Firmware Updates/upgrades

Javacat

Founder of the WarmFluffyUK fan club
Website
Visit site
I was fiddling with my GP2X a couple of days ago for the first time in a year or so, and I was getting it all up to date. Whilst I was doing that it got me wondering, how will updates for the Pandoras firmware be handled?
Will there just be complete firmware images, with a new version released as different parts are updated or will you be able to download packages on your desktop/pandora to update the individual components?
For linux based handhelds I know it's normally done with just a big image. On the somewhat rare occasions an individual update is released by a dev, installing the update is usually hacky, with the user having to manually copy the updated files into place.
When the Pandora is initially released I'm guessing that the firmware will be under heavy development, with lots of updates/tweaks to different parts of the OS and drivers. Because of this, complete firmware releases for each little update probably wouldn't be that practical, so I'm assuming they will be released individually. If that's the case, will you release new, complete firmware updates every so often for people that it isn't really practical to do the little updates or just as there are major changes (kind of like standard linux distros, such as Ubuntu)?

Its a good question though - will there be an official Openpandora repo for Base OS updates? I sure hope so. It will rapidly become a very big mess if there wasn't one ..

And then of course, will there be a separate, *second repo* for homebrew? Because this would be very, very, very, VERY, cool ..

It's already been described that there will be two different types of updates. For the base OS there will be updates handled by a package management system. You'll also be able to download entire images for major updates.

For the applications, they will be the PND standard.

I think Vitel's goal in life is to hijack every thread and respond..

Q: What emu to run GBA games on?
A: Install Gentoo && emerge SomeApp

Punk :)

jeff

skeezix said:
I think Vitel's goal in life is to hijack every thread and respond..

Q: What emu to run GBA games on?
A: Install Gentoo && emerge SomeApp

Punk :)

jeff
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
How much is the NAND of Pandora? The point is if it's very tiny like it just fit the OS and a little more we won't have the opportunity to install many applications via package manager, it should be OK to install as sad Gentoo at the SDHC and you could install as many packages as your SDHC can fit. A little disadvantage of using the .PND would be that it won't be automatic updated like when you have a package manager, in the other hand, people that aren't used to the Linux won't need to lead with package managers (ok it's as easy as downloading a .PND but...)

I thing that i would like to know is that if I'm using Emerge should need a little patience to install more complex packages as it compiles everything locally, won't?

I want to put this on it:

http://dustfs.zekjur.net/

Can we please do that, soon as possible? kthxbai! :)

brunox69 said:
How much is the NAND of Pandora?
The NAND is 512MB.

brunox69 said:
I think that this is a better place for your question: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=43532
No, it isn't.

brunox69 said:
mali said:
brunox69 said:
How much is the NAND of Pandora?
The NAND is 512MB.

So and how much will the OS use?

I remember ED saying recently that the OS is filling up the NAND pretty fast. I'd say the OS will take nearly all the NAND by release.

brunox69 said:
It has always been strongly recommended that the OS NAND is kept to the OS. You should not install any applications onto the NAND. Those should always been installed onto SD cards.

Squidge said:
brunox69 said:
It has always been strongly recommended that the OS NAND is kept to the OS. You should not install any applications onto the NAND. Those should always been installed onto SD cards.
It would be preferable to install apps on the NAND and content on SD cards, that would make things easier. Games would of course be stored on SDs.

Awakening said:
It would be preferable to install apps on the NAND and content on SD cards, that would make things easier. Games would of course be stored on SDs.
What's the difference between apps and games that makes it so apps are allowed on the nand and games are not?
I would consider OpenOffice and gimp to be apps, but there's no way they'll fit on the nand. They'll have to be stored to SD. I don't see any reason why any app would ever have to be stored on the nand.

WizardStan said:
I don't see any reason why any app would ever have to be stored on the nand.
Hmm... if you boot from SD, you can have all apps on the SD, but otherwise, it's like a line drawn on water to define what is an app...
eg. The Shell (/bin/sh) could be considered an app by some, but its needed for most linux systems to run boot scripts,
so it cant be on SD unless SD is your root partition.
If i want to add any always available app/daemon to my pandora, i'll install it to the NAND.

Back