Quick Question About Sdhc

W

WhiteBat

will the pandora be able to use SDXC with a firmware update?

just wondering

will the pandora be able to use SDXC with a firmware update?

just wondering
We believe there to be hardware differences, but we can't be sure, because the SDXC spec hasn't been opened yet as far as I remember. Next time, use the search function, this has been discussed numerous times.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
i did search though

so we cant find out until the sdxc spec comes out?

edit: k i used a different browser and the search works fine now, might as well close the thread because i found my answer. =)

sorry about that

I'm going to stick my head out and say it'll be compatible with a firmware update, but only at standard speeds. The new cards support a 1.8V signaling voltage and a 100Mhz clock which the Pandora can't support (It uses 3.3V). However, since it seems like these new speeds seem to be selectable by sending a command to the card, it should be possible to run them at standard voltage and speeds (eg. 25Mhz standard speed and 50Mhz high speed mode, again by sending a command to the card). This would make sense as it would be daft for the SD Org to produce a card which only worked on the new hardware. This way the new hardware is only required for the higher speeds (100Mhz SDR, 50Mhz DDR).

Obviously we'll need to test this with an actual card once one comes available.

@squidge: That would be my guess too, with the little we know for now.

However, even though the Pandora doesn't support 100MHz (which is as exptected), I'm a little bit surprised that it doesn't support 1.8V - aren't there lots of cards out there already which runs on 1.8V? 8-bit MMC Plus, for example. The BeagleBoard supports 1.8V (although not when booting) as well as 3.3V, according to the BB docu.

i'm very sure someone said that no firmware update will allow compatibility with sdxc, and they gave a link, but i can't seem to remember where it went.
We know thats true if you want to take full advantage of the specification, however it seems that it isnt true to run the new cards at the old speed. Otherwise it would be like releasing a complete new memory card format and supporting hardware, which would likely open the format up to other competitors.
From what we know at the moment, it seems that all speeds apart from the default are selectable through commands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back