First Person Shooters

E

extremegamer

Now with Quake on our GP32 being about the most advanced first person shooter we're going to get, what about the older ones, can those be ported, for example, Dark Forces? or Blood?

I know stuff needs source code, but Doom has source code, and Quake has source code, and i'm sure there are probably some other 1st person shooters that can be ported as well, I just don't know what they are, except for Dark Forces or Blood. So I'm asking, and I probably could've worded it better so everyone can understand, are there other 1st person shooters that could be ported.

I think Doom and Quake have sources on the net because of Id software....
I never heard about Dark Forces source code or blood one...

see you :lol:

Jeha it would be very cool if some other games get an port (especially Duke Nukem).
I think other games like Transport Tycoon would be nice if there is a port. But this game isn't open source. Or is it possible to port thePatch (http://www.ttdpatch.net/) ? Or any older Racing Games? There are only a few racing games on the GP

about transport tycoon I remember someone saying he would port it on this forum but I dont remember who...
That would be cool to have some old PC games...but as always : no ports without sources...

see you :lol:

There is that free Tycoon thing, but the idea has been toyed with for months.

OT: Washo, your avatar rocks ;)

Duke Nukem 3D for the GP32 would be excellent. Maybe Shadow Warrior too! (who wanta some wang?)

Perhaps some Email enquiries to 3drealms about releasing the source code for it? :)

If i remember rightly someone posted on the 3drealms forum about porting duke, but it had some crazy error.

I would love dark forces to be ported to the gp32, and JK1 would be a dream come true but we all know that stingy lucas arts wont let out their code.

other great thinghs to port would be Little Big Adventure as this was one of my fave. games of all time.

It IS being tweaked for the new age of PCs so i wonder if its possible that we could get the creator to help. Also some fanatics has got the origional designers email adress ;)

The Duke sourcecode is already available? Seems like its ripe for the porting then, anyone looking for a project? :)

Dark forces would be great too, i agree, as well as little big adventure, i loved that game, and the follow up.

If I remember correctly than there was a big problem porting the build engine (duke3d&blood ect), because the code was highly x68 (PC) specific. Meaning that you had to rewrite almoste the entire game.

What I would like to see finished it the already existing port of Descent... it just seems to need some more love ;)

does no one use search?
doom use fixed point
thus its fast
quake uses floating point, it slowish
duke nukem uses floating, so porting is hard and theres only 1 floating point coder for gp32 I know, woogal

~Octavious

There wasan excellent DOOM-esque first person shooter on the MAC a while back, I believe it was called Marathon. It would be VERY cool to see that on the GP32, but, alas, the source code is probably gone into the 4 winds.

BaDToaD posted on Sep 25 2004 at 10:21 PM said:
Actually Marathon seems to have a very strong open source following. See here for details. I'm not sure what good it'll do us though.

It won't, the remake is done in OpenGL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just thought of another game.

Remember outlaws, the spaghetti western shooter released by lucusarts?

dunno about sourcecode though <_<

I think all this is nice, but the programmers are pretty busy already. The version of Heretic is still pretty much in its infancy. I can't wait til that's finished :)

Clare.

exactly how hard and what does it require (obviously a source code) to port a game to the gp32

patro999 posted on Oct 7 2004 at 08:20 PM said:
exactly how hard and what does it require (obviously a source code) to port a game to the gp32

Look at this link: here I explained what you need to do to port a game to the GP32.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back