Release First Gmenu Pandora Preview

gmenu will be the default launcher in SIMPLE MODE.

In fully desktop mode, it starts kdrive (an XServer) with Windows, etc.
That's Angström ;)

EvilDragon said:
gmenu will be the default launcher in SIMPLE MODE.

In fully desktop mode, it starts kdrive (an XServer) with Windows, etc.
That's Angström ;)
Does that mean that simple mode will be framebuffer based? or does it also start an XServer?

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the input ED and the video :>

i was in no way dissing Gmenu i actually like it was just pointing out to people in general that you guys have ALOT to consider and different tastes to appease and think your all doing a great job, in both finding a middle ground as well as user flexibility (if ya don't like it you can change it). witch in my experience is alot harder than it sounds on paper :blink:

I hope this simple mode will have a way to share the screen (which works with SGX drivers), because using a window manager is overkill.

I always liked Gmenu2X onto my GP2X. So I'm more than happy that I meet my Menu of choice again onto the Pandora, "home sweet home" I would say. :) I'm sure there will be cool Skins for the Pandora GMenu to, I love the "Liquido" Skin, my whole GP2X is trimmed to this Skin, I plan the same thing for my Pandora so I will not really miss my old GP2X :D

Any Details HOW the Pandora gmenu is controlled? Stylus ok, no problem with that. But Gamepad + Shoulder buttons + Action buttons should also be a standard, different controll options are always a good thing. I can imagine that the Mouse cursor can be controlled by the analog-Nubs to so different tastes in using the menu are pleased. :)

..oh, I also hope that the Default Clockspeed for running the Gmenu onto the Pandora is LESS than 500MHz! :lol:

DaveC said:
PokeParadox said:
GMenu is the main app-launcher, you'll be able to configure a different GUI if you really must. GMenu is really awesome though! :D
Yes Gmenu is nice fast and simple. No need for fluff and other nonsense to slow you down. It will also be nice that you can use it one handed without a stylus.

pervert....

Pleng said:
bartleby said:
i agree. the icons are tiny & ugly, that wallpapter looks horrid. well, at least that's going to be easy to change ;)

i hope the whole gui will improve significantly before release. and i guess there are going to be some alternatives eventually...

[edit] oh so ed did point out himself that it's still early stage. i hadn't read his blog post, saw the video on youtube first, my mistake. well well, there certainly is lots of room for improvement... [/edit]

I have to admit to being slightly baffled. I mean, how much time could it possibly take to adapt gMenu to display icons at double the size? Or to add input from a usb controller (to simulate the built-in joypad) for navigation?

I know that my coding experience is limited to mostly VB and a little bit of hack-and-paste PHP, but seriously, could it have taken that long to add those features so that the 'early stage' video looked at least half impressive?

I don't think they are that small. i also don't think the video was to show off so much as just to say 'it's working'
people complain about them not posting videos, say they just want a video of the current progress, and spend half a thread complaining about them? (not you in specific)

efegea said:
Does that mean that simple mode will be framebuffer based? or does it also start an XServer?

I would assume it started an X-server, else there will be apps that only work when in advanced mode/simple mode.

I know the SGX drivers work fine without X, as I've run a number of 3D apps & demos fine without X installed.

I also hope that the Default Clockspeed for running the Gmenu onto the Pandora is LESS than 500MHz!
The last thing we want is various apps messing with the clock speed, this isn't a single tasking device.

Ok , mabe i was being a bit over the top in regards to the video posted
as i have looked at over and over i can imagine being able to customise it totaly,i just prefer simplicity when it comes to the main gui but with all the background stuff hidden but still there if you so choose to mess around with it further.

I havent ever used gemu before and only now have i saw it in action,and i dont like all the icons on the screen,i also dont like the mouse,window driven controls and for a handheld i really dont think
its what we should use but if thats the way the pandora is going to be then fine,as well stated it will be fully customisable.

Again i am sorry to all that i pissed off with my first dirty remark
but its the way i feel about it and just want to see more of the gui
so i now have been looking at the gp32 gui and other sources for
more of an insight.

if anyone can give me some links to other related gemu stuff
i would really appreciate it,thanks.

Squidge said:
I know the SGX drivers work fine without X, as I've run a number of 3D apps & demos fine without X installed.
Souinds promising. :) After Months of "quick software only ports" I started to worry about the ability to have acess to the interesting Hardware skills of the Pandora Chipset. Is there already Software that can make good usage of the 3D SGX unit and the "deeper" OMAP Chipset-features? ^_^

Squidge said:
I also hope that the Default Clockspeed for running the Gmenu onto the Pandora is LESS than 500MHz!
The last thing we want is various apps messing with the clock speed, this isn't a single tasking device.

Maybe Ive understood you wrong...Uh, but I thought one of the big ARM OMAP benefits was Power (and Clockspeed) Management? O.O"
I don't want to do this per hand but the OMAP should be clever enough to underclock the Pandora if we are ONLY into the Menus or just playing Solitaire or so. ;) So YES, I expect that various apps are "messing" with the Clockspeed. Why should a Music Player Application run with 500 MHz?

I was hoping that the launcher/task switcher has the job of changing clock speed. Then you would specify two different clock speed for an application, minimum clock speed and background addition (which would be added to the currently running application's minimum clock requirement)

The clock speed would be limited by global min and max values of course.

I think that what Squidge means with "various apps messing with the clock speed" is when you are multitasking and more than one app is changing the clock speed.

PXML has support for changing the clock speed for individual apps.

Zoxc said:
I was hoping that the launcher/task switcher has the job of changing clock speed. Then you would specify two different clock speed for an application, minimum clock speed and background addition (which would be added to the currently running application's minimum clock requirement)

Or we could have the kernel manage the cpu frequency depending on need, as it knows when there is load and when the system is idle, and can increase and decrease the frequency as appropriate. You know, like a CPU governor, which the Pandora just happens to have both the hardware and software for :)

Why override that and run at a frequency higher (or lower) than necessary?

Yet a promissed feature by Squidge :D

Now this SIMPLE MODE needs a way to manage the screen (so you can switch applications without virtual terminals)

btw ,im a total dick for those hasty posts ,gmenu2x looks great and i hope the pandora has a simular setup,am i right in thinking the (simple) version will be like that of the gp32x and the advanced one will be more open and mabe mouse driven control.

it does look really good and cant wait to mess with it,does the gmenu
use animated backgrounds and multitasking abilities ?

thanks for the link Hells Dark

Hugs all round then.

Gmenu is indeed good. It's deceptively simple on the surface, but is quite adaptable and has a depth of options.

I like the simple mode / full desktop mode approach the Pandora is taking, ala EeePC. That makes it perfect for everyone.

Gruso said:
I like the simple mode / full desktop mode approach the Pandora is taking, ala EeePC. That makes it perfect for everyone.
As long as the simple mode is not too limited because i really don't want to run a desktop environment on my pandora.

I'd like to know what will be the size of the icons in the enhanced Gmenu.
(to prepare some icons)
I guess we don't know it already.

High res icons + High res wallpaper + nice font = yet a nice gui :)

God Ginrai said:
I am so glad to see an update. Not to mention, the news that the Gimp, Pidgin, and Abiword already run on the Pandora. ^_^

-God Ginrai

sweet! i'm presuming it's easily possible to mount a USB drive and save work on/off it, even if launched from gmenu ^^

Back