Firefox OS is coming... and could be on Pandora, too ?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Not sure how many people are aware of it here, but Mozilla is working on a Firefox OS project (also known as "boot to gecko") which is based entirely on a self-contained browser, using HTML5 for display and JS for the OS itself.

See more info here:

http://rawkes.com/ar...bout-firefox-os

The good news is that there is no reason this should not work for Pandora as well.

Another way to run applications in the near future :)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rk1oTO6cYH0?feature=oembed

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, had read a while back of them doing an OS but then nothing more.. didn't realise it would as good as this sounds.

Sounds like this would be nice as another boot on Pandora for playing some of these up n coming HTML5 browser based games, many of which I think will offer multiplayer eh

from wikipedia:

Firefox OS is compatible with devices including: Otoro; PandaBoard; Emulator (ARM and x86); Desktop; Nexus S; Nexus S 4G; Galaxy S2; and Galaxy Nexus.[17] :

getting it running on Pandora will be a no-brainer.

The list forgets to mention Raspberry Pi, as displayed above in the videos.

Agree with you, Pandora is an ideal candidate for the system as well. Sounds like there's a LOT more life in the Pandora with all these new initiatives. And personally I am much more interested in Firefox OS than Android.

i have been trying to push B2G at my work (mobile phone software development) but not much interest outside of the core dev group. client devs want less platforms to develop for, not more - they got rid of Brew two years ago, J2ME last year and are trying to kill Blackberry now (tho that looks more like it's going to morph into hybrid native API/HTML 5 client). Windows Mobile 7 hasn't even taken off yet.

i have been trying to push B2G at my work (mobile phone software development) but not much interest outside of the core dev group. client devs want less platforms to develop for, not more - they got rid of Brew two years ago, J2ME last year and are trying to kill Blackberry now (tho that looks more like it's going to morph into hybrid native API/HTML 5 client). Windows Mobile 7 hasn't even taken off yet.

the question will boil down to several parts in the future:

- the tools available to facilitate development

- the support of phone manufacturers for Firefox OS

- the support of third parties (and proven success models for development and return on investment)

- the ability to do the very same thing on Firefox OS as the other OSes.

For now the support of phone manufacturers is clearly lacking...

personally I am much more interested in Firefox OS than Android.
Why is that ? Honest question as I now very little about "boot to gecko"

because it leverages standards like js and html5.
I had a more enduser oriented answer in mind, when I was writing the question. Having the possibility to "boot to gecko" on the Pandora because we can is nice, but won't last longer than a one time start to check it out.

personally I am much more interested in Firefox OS than Android.
Why is that ? Honest question as I now very little about "boot to gecko"

because it leverages standards like js and html5.
I had a more enduser oriented answer in mind, when I was writing the question. Having the possibility to "boot to gecko" on the Pandora because we can is nice, but won't last longer than a one time start to check it out.

In other words, develop for firwfox os and it works everywhere on all devices. No need to spend time to convert an android app to ios or vice versa, and it runs on pc too. So you can play a game on your mobile and then directly continue it on pc when you reach home again. And since its html5 and js many people are familiar with these languages so the learning curve should be small.

just read that first of these phones is out now

m.t3.com/news/zte-unveils-world-s-first-firefox-os-based-smartphone

Interesting.

Maybe It's time for me to finally get some smartphone.

I don't want to spend much money for a phone and hate Android.

About time. Android never got optimised because there isn't a market to optimise. (People just throw their phones out each year).

I have a feeling this'll be amazing as it'll be truly open.

Back