Firmware 1.2.6

rex303 said:
I am starting to think that sdhc cards may give problems while upgrading.

I've been upgrading with an ADATA 8 GB SDHC card with no problems, I have done so multiple times, it could be possible that with other SD cards the controller handles the requests differently. Maybe the firmware upgrader drops down the MMC support mode on the SD card and some don't support it too well?

Last edited by a moderator:
I attempted my upgrade with a 2GB PNY card. I probrably "should" have tried with my 4GB SDHC, it's a Sandisk...

It always seems like there are always a few bricks everytime a new FW comes out. It's all hit or miss with these cards. I've always used a 1gb Sandisk SD for upgrading and never had a problem.

I always use my usual SD card for game files: Kingston SDHC 4GB.

No problems happened again... I never even see the possible "freezing"... 10min to install.

Nobody answered my question, so can someone tell me if I just send an email to as-europe@gp2x.com to contact after-sales or is that something else. I'm confused :huh:

I too wonder what the performance enhancements are, since it looks like it's more than just removing tearing fix and it'd be good to know if it has any connection with the failure rate.

I sometimes think to myself that there's a direct relation between how detailed/technical a changelog is and how good the software engineering behind it is. Then again, I'm probably just complaining about people who don't speak English..

Exophase said:
I too wonder what the performance enhancements are, since it looks like it's more than just removing tearing fix and it'd be good to know if it has any connection with the failure rate.

I sometimes think to myself that there's a direct relation between how detailed/technical a changelog is and how good the software engineering behind it is. Then again, I'm probably just complaining about people who don't speak English..

In my little review I did find some speed increase in one of the games I tested on the SNES emulator, I have not noticed any more diagonal screen tearing then in the 1.2.1 firmware but that might just be certain programs.

For their "tear fix" it's either going to be all or nothing, so you wouldn't see things go from tearing some to tearing more even if they did remove it. Probably none of those emulators were using SDL for output and weren't getting rotated by the GPH code.

They did something, but who knows what.. maybe changed around default clock arrangements..

matt101 said:
Nobody answered my question, so can someone tell me if I just send an email to as-europe@gp2x.com to contact after-sales or is that something else. I'm confused :huh:

Thats what I did, but I now question weather they can read english or not..I'm hoping so.

In the meantime, i'm trying to figure out when i can aquire the parts for a serial cable mod, maybe take care of the problem myself....

I successfully attempted the 1.2.6 firmware update last night successfully.

Unfortunately I don't have any recorded info comparing it to 1.2.1 and I also updated several emulators (pocket snes to 7.1 from 6.5 and picodrive to 1.8 from 1.5x) and several games I tested feel quite a bit faster. Especially on the SNES side with Seiken Densetsu 3 having a much better overall frame rate, FFVI having a better overworld framrate both on and off of an airship and in Secret of Mana in the mushroom kingdom (lots of transparency) having much better performance as well.

Also gave the new PSX emu a shot, tried Xenogears but had some issues with sound playing for a few seconds, hiccuping and then continuing. Also the gameplay ran rather slow in town (I was only playing at 700mhz though and haven't had much opportunity to try different CPU/bios settings yet) upon entering battle the unit froze up after the entering battle animation (screen shattering).

Overall I'm really excited at how the Wiz is shaping up to be a great little system!

Hi guys! I've recently updated to 1.2.6, and I regret it...

My evaluations:
1) I don't notice any enhancement in speed or anything.
2) Tearing diagonal effect is back.
3) Some apps and games now crash and in 1.2.1 they didn't.
4) The only improvement I see is the wi-fi support.

So...

Is safe to downgrade to 1.2.1?

Thank you and sorry for my english, I'm out of practice.

I upgraded from 1.1.0 to 1.2.6 and it worked fine. The touch pad is actually usable now. E.g. ScummVM stuff works great. I calibrated the touch pad hundreds of times before... it was always completely off.

Zero difference with PCSX4ALL. Aww man.

Pygame (Orkie's build) seems to run quite a bit faster. 100 bouncing 16x16 images = 28fps. That ran at 10fps before. Making it drop down to 10fps takes 320 images now. Well, one needs 336 of those to fill a background... so... yea... still not good enough for a jump'n'run or something like that.

May be is useful for someone: I've downgraded from 1.2.6 to 1.2.1 without any problems.

Despite the recommendation of GPH about using an "above 1GB SD", after reading some posts here, one of 1GB was the only "slow" SD card I have, so I used it. Luckily I didn't had any problems.

Sorry for my english, I'm out of practice.

Rodolfo said:
What about g_ether ("ethernet over USB") module? I still don't have a Wiz with wi-fi... but soon now I will ;)

Has anybody tried to get this to work with 1.2.6 in the meantime?

Back