Release Firefox 8.0 beta 3

Yes, if it stores settings on nand and profile on fat32 sdcard, it works.

so does this just need repackagaing with correct file permissions? also it is possible to make this work without using nand to store settings?

I wait untill Firefox 8 works under "normal circumstances". ^^

I actualy use Midori the most but some Pages are better opened and watched in Firefox, Stuff like Google Maps seems to be faster in Firefox than in Midori.

I unpacked the pnd, changed ownerships and rights and repacked the pnd. For me it's working now. At least starting. Didn't test anything else yet.

Could someone please test if this works not only for me?

- delete or move away your ~/.mozilla-folder to a place where it's not found by firefox

- delete or move away your appdata-folder to a place where it's not found by firefox

- delete or move away your firefox-8.b.3-2.pnd where it's not found by the pnd-system

- download <EDIT: download-link removed>

- try to start the pnd

IF it works nicely for everyone that tried it, then hdonk of course can use it to reupload it to the repo. The download-link above will not be available for that long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll try changing the ownership to the default Pandora user number & repackage...

Edit:

That is, if someone can give me the UID please!!

Code:
ls -l

total 27644

-rw-r--r-- 1 lomaxx lomaxx 28264485 Oct 24 18:15 firefox-8.b.3-2_test.pnd

drwxrwxrwx 5 lomaxx lomaxx 	4096 Oct 24 18:26 hdonk_firefox_001

-rwxr-xr-x 1 lomaxx lomaxx  	145 Oct 24 18:11 makepnd.sh

lomaxx@lompado:/media/trans8/firefox8$ ls -n

total 27644

-rw-r--r-- 1 1000 1001 28264485 Oct 24 18:15 firefox-8.b.3-2_test.pnd

drwxrwxrwx 5 1000 1001 	4096 Oct 24 18:26 hdonk_firefox_001

-rwxr-xr-x 1 1000 1001  	145 Oct 24 18:11 makepnd.sh

UserID: 1000

GroupID: 1001

Also remember to change the folder-rights. At least I did that.

hm? :) What's dirty about it?

btw with updating to the latest hotfix, changing the start-script the way i did does NOT help anymore. That's because of what ED said. HOME is now automatically changed by pnd_run. You would have to explicitly set it in the start-script to your original home-directory, but that's not recommended.

Did someone already try my pnd-package of firefox?

I'm using HF6 too. Just to be sure: I'm not talking about the script-changes. I'm talking about the pnd which is available for download (see link above). I didn't make any scriptchanges in there, just changed rights and ownerships of some files and directories.

Awh, crap. Now i wonder why it works for me, but not for you. Can't be HF6-related then. Which filesystem has your SD-card? Which UserID has your user got? You can find out by looking at /etc/passwd with an editor and search for your username. Or you go to a directory that contains files that are owned by your user and type "ls -n".

All other programms work for me with Hotfix 6 without any changes. Why is Firefox so different in that point? :( Why it just can't be "simple"? ^^

i dont have my pandora on me at the mo but, my sd card is FAT32 formatted so permissions dont really mean all that much.

Did someone already try my pnd-package of firefox?
Yes, I tried your fix and it is working perfectly for me. Before it was crashing, now FF8b3 works like a charm. I am running HF6 and did *not* remove my old appdata stuff. Besides I am browsing with the first user and am using fat32 on my sdcard.

Please excuse any typos, they result in me typing using the pandora while being on holidays in San Francisco. I just wanted to thank you for looking into the issue with the brand new firefox package!

Thanks for the feedback. Great to hear that it's working for someone. And as far as i can tell there are no typos in your post. ;) Have nice holidays.

Still strange why it works for some people and for some not.

I'm getting profile problem too, Using ext3 filesystem.

[Edit: Lomaxx's .pnd seems to work here]

Back