Release Final Burn Alpha ported to Pandora (FAQ in first post)

Great to see another Emulator being polished for use with Pandora. FBA seems to have passed me by, can anyone point me towards a list of what the Pandora version should be able to emulate and what version of the roms are required?

Ok, here's a TOTALLY CRAP video. Captured with an IXUS point and shoot, no focus etc. And I swear I cropped the frame size. I hate videos.

Gigawing, Mars Matrix, Ghouls n Ghosts, 1944. All an absolute joy on the Pandora. You might notice they look fullscreen; this is the default display in crow_riot's port, but it's not stretched to fit as such. Aspect ratio be damned, it looks fantastic. When not filtered through my digicam and the internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev_b9UvwBKw

[edit] Mr Loon: I wouldn't know where to start with a compatibility list - GP2X wiki maybe? Regarding versions, my core collection is from the GP2X days, but I've been testing games from a more recent pack put together for FBAnext on PS3, with a very good success rate. FBAnext supports a wider range of hardware than our version though (for example it does Megadrive too) so there are entire subsets of ROMs that won't work. A definitive list of supported platforms in our version would be good - it's probably buried somewhere in a readme I haven't read. Again, the GP2X archives might be useful here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, here's a TOTALLY CRAP video. Captured with an IXUS point and shoot, no focus etc. And I swear I cropped the frame size. I hate videos.

Gigawing, Mars Matrix, Ghouls n Ghosts, 1944. All an absolute joy on the Pandora. You might notice they look fullscreen; this is the default display in crow_riot's port, but it's not stretched to fit as such. Aspect ratio be damned, it looks fantastic. When not filtered through my digicam and the internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev_b9UvwBKw

[edit] Mr Loon: I wouldn't know where to start with a compatibility list - GP2X wiki maybe? Regarding versions, my core collection is from the GP2X days, but I've been testing games from a more recent pack put together for FBAnext on PS3, with a very good success rate. FBAnext supports a wider range of hardware than our version though (for example it does Megadrive too) so there are entire subsets of ROMs that won't work. A definitive list of supported platforms in our version would be good - it's probably buried somewhere in a readme I haven't read. Again, the GP2X archives might be useful here.

Very nice, fullscreen finally yay! can't wait for a pnd of this, does this build display the vertical shmups Donpachi, Dodonpachi etc sideways on, as dave18's build does (can you rotate?) & would it be possible to stretch the aspect ratio.. especially for the shmups as it's near impossible to see all that is going on when everything is in the original ratio on a small screen.

Thanks.

Cheers Gruso, that has certainly whet my appetite. Looks like this could be another Pandora essential.

Anyone can tell me where i can find the src for Final Burn Legends 1.4 (XBox) ?

This version implements the Thunder Hoop driver for FB.

Or anyone can help me to find this driver for any Final Burn emu version ?

Thanks...

Was it my imagination, or did Final Burn support games like Afterburner, Outrun, Thunder Blade and Powerdrift?

If so, does this version also support them, or is it just for beat-em-ups?

D.

Today is a good day, Mars Matrix on the pandora! Freaking Awesome! I played the crap out of that game on Dreamcast. Apparently Gruso didn't :p

Today is a good day, Mars Matrix on the pandora! Freaking Awesome! I played the crap out of that game on Dreamcast. Apparently Gruso didn't :p
You are right there i played mars matrix on dreamcast myself,the game is stunning.

I don't have that game at the moment but played 1941 counter attack plays full speed.

for dave's port, you need to make 'roms' dir inside its appdata (/pandora/appdata/fba-dave18/roms, something like that);

CAPEX really shoudl only show things it finds imho, and should be able to browse up/down or to a specific dir (maybe it is configurable to do this, who knows), but by default CAPEX usually just looks in one place (which is goofy, since of course, multiple emus can support neogeo and cps2 and so on, especially as we'll soon have 2-3 FBA ports :)

I just fired up SFA2 for fun, not a fighter guy myself but wanted to see performance.. wow, 500mhz and seemdd nearly full speed; nice :)

I'm a big fan of the D&D games (Shadows over Mysteria, that sort), got the machines in my basement .. woot :)

jeff

worked a bit on this again ...

- changed keymapping scheme to match gp2x/dave's

- added possibility to change the arcade key assignments (see default.keymap or gruso.keymap plus fba-gruso.sh)

- fixed the frame limiter (shame on me :rolleyes: ) - now games should not run faster than intended

- added fullscreen option (works partially - does aspect correct scaling, if so)

- added a quick readme that explains the available commandline arguments

hope some of you enjoy fba - as i massively do! havent been into arcade gaming before working on this and must say i've missed a lot :)

fba-pnd-beta.3.zip

Attachments

• fba-pnd-beta.3.zip
    990.4 KB · Views: 216
worked a bit on this again ...

- changed keymapping scheme to match gp2x/dave's

- added possibility to change the arcade key assignments (see default.keymap or gruso.keymap plus fba-gruso.sh)

- fixed the frame limiter (shame on me :rolleyes: ) - now games should not run faster than intended

- added fullscreen option (works partially - does aspect correct scaling, if so)

- added a quick readme that explains the available commandline arguments

hope some of you enjoy fba - as i massively do! havent been into arcade gaming before working on this and must say i've missed a lot :)

Many thanks..

I knows this is probably sounds a bit dumb but, where do i put all the files & how do i launch it..? (never done anything via commandline before)

Woo! Thanks crow_riot.

Was it my imagination, or did Final Burn support games like Afterburner, Outrun, Thunder Blade and Powerdrift?

D.
If my googling serves me they are all Sega games, I guess System16. That would mean they're supported in newer versions of FBA, but not this one. We have much more than fighters to play - this is one of my favourite emus and I don't play fighters at all. Lots of classic shmups, platformers, weird puzzle and trivia games, and some hilariously bad 'adult' titles.

Hey, I was showing off emu performance, not mine :p You're right though. I've clocked it a number of times on FBAnext, but only thanks to endless continues.

Very nice, fullscreen finally yay! can't wait for a pnd of this, does this build display the vertical shmups Donpachi, Dodonpachi etc sideways on, as dave18's build does (can you rotate?) & would it be possible to stretch the aspect ratio.. especially for the shmups as it's near impossible to see all that is going on when everything is in the original ratio on a small screen.
Vertical games are automatically rotated, and make almost full use of the screen. They look superb. I didn't test them here because that beta had control issues for vertical games.

D.
The original finalburnalpha was generally cps1,2 and neogeo other game drivers were added at a later date these games are not supported in this build but (fingers crossed)this project is picking up speed.

I knows this is probably sounds a bit dumb but, where do i put all the files & how do i launch it..? (never done anything via commandline before)
Unzip it to a folder anywhere on your SD card. Browse to it with the Pandora file manager and you will see 'fba.sh', you just need to launch that (ie. highlight it and hit enter, or double click it). No command line needed. :)

ROMs can go in a folder anywhere you like. You have to browse for them each time you launch a game though, so keep them near by. For now I'm keep mine in the same folder as the program.

Ahh, I must have been thinking of Final Burn then - that one definitely played Afterburner et al, as I have a copy on an old PC. A shame they removed that ability in favour of some really rather dire beat-em-ups like SF et al :(

D.

Nice update. (Link for new page).

For anyone else testing, try both versions (fba.sh and fba-gruso.sh) and see which controls you like better. The differences are in the way A, B, and X are mapped. This will help crow_riot decide on a default if he hasn't already. I prefer the gruso version, believe it or not.

(fba-gruso.sh also uses scaling mode 2, which is fullscreenish, but I've changed this back to the default 1 (pixel doubling) as it looks cleaner, and still uses most of the screen for wide format games.)

I experimented with vsync, but I wasn't seeing any tearing issues to begin with so it was probably pointless playing with it. It didn't seem to impact performance anyway.

I haven't tried dave 18's recent update yet, hopefully I can squeeze some time in today.

WOW, from nothing to something. Great work to all involved. Hopefully within a few weeks, all versions can be pulled together, and the best parts can be put into one great version. I'm glad to see FBA finally getting some Pandora LOVE! ;)

Chris

Back