I Want To Play Final Fantasy

evilmegaman

Still Fresh
Hey I was wondering, is there any final fantasy games playable on the GP2X? every one that I have played seems terribly slow... So if you guys have gotten them working can you tell me please? :D Oh and other square/enix/square-enix games that are known to work can be mentioned too.. I am dying to play Final Fantasy (any) on my gp2x

I haven't but those don't sound particularly appealing... I just don't like the NES that much... But I guess I will give them a shot. What emulator should I use?

FF1 obviously isn't comparably to the strong plots in latter FF's, but FF2 and especially FF3 are really good, even for nes games.

Also, using rom optimizations (do a search to find about them and do it) and a little overclocking, FF6 even should be playable.

Just look around in the archive and find which emulator you like the best - it's pretty easy to throw a few on and try them in one shot. Personally I think FF1 is one of the best games I've played, maybe just because it was a bit ahead of its time, but it is a solid game with good replay value. One thing I like is its open-endedness in that there's not a lot of constant dialog or gameplay forcing you in some direction - you pretty much explore the available areas until it becomes apparent what you have to do.

Just look around in the archive and find which emulator you like the best - it's pretty easy to throw a few on and try them in one shot. Personally I think FF1 is one of the best games I've played, maybe just because it was a bit ahead of its time, but it is a solid game with good replay value. One thing I like is its open-endedness in that there's not a lot of constant dialog or gameplay forcing you in some direction - you pretty much explore the available areas until it becomes apparent what you have to do.

Agreed, FF1 is one of my favorite games.

As for FF2 and FF3... depending on your 'source' for them, you may have to patch them to get the english transalations, unless you can read Japanese. I forget which, but either 2 or 3 introduces the job system, it is nice to see where Final Fantasy got its start and what if evolved from.

Last edited by a moderator:
4 and 5 are great on squidgesnes now, on ff6 it is around 20fps, but the sound is super screwed at the moment on ff6.

FF5 runs perfectly on squidgesnes 0.391. I'm playing it, 10 hours of gameplay, and only one big error. On the underwater ship, the water layer must have transparency, but squidgesnes does not support it so it's imposible to continue.....but, just save the state (or copy the .srm on the last save point) and play it on snesgp2x-mod until there is a save point, save your game and copy the .srm file back to squidgesnes and you can continue playing.

you can download snesgp2x-mod on here

FF5 runs perfectly on squidgesnes 0.391. I'm playing it, 10 hours of gameplay, and only one big error. On the underwater ship, the water layer must have transparency, but squidgesnes does not support it so it's imposible to continue.....but, just save the state (or copy the .srm on the last save point) and play it on snesgp2x-mod until there is a save point, save your game and copy the .srm file back to squidgesnes and you can continue playing.

you can download snesgp2x-mod on here

Or you could just play it proper in NK's SNES emu, WITH transparencies. :p

it is not fast enough for me, i run it on squidgesnes @ 200mhz with sound, it is perfect for battery life. Even at 240mhz without sound NK's is slower, and playing over 10 hours on a slow emu is frustrating.

it is not fast enough for me, i run it on squidgesnes @ 200mhz with sound, it is perfect for battery life. Even at 240mhz without sound NK's is slower, and playing over 10 hours on a slow emu is frustrating.
Did NK release his source? maybe someone can hack apart his to make it faster. Remember what the dynamic quadro did to Squidge's?

Back