First Gp2x's Have Arrived

iignotus posted on Sep 17 2005 at 06:23 PM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Sep 17 2005 at 05:21 PM said:
moz posted on Sep 17 2005 at 12:40 PM said:
Digital Awakening posted on Sep 17 2005 at 04:16 PM said:
Moz:
There's a bunch of suggar in orange juice so you may have to clean it to maybe getting it to work.
noted

thanks
since when does orange juice contain sugar? wtf?

edit: myabe sunny Delight, but tropicana and others generally r sugar free :ph34r:
I'll take Natural Sugars for $400, Alex.
yes but natural sugars would hav no effect on the system

Last edited by a moderator:
uh..guys? getting a little off target here? Orange juice is sticky, end of discussion.

I find it odd that you have the guts of a 2X but it has no oppoerating system on it. I'd take it that means everythig being coded for it at the moment is going to bypass linux for now?

Is it just me or does anyone else hate the "bulge" on the back of the console. Sure I know, batteries. But really this is a huge turn off, I look at all of the gamboys none of them had a bulge exept the gbc and it was at least rounded.

The PSP's "bulges" are not as pronounced. They're more like a curved surface to aid your grip. I dont necessarily hate the bulge I just wish it were more towards the center of the back.

my gp32 is now alive after a night in the airing cupboard, the orange juice didnt kill it

craigix posted on Sep 17 2005 at 08:26 PM said:
Trying to order from the USA or from outside europe isn't a good idea right now, as you will pay all europe wide taxes, i will have changed it to remove them next week when our export registration arrives.

Thanks,

Craig

Nice, just saved me a bit of money. I just hope there's still enough pre-orders left next week left when this happens so I will get one from the first batch when I order.

moz posted on Sep 18 2005 at 07:45 AM said:
my gp32 is now alive after a night in the airing cupboard, the orange juice didnt kill it

TBH it doesn't surprise me... I spilled mocha on my first NLU at a conference a couple of years ago, and it worked for ages afterwards (although the controls felt narked dur to mocha definitely being sticky). I was extremely relieved that it did, I can tell you. So far as I know, it would still work, except that some wanker nicked it, so it won't :( lol.

3 Wee questions.

WIll the GP2X be able to suffer from a bad flash?
Where the heck is that S-Video port?
What was all that stuff I heard about a sort of version 2.0 gp2x?

Phil posted on Sep 18 2005 at 01:25 PM said:
3 Wee questions.

WIll the GP2X be able to suffer from a bad flash?
Where the heck is that S-Video port?
What was all that stuff I heard about a sort of version 2.0 gp2x?

1) Any flashable device can be bricked. That's why you have to take precautions, i.e. make sure you do everything properly and have a reliable power source.

2) There is no dedicated s-video port on the unit itself. There will be a cable that plugs into one of the mini-ports of the GPX2 with s-video output on the other end to the TV.

3) There is no "2.0" Gp2X. What you may have heard is people starting dumb rumors. GPH sometimes talks about the "next model" but that is just them speculating on future ideas, there is nothing set in stone or even planned yet. The GP2X isn't even launched yet afterall.

Personally I think DRM support is great. It supports serious developers to make high enough quality games that can actually be sold (probably quite cheap) without risking a lot of piracy that I'm quite sure would happen on a console that mainly have emulated and freeware games.

Digital Awakening posted on Sep 20 2005 at 10:55 PM said:
Personally I think DRM support is great. It supports serious developers to make high enough quality games that can actually be sold (probably quite cheap) without risking a lot of piracy that I'm quite sure would happen on a console that mainly have emulated and freeware games.

Exactly! It just means more possibilties for the GP2X.

People have a knee-jerk reaction to "DRM" sometimes, but like everything else in life, you have to see it in proper context before you judge it.

Prophet posted on Sep 18 2005 at 02:34 PM said:
1) Any flashable device can be bricked. That's why you have to take precautions, i.e. make sure you do everything properly and have a reliable power source.

True, but the GP2X seems to better at protecting itself than the GP32. Kill the power half way through a GP32 or get some other error and you have a bricked unit. Do the same on the GP2X and you can reset it and have another go :)

This is because there's a Linux loader built into the GP2X, and so if you flash a new linux in there and screw it up, the loader is still present, so can still allow you to try again.

Of course, if you decide to flash the loader and screw it up, you've just bricked your unit, as there's nothing to fall back to, but anyone who does that is a nutta :)

Prophet posted on Sep 20 2005 at 11:06 PM said:
Digital Awakening posted on Sep 20 2005 at 10:55 PM said:

Exactly! It just means more possibilties for the GP2X.

People have a knee-jerk reaction to "DRM" sometimes, but like everything else in life, you have to see it in proper context before you judge it.

I don't like DRM at all. It limits your freedom to use YOUR OWN software that you paid for on any unit you want. If your unit breaks for example and you need to get another all of your stuff stops working. It is a major pain in the ass to get everything moved to the new unit if even possible at all. Imagine all of the poor Zodiac users that bought tons of DRMed games and have to replace a dodgy unit now, they are fucked now that tapwave is out of business. They can't even use the stuff they paid for, that is just wrong. That is why I always bought boxed games where possible. The problem is on these new systems that may not be available and you are stuck with 1 copy of a game for 1 unit. I won't buy any commercial games that are DRMed for any of these systems because they stop working the day the unit it is locked to stops working.

DaveC, there is no need to constantly lock to a device - DRM allows you to lock to a certain SD instead (which is what Gizmondo games do). That way, if you device fails, or you break it, just take out SD card and place in new machine. The Zodiac supported this, but Tapwave never used it for downloads.

Back