First Bennugd Wiz/pc Contest

SplinterGU

Still Fresh
I have the proud of announce the first BennuGD WIZ/PC contest, thanks to GPH (Game Park Holding) for the prizes...

Well, let's go...

Rules:

* The game's topic is free.
* The games should run on PC and Wiz.
* The games must be programmed using BennuGD.
* The games must be a 2D game.
* The games should run properly on a screen resolution of 320x240x16
(scale_resolution can be used to get this requirement)
* Only accept original games (not previously releases)
* Only original or free graphics, sound and music are allowed.
* The games must will include GPH's logo and BennuGD's logo at the beginning of it (those logos will be provided by the organizers of this contest).
* The games must include the full source code, resources, compiling and running scripts, .ini and all the necessary stuffs for the proper execution of the game in PC (Windows and Linux) and WIZ. For WIZ, the runtime should be used in folder .. /bgd-runtime (the runtime files don't are requiered include on package).
* Joystick and/or mouse supports is requiered.
* Will be appraise the use of the touchscreen (in the case of Wiz), in case of PC, this will be the PC mouse (left button).
* The game's language must be at least in English. More than one language is allowed.
* We will not accept the use of unofficial modules (dlls/so).
* Each participant may submit as many games to consider, but only the best of them may be creditors of one prize.
* We will evaluate the following categories:

- originality
- playability
- addiction
- graphics
- sound (music/effects).

* The court shall consist of GPH (the sponsor), SplinterGU (BennuGD) and some other members to nominate (this members will be announced shortly).
* Jurors don't may participate in the contest.
* Under no circumstances will allow games that infringe copyright in any aspect/feature of it.
* Games will not racist, discriminatory or prejudicial to the morals and custom, or prejudice of persons / entities / etc.
* Contestants retain copyright of their works, which means you can reuse / donate code and resources on other projects. But both GPH as BennuGD may freely use all the games involving the competition, provided that this does not represent the sale of such games. BennuGD and GPH are authorized by the contestants to make free and open use of the games participants on issues such as: preinstalled games include in new Wiz or post it on their website as free fee download games, use them as promotion of their products, etc... The contestant shall not claim any economic reward to it.

* Participation in this competition implies knowledge and acceptance of the rules previously mentioned.

* Start/Finish time (subject to confirmation):

- Registration until November 15th (not required)
- Delivery until 6 January (the games must be send to splintergu@bennugd.org)
- Results on January 16

* Awards (for now only 1 prize):

1st Prize: 1 Full Package WIZ (Wiz + accessories)
2nd Prize: 1 Wiz.
3rd Prize: Accessories Wiz.

Official site: http://forum.bennugd.org/index.php?topic=894.0

You forgot to mention that the game has to be written in Bennu. The rules don't really make much sense if you omit this detail.

"Games will be in 2D"

There you go that makes sense. You better not use the hardware, the Wiz has a 3D chip but don't use it.. That may give it an advantage over some of the Chipods and phones, Might actually make the Wiz look desirable, you wouldn't want that :rolleyes:

I swear these GPH guys are from another planet: Planet Stupid.

DaveC said:
"Games will be in 2D"

There you go that makes sense. You better not use the hardware, the Wiz has a 3D chip but don't use it.. That may give it an advantage over some of the Chipods and phones, Might actually make the Wiz look desirable, you wouldn't want that :rolleyes:

GPH is providing the prizes, no where does it say that they're running the contest. I doubt Bennu can even access 3D anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey SplinterGU, could you make Bennu default to a low volume on Wiz and GP2X? Some otherwise terrific games forget to control their sound, or default it to a deafening level - you could easily fix this on a global level. The Fenix runtime suffers from this problem too, but at least Open2x offers total volume control for all programs, which unfortunately the Wiz firmware does not.

aho said:
You forgot to mention that the game has to be written in Bennu. The rules don't really make much sense if you omit this detail.

You are right, thanks. Fixed.

DaveC said:
"Games will be in 2D"

The rules are made from BennuGD... GPH, only give us the prizes... the Bennu3D module don't ported to WIZ yet... I made the rules... If you disagree with this, don't participate in the contest... Sorry for my reply, but I think that you was very agresive... well, sorry, try again. :p

Exophase said:
DaveC said:
"Games will be in 2D"

GPH is providing the prizes, no where does it say that they're running the contest. I doubt Bennu can even access 3D anyway.

Bennu run in 3D, but not in WIZ yet. Thanks for your comment.

Alex. said:
Hey SplinterGU, could you make Bennu default to a low volume on Wiz and GP2X? Some otherwise terrific games forget to control their sound, or default it to a deafening level - you could easily fix this on a global level. The Fenix runtime suffers from this problem too, but at least Open2x offers total volume control for all programs, which unfortunately the Wiz firmware does not.

The volumen level must be setup by user (programmer)...

thanks to you all...

SplinterGU said:
Alex. said:

The volumen level must be setup by user (programmer)...
Well you have a chance of making things right, since a lot of programmers use sound but they don't seem to set or allow the volume to be changed. This is a serious problem, and you should take advantage of the opportunity of being able to fix it for all Bennu games.

Good luck with the contest!

I don't understand you...

BennuGD already allow change the sound volume... you must use the right sound functions... take a look to mod_sound...

Maybe you want visit www.bennugd.org and take a look to wiki or forum...

Good luck!

SplinterGU said:
I don't understand you...
I apologize for being unclear.

Bennu games start with very loud sound by default, which is a big problem when you're using headphones (often a game will load and start playing music before you get a chance to adjust the volume). What I'm saying is that when you load a sound with Load_song()/Load_wav(), Bennu should automatically set that sound's volume to a low value instead of a high one, in order to prevent this issue.

I know that programmers can adjust the volume themselves, but many seem not to, and it would be nice if Bennu took this into account in its Wiz and GP2X runtimes where this is a problem.

this topics was complete discuss... all people agreed that this behavoir is the best option, because the fenix behavoir with the volumen give lot of problems... we don't must think that the programmers are stupids.. the programmer are enough inteligent for do a simple set_volumen in the moment of play the sound...
I invite you to search this discuss in the gp32spain or in the bennugd forums...
thanks again...

Nice, a new contest! I will join!

As for the volume settings, how about making "set_wav_volume" work the same way as "set_song_volume". That is, make it affect all sound channels if you simply use "set_wav_volume(volume);". As it is now that does not work. It requires two parameters. In Fenix, it was possible to use "set_wav_volume(-1,volume); to make it affect all channels, but my programs crash when I try this in Bennu. Perhaps I am simply doing something wrong.

Also, a quick question about the rules. It says the game must be 2D. I was thinking about making a Mode7-style racing game. (Which would look 3D). Is that okay or should I come up with some other idea instead?

Oh cool. This could give me the motivation to finish my game. Can i participate with a game that had a preview released?

I am working on a real bloody chainsaw slay em up right now and was wondering if I
could join the contest, theire are no Persons hurt just monsters, but theire also is a massive amount of splatter
and things like eating enemy corpses for HP.
Could this project participate in this contest?

I don't remember now how set volume all channels, I'll need check the code... but sound code is same code that Fenix... then it must work...

mode-7 is allowed... with 3d games I mean, games that use Bennu3D... becuase Bennu3D only works in Windows.

you can participate with a game that you have a preview release... but the game that you send to contest must be complete... but, yes, you can use it...

When I said "* Games will not racist, discriminatory or prejudicial to the morals and custom, or prejudice of persons / entities / etc.", I mean, real persons, entities, etc. In your game you can hurt persons, peoples, animals, etc... only if them aren't real.

Exophase said:
DaveC said:
"Games will be in 2D"

Sure Bennu can 'access' 3D. If you have the proper shader hardware and drivers (meaning nVidia, as ATi somehow fails to implement vertex texture fetch :( ), you can run this project which uses Bennu for its logic.
Naturally this won't run on the Wiz, but all I'm saying is that a language doesn't determine the libraries made for it.

I do agree that using the 3D hardware in the Wiz would be much more awesome. Maybe in the future! :)

Sandman said:
I do agree that using the 3D hardware in the Wiz would be much more awesome. Maybe in the future! :)

No doubt of it...

Sandman said:
Sure Bennu can 'access' 3D. If you have the proper shader hardware and drivers (meaning nVidia, as ATi somehow fails to implement vertex texture fetch :( ), you can run this project which uses Bennu for its logic.
Naturally this won't run on the Wiz, but all I'm saying is that a language doesn't determine the libraries made for it.

I was talking about Bennu on the Wiz. In the context of this contest and this thread I don't think people care an awful lot about what can only be ran on PCs.

well, 1 extra week... last extend time...

no more entries are allowed from monday 8/02 (UTC -12)

Hi! The contest's time for entries has ended!
A total of 12 games are presented!
Now the judges will try/evaluate the games so... NO DOWNLOAD until the contest results are out. Patience!!!
Thanks to GAMEMASTER at Gp32Spain for info + screenshots.

THE AMAZING ADVENTURES OF ECHO
doggygravor.png

PUZSION
attachment.php

ZOMG (Zombies On My Glass)
shot0003i.png

Apocalypso
Apocalypso.png

Bennu Shooter
Bennu%20Shooter.png

Danger Quest: Monster Night
Danger%20Quest%20-%20Monster%20Night.png

Defendor-X
Defendor-X.png

EEEEK! EEEEEK! HOOOOOOK!!!
EEEEK!%20EEEEEK!%20HOOOOOOK!!!.png

Humos
Humos.png

Snails Race
Snails%20Race.png

Zombies 2012
Zombies%202012.png

Zverealm, Shroud of Lies and Twilight
Zverealm,%20Shroud%20of%20Lies%20and%20Twilight.png

I can't wait to try out some of those games. There are definitely some interesting screenshots there.

Back