Firmware Pros And Cons?


T

TelcoLou

Guest
Shikaku posted on Feb 24 2006 at 09:48 PM said:
Just a suggestion, but can someone FAQ this?

Don't punish me for gravedigging please, I just think it would be a good idea to put this thread in the FAQs (or in FAQ form)
I don't consider it grave digging; the last post was 4 days ago :)

I think it's a good idea ... I'll discuss it with the other mods.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

machina2o2

Still Fresh
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
20
TelcoLou posted on Feb 24 2006 at 09:51 PM said:
Shikaku posted on Feb 24 2006 at 09:48 PM said:
Just a suggestion, but can someone FAQ this?

Don't punish me for gravedigging please, I just think it would be a good idea to put this thread in the FAQs (or in FAQ form)
I don't consider it grave digging; the last post was 4 days ago :)

I think it's a good idea ... I'll discuss it with the other mods.
I dont understand some of you there IS brightness control setting in DrMDx which when set to below 10 will everything looks ifne at around 0-5 on the brightness setting in program.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DaveC

Internal Development
Joined
Mar 4, 2004
Messages
9,208
machina2o2 posted on Mar 15 2006 at 07:20 PM said:
TelcoLou posted on Feb 24 2006 at 09:51 PM said:
Shikaku posted on Feb 24 2006 at 09:48 PM said:
Just a suggestion, but can someone FAQ this?

Don't punish me for gravedigging please, I just think it would be a good idea to put this thread in the FAQs (or in FAQ form)
I don't consider it grave digging; the last post was 4 days ago :)

I think it's a good idea ... I'll discuss it with the other mods.
I dont understand some of you there IS brightness control setting in DrMDx which when set to below 10 will everything looks ifne at around 0-5 on the brightness setting in program.

That is different. That setting just adjusts the brightness level of the graphics color registers and not the screen itself. It is not the same. If you adjust down too much you get color clipping at the low end of the palette causing loss in graphics information. Because the backlight is too bright you get poor black level giving a washed out look. Then you darken the graphics to compensate for the too bright screen and you are actually decreasing contrast (the difference between light and dark) which is bad. The correct way to change brightness and give best contrast is to give a backlight brightness adjustment like the PSP and newer GBA-SP has. It also will save power as a bonus.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Alex.

Retired
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
4,617
I run 2.1.0, because I don't care enough to patch to 2.1.1, I see no point. I heard video got even better after that patch, but I didn't use the 2X for video playback in months now, and probably won't for a long time to come, so I'll jump ship again when they'll reach 2.2.0 or maybe 2.5.0

On the other hand, upgrading from 2.0.0 was totally worth it, what with the improved gp2xmenu display and faster SD read speeds.

- Alex
 

Puffas

Still Fresh
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
8
Age
35
Website
Visit site
I've got Firmware 2.1.1. now (updated at once 2.0->2.1->2.1.1) and found 2 things i dont like:

The music player loads slower + while listening to some track when the opening a new file with the "open file" button the playback stops <_<

everything else is fine, same as Alex like pretty much the improved menu display and the new way of changing skins :)
 

mindglow

Still Fresh
Joined
Jul 10, 2007
Messages
11
Ok since this topic has been dead for half a year, what's the status of firmware versions now? Wich versions are you guys using? I'm running 3.0 on mine, but I'm having some trouble with XViD movies, freezes and such, I don't know if this is because of the player or the firmware.
 

MajorShake

Still Fresh
Joined
Jun 27, 2007
Messages
58
Location
California
Website
Visit site
mindglow said:
Ok since this topic has been dead for half a year, what's the status of firmware versions now? Wich versions are you guys using? I'm running 3.0 on mine, but I'm having some trouble with XViD movies, freezes and such, I don't know if this is because of the player or the firmware.
hmmm thats funny, im using FW3.0 and my xvid videos play fine, maybe had it freeze one time if at all, have you tried resizing your videos to the resolution of the 2x screen, then playing them on powersave mode or normal, not full speed, this might help :ph34r:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top