Firmware Updates/upgrades

Squidge said:
brunox69 said:
So and how much will the OS use?
It has always been strongly recommended that the OS NAND is kept to the OS. You should not install any applications onto the NAND. Those should always been installed onto SD cards.

so let's say I'm using the default NAND OS, is there an option at 'ipkg' that i can install the packages at SD?

Last edited by a moderator:
brunox69 said:
Squidge said:
brunox69 said:
So and how much will the OS use?
It has always been strongly recommended that the OS NAND is kept to the OS. You should not install any applications onto the NAND. Those should always been installed onto SD cards.

so let's say I'm using the default NAND OS, is there an option at 'ipkg' that i can install the packages at SD?

The quick answer is yes, there is an option to install to a different 'root' directory in ipkg.

I'm sure that there will be a utility like apps2sd created or a configuration file that can be setup to direct ipkg to only install non-os apps to SD 1. Though this is just conjecture since we wont know till its released or ED gives us the official answer.

WizardStan said:
Awakening said:
It would be preferable to install apps on the NAND and content on SD cards, that would make things easier. Games would of course be stored on SDs.
What's the difference between apps and games that makes it so apps are allowed on the nand and games are not?
I would consider OpenOffice and gimp to be apps, but there's no way they'll fit on the nand. They'll have to be stored to SD. I don't see any reason why any app would ever have to be stored on the nand.
Games usually are completely stand alone software, you want to play a game you insert the SD you have it on. Apps on the other hand are used to open up other files, like a movie player plays movies. If I don't have a movie player installed directly on my Pandora I must always make sure that there is one on either SD card. I guess the solution would be to have one primary SD that is never taken out where I put all my apps.

Awakening said:
I guess the solution would be to have one primary SD that is never taken out where I put all my apps.
Exactly why it has 2 SD slots. Put the video player on the SD card you put your movies on and never have a problem. Find a friend with a Pandora that hasn't upgraded their video player with newer codecs and you want to share a video? No problem, here's the PND that can play them right on the card!

Back