First Boot -It's Asking For A Login And Password....?

solidstate

Still Fresh
Website
www.techmoan.com
What now?

After the initial looooong boot up it goes to a black screen with the Angstrom logo at the top with the line
omap3-pandora login:_

Whatever I type it then asks for a password. Now I like Wargames as much as the next man - but I'm no hacker so I don't know what to do now.

My AV lead was missing from the box as well... not the best start. [EDIT] - Just found out that no one got a TV cable (makes me feel better).

Can anyone help?

solidstate said:
What now?

After the initial looooong boot up it goes to a black screen with the Angstrom logo at the top with the line
omap3-pandora login:_

Whatever I type it then asks for a password. Now I like Wargames as much as the next man - but I'm no hacker so I don't know what to do now.

My AV lead was missing from the box as well... not the best start.

Can anyone help?

sounds like it died before the setup process where you create a user account, I dont know of any other way to fix this other than a reimage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a badly flashed firmware... it's easy to reflash it, you need to put some files on your SD-Card and that's it.

We're preparing them so you can do that.

solidstate said:
Thanks for the help so far.

Can anyone provide me with a link to the correct firmware and a step-by-step guide to re-flashing the device?

notaz is just preparing the files.

Put them onto an empty SD Card, put the card in the left slow, press R while switching the unit on, select "boot from SD" and the rest should be automatic :)

Last edited:
Related information here: http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=79

Probably makes you feel a bit better. The Pandora really is software-unbrickable.

solidstate said:
Thanks everyone - It wouldn't be a proper Pandora experience without a bit of extra work. :D
Nice of you to keep positive. I know some people would be screaming bloody-murder if this happened to them. It must be frustrating, but keep smiling. I envy you, I'd rather have one in hand that needs a re-flash, than be here waiting. ;)

Edit: this old post is old. Latest firmware is available on the official support page.

first firmware image:
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/pandora/pandora-firmware-2010-05-01-Zaxxon.zip

quoting readme I just made up:
  1. Extract the contents of this zip to root (main) directory (folder) of your
    SD card. Fat32 and ext2 filesystems are supported.
  2. Make sure the pandora is turned off (remove the battery in case it
    crashes or doesn't turn off by using normal means).
  3. Insert that SD card into pandora's first slot
    (it's the one closer to headphone jack).
  4. Press and hold the right trigger ('R'), then turn the power on
    (if you have battery removed, insert it while holding R).
  5. A menu should appear on screen. Select "boot from SD1" using the d-pad by
    pressing B or X.
  6. Wait for flash process to finish. Connect the charger to be sure the battery
    doesn't run out while flashing. Press enter when asked to do so.
  7. The device should turn off, press power (without holding R) to turn it back on.
    It should then start it's first boot process which migh take up to 15 minutes,
    be sure to wait for it to finish, otherwise firmware corruption might happen
    again.
Edit: I lied, release bootloader doesn't support ext2 properly, it was only fixed in Hotfix3.

OK Thanks to everyone, I´m now posting this from my Pandora. Now I'm off to play around a bit .
Put one success down for the Pandora Tech Support team.

SONY said:
Awesome!!!

Take that SONY, M$ and Apple customer tech support!!! :D

This. Wow... I can't help but be impressed.

EvilDragon said:
Most problems that occur should be fixable without much hazzle :)

That's the shizzle !

This has gone from a post that inspired fear and worry to a one that inspires confidence :)

It's kinda like the Amiga days again, how amazing to get advice and a fix from one of the originators of the machine and a fix by one of the firmware coders, all out of office hours... truly amazing !

I can't get to the wiki from where I am, but can someone add the reflashing guide(with firmware link) to the unofficial user manual? If not I can do it later.

Got to chip in here and say what others have said, the team are amazing with helping people on the forum. They have all the builds to do, but still they find the time to help people with initial bootup problems. Top notch service !

Also nice that us Newbs are helped out with a level of respect. I know there are some talented and very knowledgeable people on the forum, yet it feels such a constructive environment for people to come together in. None of that elitism and nasty posters you get on some computer sites (yes I am looking at your gamefaqs <_< ). Now I am really looking forward to seeing the community grow.

Thanks Pandora team for all the work so far. Looking forward to learning Linux, and having fun on the new system! :)

Not working for me, it's only offering me 3 options, one of those is the default boot. Is my R button knackered? Also, browser keeps shutting down when I try to check my hotmail account. Can't get emulators to work either!!! HELP!

NickLoTurco said:
Not working for me, it's only offering me 3 options, one of those is the default boot. Is my R button knackered? Also, browser keeps shutting down when I try to check my hotmail account. Can't get emulators to work either!!! HELP!

What three options do you have?
If no SD-Card is inserted, it won't offer you booting from there.

If the three options appear when pressing the R-Button while switching on, it is definately working ;)
But reflashing won't probably help you, I doubt your firmware is broken.

Also, tried Arora instead of Midori? Both have a few stability issues, Arora is working better for me. I guess Hotmail has quite a few MS-Crap in their code, might be a problem.

And if you want to get help with the emualators, it would probably best opening a new thread and telling the people what problem you have.

Last edited:
Back