Firmware Upgrade Compatible Cards And Faq

I've tried a freshly formatted PNY 512MB SD Card three times, to no avail.

Someone's got to figure this out. :(

Tried everything I could think of with a Lexar 256MB SD card and a 64MB Crucial MMC card; GP2X could read files from both of them fine but refused to update the firmware with them.

Bought a 1GB Sandisk SD card and it worked on the first try. Too bad the screen still flickers like mad :(

I tried with a 1Gb Dane-Elec card from Scan in the UK. Several attempts, "FAT" and "FAT32" (formated under WinXP), repartitioned and mkdosfs -F32'd under Linux. No sign of an updating screen throughout.

Went out today and brought a 256Mb PNY card from Dixons (mentioned by someone else some posts back), reformated FAT32 under XP, copied the patch20051112 image to it and it worked first time. v1.0.1 update worked too, right after.

Interestingly, I then tried reformating FAT32 the Dane-Elec card, copied (only) v1.0.1's gp2xkernel.img to it, inserted and turned the unit on, to see the update run!

So:
- For those in the UK, Dixons's 256Mb PNY card looks to work fine for firmware update
- It's possible that updating depends on the *.img files being the very first files copied to the card after formating.

Can anyone with a not-working card confirm / refute the second of those?

cards probably start working after the update because a new version of uboot is put on with more support.... I should be getting a friends pny 256mb today hurray..

statikeffeck posted on Dec 1 2005 at 04:10 AM said:
Doesn't work with 1 GB RiDATA (PRO 66X).
(When using the GP2X as the card-reader/writer)

I haven't tried with an external card reader yet. I can't get the GP2X to see any files on the card at all.

I had the same problem with my x4store card. The solution was to not create any partitions on the SD card, just create an msdos filesystem on the card and you're set.

So, first, using fdisk when you're working under linux, delete all partitions, and after that, use mkfs.msdos -F32 -I /dev/sda to create a FAT32 filesystem. That should do it, assuming /dev/sda is your gp2x flashcard.

Last edited by a moderator:
PNY Technologies 64mb

straight out of the camera, straight into the GP, no formating.

Running SNES, film clips and music no freezing.

not tried firmware updating until it seems worthwhile

blukske posted on Dec 1 2005 at 10:48 AM said:
statikeffeck posted on Dec 1 2005 at 04:10 AM said:
Doesn't work with 1 GB RiDATA (PRO 66X).
(When using the GP2X as the card-reader/writer)

I haven't tried with an external card reader yet.  I can't get the GP2X to see any files on the card at all.

I had the same problem with my x4store card. The solution was to not create any partitions on the SD card, just create an msdos filesystem on the card and you're set.

So, first, using fdisk when you're working under linux, delete all partitions, and after that, use mkfs.msdos -F32 -I /dev/sda to create a FAT32 filesystem. That should do it, assuming /dev/sda is your gp2x flashcard.

so how do windows users do this?

Ultron 512MB work for flashing
Skydisk OEM/Team 1GB do NOT work for flashing
Pansonic 256MB do NOT work for flashing

abigsmurf posted on Dec 1 2005 at 01:49 PM said:
blukske posted on Dec 1 2005 at 10:48 AM said:

so how do windows users do this?

With a Linux Live Disc, like Knoppix for instance.

I bought a Sandisk Ultra II 1gig today and it worked on the first try, just like it did for the previous posters owning one.
My other sdcard, a Panasonic Pro High Speed 1gig, is a no go when upgrading...
The white line on the left is a goner, which is really great.

I couldn't get the firmware to upgrade with PNY 256 and 512 (XP & Linux), but exchanged them for SanDisk 256 and it worked with xp after a reformat.

-notjf

I'm really not sure where the problem lies here. I've got a 256MB PNY card, which at least one person has reported success with, and at least one other person has reported failure with.

I can't get it to do anything but fail. :(

I've formatted it under Windows 2000, Windows XP and Linux. I've tried doing a partitionless "superfloppy" format (mkfs.msdos -I) - the GP2X refused to see anything on the card. I've tried putting just the kernel image on the card. I've tried putting just the bootloader image on the card. Nothing works.

The only things I haven't tried are a different card reader, or a different brand of card, because I don't have either available to me. After reading some conflicting reports about the same brand & size of card, I'm not confident that brand has anything to do with it; my guess is it's either more dependent on the card reader, or some odd combination of card reader & card.

I'm also having USB problems; both Windows and Linux recognise that something is trying to connect, and Windows gets as far as recognising that it's a mass storage device, but neither gets all the way. Unfortunately, I don't have a powered USB hub; from googling the error messages spat out by the kernel under Linux, I have sneaking suspicions that a powered hub would make all the difference.

I can play music just fine. I can play Quake just fine; sometimes, if I'm really lucky, I can even use Quake's savegames successfully. But something's clearly not right. Quake very often fails to either read or write saves (I'm not sure which), and a quick utility I knocked up that does a "find" on the root filesystem - piping the results out to a file on the card - will sometimes work, but more often than not, never complete (i.e. never get back to the menu, and not write a file list to the card).

On an unrelated note, I also knocked up another little utility, that ran various commands ("whoami", "uname -a" and so on) and piped their output to files; that one managed to work once and once only so far. Sadly, I don't have the info any more (I never backed it up before reformatting the card for the umpteenth time), but I can remember that you're logged in as "root", which has no password, and there *are* other users on the system, but you can't log in as them (if I remember my shadow file syntax correctly).

No, there are no executables on the root FS with names like "flash", "upgrade", etc. - I also couldn't find the kernel image. Which means that no, I won't be writing a flash-whilst-running utility any time soon.

Today I went out and bought a Sandisk 512MB standard SD card. I made one partition, and put some small movies on it to test it. Contrary to the x4store card, now the contents are recognized in combination with partitions. After that, I copied the firmware (all the files from the .zip archive) on it *without* reformatting, and tadaa, the firmware upgrading message appeared! I'm a happy camper right now :)

mangobrain posted on Dec 1 2005 at 03:10 PM said:
I'm really not sure where the problem lies here. I've got a 256MB PNY card, which at least one person has reported success with, and at least one other person has reported failure with.

I can't get it to do anything but fail. :(

I've formatted it under Windows 2000, Windows XP and Linux. I've tried doing a partitionless "superfloppy" format (mkfs.msdos -I) - the GP2X refused to see anything on the card. I've tried putting just the kernel image on the card. I've tried putting just the bootloader image on the card. Nothing works.

The only things I haven't tried are a different card reader, or a different brand of card, because I don't have either available to me. After reading some conflicting reports about the same brand & size of card, I'm not confident that brand has anything to do with it; my guess is it's either more dependent on the card reader, or some odd combination of card reader & card.

Odds are, PNY buys memory from several vendors, so some batches will work while others will not.

-notjf

Back