Final Fantasy Viii Saving Problem

EpykEnigma

Still Fresh
Hey. I'm having a quick problem with Final Fantasy VIII (8) on the wiz system, using pscx4all. The game runs fine when the settings are tinkered with a bit, but when I get to the savepoint it says that there is no memory card. I find that strange since FFVII can save fine.

Also, FFIX can't get past the first "Square" logo screen. It gets to that, fades to black, then stops. It doesn't freeze since I can still get to the menu, but I can't get any further.

I think it might be related to PCSX... i'd have to verify it for myselves but i think i learned that FF8 & 9 are facing dificulties with the emulator. Probably was mentioned in the "great" PCSX compatiblity list (hosted at google docs)

I have FFVIII working now, actually. The latest update to pcsx4all works great. It's a bit slow, as is the music, and it delays 5-10 seconds between scene/location changed, but other than that it's solid. The trigger function even works for battles.
Still can't get FFIX to work though, maybe I just need a better rom.

Now, this is rather weird. I've done some research on FFIX for the wiz, and itshould be able to work, according to the great compatibility list at least. Which file type would be best for the game? I've tried iso, img, bin, etc, and they either get to the opening screen and freeze, or freeze on a solid black screen.

EpykEnigma said:
I have FFVIII working now, actually. The latest update to pcsx4all works great. It's a bit slow, as is the music, and it delays 5-10 seconds between scene/location changed, but other than that it's solid. The trigger function even works for battles.

If I recall correct, FF IX had some very sophisticated copy protection, the protection information is stored in the subchannel data. I don't think, that PCSX4All supports reading sub channel data, so you have to patch the image to get it running correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
CKeichel said:
EpykEnigma said:

If I recall correct, FF IX had some very sophisticated copy protection, the protection information is stored in the subchannel data. I don't think, that PCSX4All supports reading sub channel data, so you have to patch the image to get it running correctly.

How would I go about doing this? Still a bit new to the WIZ

EpykEnigma said:
CKeichel said:
EpykEnigma said:

How would I go about doing this? Still a bit new to the WIZ

Basically you have to apply a crack to your FF IX image, do a google search on this topic and it should come up with plenty of tutorials.

Back