Hello!

loxley108

Still Fresh
Hi all

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have just discovered the GP2X and it looks fantastic. Have been into gaming for a number of years (from my humble Vic 20) and have recently got into retro gaming big time. The emulator scene would be ideal to enjoy the fantastic remakes which are out there but don't really want to be stuck in front of the PC all the time. So the GP2X is ideal for me, and the homebrew scene and the general GP2X community looks great!!!!

Anyway, just wondering where the best place to buy the GP2X mkII from? I am in the UK so thought i'd order it from:

http://www.gp2x.co.uk/

But just wanted to check this is the best place. Its not really cost but rather delivery times as I can't wait to get started with it.

Nice to meet you all.

Cheers

Brad

gp2x.co.uk is a good choice.
It'll also be easier to return your gp2x if it breaks.

Hi all

Just wanted to introduce myself. I have just discovered the GP2X and it looks fantastic. Have been into gaming for a number of years (from my humble Vic 20) and have recently got into retro gaming big time. The emulator scene would be ideal to enjoy the fantastic remakes which are out there but don't really want to be stuck in front of the PC all the time. So the GP2X is ideal for me, and the homebrew scene and the general GP2X community looks great!!!!

Welcome aboard and the GP32x community is special indeed.

It's nice to have new person with roots in 8-bit microcomputers era.
("number" of years were since then? :) )

I'm still enjoying some 8-bit games thought from Atari800.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the greetings.

Got an immediate response from gp2x.xo.uk saying its next day delivery which is very good :)

I'm 34 years old ( :blink: ) and got my first computer way back in the day with a good old ZX80, then went onto Vic 20, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST and Amiga.

Was also thinking about getting this to help with setting it up?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Is it worth it do you reckon?

Am off to order the GP2X and TV lead :)

Cheers all

Brad

Got an immediate response from gp2x.xo.uk saying its next day delivery which is very good :)

I'm 34 years old ( :blink: ) and got my first computer way back in the day with a good old ZX80, then went onto Vic 20, Amstrad CPC, Atari ST and Amiga.

Cheers all

Brad

No dont get that
you can easily download that for free off the download site
and if you get stuck im sure plenty of people will try help you in the "i need help section"
good luck :D

Cheers all

Brad

No dont get that
you can easily download that for free off the download site
and if you get stuck im sure plenty of people will try help you in the "i need help section"
good luck :D
little clarification: with "the download site" he means: http://archive.gp2x.de

Ta :)

Ordering mine today, with the rechargeable battery pack (as that seems quite good value from the official site), case, tv lead.

Can anyone recommend any good games to kick off with (sorry if thats covered in a different thread)

Thanks

Brad

Also, excuse my ignorance, but do the game files from the download site need an emulator to run?

If not, re. the emulators, where can i get games that run on them from?

e.g. if i downloaded the amstrad emulator and wanted, say, the old Amstrad game Sorcery to put on the GP2X, is there a site i can download it.

Thanks and excuse my ignorance!

Brad

Also, excuse my ignorance, but do the game files from the download site need an emulator to run?

e.g. if i downloaded the amstrad emulator and wanted, say, the old Amstrad game Sorcery to put on the GP2X, is there a site i can download it.

Brad
Hello!

The game files you download will for the most part run from the games menu.
The games you play in emulators are ROMs, but we're not going to link you them here *cough*Google*cough*.

Hi all

Anyway, just wondering where the best place to buy the GP2X mkII from? I am in the UK so thought i'd order it from:

http://www.gp2x.co.uk/

But just wanted to check this is the best place. Its not really cost but rather delivery times as I can't wait to get started with it.

Nice to meet you all.

Cheers

Brad

Yes, I got mine from there at the start of the year. Orded the whole shooting match, but I don't use the case. Doh!

I ordered it on the Monday and had it by Thrusday, if I remeber correctly. :)

It's a mix. Some of the downloads are homebrew games (or ports) and utils, some of them are the emulators themselves.
Generally, they make it clear as to what is required to make each game work.

Brad

Shhh! (Quoting this: you don't request "warez/rom links"). But I won't rat on ya ;)

If you have, using your example, your old Amstrad games, you can convert them directly to ROMs (correct me if I'm wrong - don't have an Amstrad or games).
Most people download the ready-made ROMs of games they already own (you'll have to find the sites yourself, I'm afraid).

A good start if you like the old point-and-click adventures is the ScummVM emu. Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen were released freeware and can be grabbed here.
The GP2X emu that I use is here. The only niggle is that in FotAQ you must push A at least once to give saved games a name, or they don't save ;)

Surely that is illegal. To sell free software written by other people.
Being pendantic: Depends on the license. Some licenses explicitly allow you to repackage and sell the product - most don't.

I'm not allowed my gp2x till next Friday for my 0100000'nd birthday :( so I dont know how any of it works yet but I know that amstrad cpc games are free of restrictions and have been for a number of years now so this should be safe to post

removed.

Maybe not due to the top level domain. Actually. But the amstrad games are definitely free.

Back