Firmware Flashing

mcgee.

Still Fresh
Just got my GP32, and was looking to upgrade my bios with the Multi patch so I can boot straight into Windups. Does anyone know of any instructions or guides that could walk me through this? A bit nervous of screwing it up.

Thanks!

I do not recommend you to flash your bios, especially if you've just received it. Maybe you don't know but there are probabilities that you can not even boot it after flashing it, and therefore can not reflash it. You can not then rely on the 1 year guarantee if you've broken it with a bad flashing.
I recommend you to wait some months, maybe the flashing software will be more stable than today or there will be a stable and easy way to recover GP32 that cannot boot because of a bad flashing.

I flashed my bios, as I was a bit impatient at having to load up windups from the official menu all the time. I had no problems at all.

Download one of the file flashing utilities and follow the TXT file that comes with it.

AND REMEMBER TO HAVE FRESH BATTERIES.

An AC adaptor is EXTREMELY recommened, its what I used.

JoyGP should work fine if you boot up into the official firmware.

Swiss_Cheeseman posted on Apr 17 2003 said:
An AC adaptor is EXTREMELY recommened, its what I used.
Do You speak in serious? :-¿?

I think an adator is MORE dangerous still! 8-I

because the electricity could become disconnected and with this one the adapter also...

Another thing, is to have batteries with full load and an adaptor connected simultaneously both but I don't know if this is possible and this is a good idea... I suppose yes that, but repeat, I don't know.

Greetings!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a note about this "JoyGP has problems with unofficial firmware".. several alternative pclink programs like Pacrom's, pclink.fxe fail to reply correct PDUID for any program requesting it via USB. That's the reason for problems. In case of multifw one just has to boot into Gamepark's firmware and use the pclink from it.

Well, I registered on all the sites using the original firmware, then flashed Mr. Spivs Multifirmware.
I didn't have any problems at all.
I just used fresh batteries :)

I use an SMC card reader so I don't need PCLink.
And for FPK or ZPK-Files: There exists an GP32 Package extractor, I just extract the package and copy them on my card,
never had a problem with that.

So joygp works fine for me :)

I flashed mine with fresh batteries and an adapter plugged in. However, a power outage/unplugged cord could still cause enough of a power fluctuation to screw up the flashing process.

It might be useful to ask some of the people whose flash didn't work properly what they think the problem was. Any of the unlucky ones want to speak up and help save the rest of us from disaster?

Back