Firmware 4.0.2.....is It The Latest Firmware?

doremi

Still Fresh
just bought a gp2x f-200, the firmware is 4.0.2, is it the latest firmware?

btw, does the following emulators and tools didn't work on 4.0.2?

mame
ngp
gg & sms
msx2
pdfview

doremi said:

mame, ngp, gg & sms, msx2, pdfview
I just got a GP2x too. Same 4.0.2 firmware. I can't get MAME to work either. Tried Mame4all and MameGP2x ..neither work. Black screen. Even tried the FeMAME frontend which works, but black screen again when it launches MameGP2x. <sigh> Of all the emulators not to work, eh? Can't get Vice to work either. I'd be beating my head on the desk in frustration if it weren't for success with GP2xpectrum and Frodo.

Also can't get OutcaST to work. But I've never owned an ST, so it could well be a config problem stumping me there. I'll see what others of the emulators you list I can try and report. ..Try the Payback demo. I can't get that or the full retail download to work for that. Just a black screen like the rest I listed.

I get the impression from the forums and readme's for the emulators that it might be an SDL Library related problem. ..Looks like the X and Y on my touchscreen might be interchanged too, so I'm pretty well occupied with things to troubleshoot. Brilliant console despite the problems I've had though.

Last edited by a moderator:
doremi said:
just bought a gp2x f-200, the firmware is 4.0.2, is it the latest firmware?

mame
ngp
gg & sms
msx2
pdfview
None of those work on the new GP2X's with FW 4.0.2. You can add DrDMv (the sega emulator) to the list. And as far as I have read, no one has successfully flashed down to 4.0.0 on a GP2X since May 2008. It results in a brick that cannot be rescued by the current JTAG and Cradle method. There are at least 3 of us that Im aware of that have bricked trying to get FW 4.0.0 on a NEW F200 ( B ), apparently April 2008 to present.

On top of all that I have sent at least 3 emails to GP2Xstore.com requesting one of their "Return Merchandise Authorization Numbers" with no reply... it has been well over 36 hours and going on 2 weeks.

TKO said:
doremi said:

mame, ngp, gg & sms, msx2, pdfview
I just got a GP2x too. Same 4.0.2 firmware. I can't get MAME to work either. Tried Mame4all and MameGP2x ..neither work. Black screen. Even tried the FeMAME frontend which works, but black screen again when it launches MameGP2x. <sigh> Of all the emulators not to work, eh? Can't get Vice to work either. I'd be beating my head on the desk in frustration if it weren't for success with GP2xpectrum and Frodo.

Also can't get OutcaST to work. But I've never owned an ST, so it could well be a config problem stumping me there. I'll see what others of the emulators you list I can try and report. ..Try the Payback demo. I can't get that or the full retail download to work for that. Just a black screen like the rest I listed.

I get the impression from the forums and readme's for the emulators that it might be an SDL Library related problem. ..Looks like the X and Y on my touchscreen might be interchanged too, so I'm pretty well occupied with things to troubleshoot. Brilliant console despite the problems I've had though.

same issues, glad not just me. payback also didn't work for me (demo), just went to a black screen after launch. the vektor demo worked fine though.

most things i've tried work fine, but some emus (mame and a couple others) will not work at all, just a black screen after launch.

my f200 is new and came with 4.0.2 installed.

I just want to make sure though for DrMD (and maybe also the other emulators), did any of you try changing the sound rate (frequency) to something else? It might help for some of the emulators and programs. :huh:

As for NeoGeo Pocket emulator, which I presume is RACE!... it's quite a tricky emulator to get running. So I want to make sure again, if it was setup correctly? If not, try searching the forums as there have been quite a number of topics on how to get it to run properly (some by me ;) ).

EDIT: Hmm... it seems there is another NGP emu in the archive. I never tried that one as RACE! runs quite well.

Manjuu said:
I just want to make sure though for DrMD (and maybe also the other emulators), did any of you try changing the sound rate (frequency) to something else? It might help for some of the emulators and programs. :huh:
Yup, I tried all the various settings up until the point where I bricked the unit, because apparently the new units have a different LCD hardware making old Firmware not compatible. The settings I was going by are listed on one of the various wiki-pages.

I did get one piece of emulation working, that was Zelda Classic, however it was very very sluggish. I dont know about the GP2X version of NES emulators, but the PC version of FCEU plays the Zelda1 rom perfect.

It didnt seem to have any problems with Movies, Music, or Built-in Games... thats nice for them I suppose. ;p

This topic is being addressed in a new thread...
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry610680

just updated the firmware to 4.1.0.
mame, gg & sms, msx2 works now!

doremi said:
just updated the firmware to 4.1.0.
mame, gg & sms, msx2 works now!
Um, where did you get firmware 4.1.0 from? I can't see it on archive.gp2x.de Can't see any announcement on gp2x.co.uk either. ..Is there somewhere special I should be looking for firmware updates? I miss MAME. :|

Also, is the touchscreen callibration in English now? (My Korean isn't so good.) :)

Update: Okay, found it. I see it announced on the front page here at gp32x.de. The link seems to be broken though. (I get an SQL error when clicking on the F200 link.) I think the technology gods are toying with me. :unsure:

Update 2: Finally managed to download it from www.gp2x.com ..I can report similar success: Payback (GTA clone), Mame4All (Arcade), RACE! (Neo Geo Pocket), Vice (c64), and Super Maryo Chronicles are all working for me now. I can hardly express the joy of finally getting MAME working. I was tired last night but just had to get in some Elevator Action and Bank Panic before I could sleep. hehe. :D

Just got my unit...

Mame wont work

4.0.2 OOB

Do I upgrade firmware, or do I run risking a brick...???

Let me know.

I got NES to work
Need GBA Bios from my iPhone

Thanks!

Link

Mjlink said:
Just got my unit...

Mame wont work

4.0.2 OOB

Do I upgrade firmware, or do I run risking a brick...???

Let me know.

I got NES to work
Need GBA Bios from my iPhone

Thanks!

Link

several of us (including myself) have ran into this issue with our f200 ( B ) units and firmware 4.0.2.

i couldn't get the payback demo or mame to work at all, well i finally bit the bullet and updated to 4.1.0 and now the payback demo is working fine along with mame. so you may wish to update to 4.1.0.

also, you can use winscp 4.05 to retrieve the gba bios off your iphone (i use winscp and putty for my various iphone activities) or just download the bios from various sources.

Thanks for the Help!!

The upgrade worked out AOK.

Now I'm just trying to get MAME to see games.

Have GBA, SNES, NES up and running.

MAME is the reason I bought this puppy!

THanks again!

Peace

Link
gp32_console

Mjlink said:
The upgrade worked out AOK. Now I'm just trying to get MAME to see games. Have GBA, SNES, NES up and running. MAME is the reason I bought this puppy!
Yeah, you definitely needed the 4.1.0 update to get either Mame4All or MameGP2x working. The AtariST, Amiga and Commodore (VICE) emulators needed it too, and Payback, as kneehighspy mentioned (Basically all the good stuff.) :D

..I'm using MameGP2x with the FeMAME frontend (I like my preview screenshots), and Mame4All. Both of them look for zipped ROMs in the standard "roms" sub-folder. FeMAME uses an "images" folder for its previews. All the folder names are standard MAME ones if you're going to use samples, artwork, etc.

I'm still trying to work out exactly what versions of some of the roms it's happy with. Damn MAME and its forever-changing romsets. But I haven't been keeping mine up to date for a long time. fun fun.

TKO said:
Mjlink said:
The upgrade worked out AOK. Now I'm just trying to get MAME to see games. Have GBA, SNES, NES up and running. MAME is the reason I bought this puppy!
Yeah, you definitely needed the 4.1.0 update to get either Mame4All or MameGP2x working. The AtariST, Amiga and Commodore (VICE) emulators needed it too, and Payback, as kneehighspy mentioned (Basically all the good stuff.) :D

..I'm using MameGP2x with the FeMAME frontend (I like my preview screenshots), and Mame4All. Both of them look for zipped ROMs in the standard "roms" sub-folder. FeMAME uses an "images" folder for its previews. All the folder names are standard MAME ones if you're going to use samples, artwork, etc.

I'm still trying to work out exactly what versions of some of the roms it's happy with. Damn MAME and its forever-changing romsets. But I haven't been keeping mine up to date for a long time. fun fun.

yeah mame is constantly changing and evolving, but that's a good thing :)

all my roms and stuff for mame on my desktop and laptop are at 0.125, i think i have some older roms on my f200 at 0.93 (i think) i don't know if mame (f200) supports a higher version rom or not, i have only tried a few old roms to make sure that mame is working on my f200 (and it finally does as i mentioned above, yay hoo :) )

now since i have my cradle finally, i'm gonna start figuring out how to code on my f200, and this will tide me over till i can preorder my pandora. man the pandora release can't come soon enough huh? ;)

Thanx all for the help

Everyone here is so chill, its cool.

This MAME thing is a bit of a fiasco for me, the games now show up when I start MAME4ALL, but after I hit B and select the game, the screen goes black and hangs... I have to power off my unit, it totally freezes...

WTF?

Any insight would be appreciated!

NES, SNES, GBA are all rocking hard...

Peace

Link
gp32_console

WHERE ARE YOU :pandora1:

Back