mjpeg encoder/decoder. No sign of mpeg2. I'll update the wiki once I figure some more stuff out.

Quick development update:

I've given up with the inserting old gplayer code into ffplay, because the gplayer code is not finished or compatible with the GP2X. I plan on inserting MPEG2, MJPEG and .mp4 file support into mplayer when it is released, which seems a trivial task, as the old mplayer had these disabled for some reason.

FFPlay is going to continue as a hopefully fully-featured music player, or as close as I can get it ;). The file support is already there, all I have to do now is add a pretty GUI and stuff. It also has trouble with .wma, but I hope soiaf can get that fixed. If there's any music that doesn't play well enough with the current version, please inform me.

Bigup! I can't wait for this. My patience is really wearing thin with the firmwares and the official mplayer (No mpg support, having to reencode half of the .avi's i want to play).
Really glad that you are working on this,
mushaden

I can't wait for this, as the video player on the gp2x pretty much sucks right now. I can't get my own divx videos to work (idk, no need to help me I am on a mac), and I hate XVID (way to blurry). What I really want is .mp4, thats seems to be the simpilest formate to encode in.

Hey if you could get h.264 working somehow that would be great, although I don't think the gp2x is fast enough. How does the psp do it?

We'd have to get the docs and or code for the video hardware to have a go at h.264. As far as I know not even GPH have access to this information, so the chances of us getting are next to 0.

Since everyone is talking about possible playable file formats, another question pertains to container formats. Will mkv be supported? Choosing between languages tracks? Other subtitle formats? Can these work? And regarding h.264, Currently, most of my H.264 videos take more processing than other video types. This could be a problem for the gp2x.

The video hardware inside the GP2X is very versatile - it can be used for many different types of video (including H.264) and even to speed up 3D performance. The current software module that is loaded on to the decoder only handles MPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.263 and MJPEG. Many more formats are decodable, but the source for this module is unavailable. Not even GPH have it (they've only got the binary), so our chances of getting it are very close to nil.

nickspoon posted on Apr 17 2006 at 11:19 AM said:
The video hardware inside the GP2X is very versatile - it can be used for many different types of video (including H.264) and even to speed up 3D performance. The current software module that is loaded on to the decoder only handles MPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.263 and MJPEG. Many more formats are decodable, but the source for this module is unavailable. Not even GPH have it (they've only got the binary), so our chances of getting it are very close to nil.
And no sign of an open source alternative?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back