Shooters

emcp

hi, im just wondering one whether to buy open pandora or not
ive been thinking about it for a month or so

but basically with the 30th approaching, i need to ask these questions

im a first person shooter fan, good 3rd person shooters, or just something action packed such as prince of persia will keep me pleased

i know this is more for emulation of retro arcade games, but can you see many of these games coming out,
and more importantly any original ideas, ports are fine etc, but i like to see others having their own story line

also ive heard some talk about an online network, just wondering is this still being worked on

also i enjoy racing games, problem is the physics would have to be good in them

basically if im not going to be playing point and click atari games or side scrolling games, would this be for me

on a side note, would the bluetooth of pandora beable to be used AS playstation controller, just id like to have a touchscreen macro, for getting to my messages quickly, sony really screwed up the xmb by cluttering it

thanks

Hi.
First of all, I can tell you read the FAQ or the pandora website, at least SOMEONE does.
Anyway, these are more theoretical questions that at the moment have no concrete answer, but here goes.

1. The Playstation will be emulated, and possibly in the future the N64. These both, especially PSX, have great deals of first and third person shooters. Goldeneye, anyone?

2. There will probably be quite a few homebrew 3 and 1st person shooters because of the never before seen controls. also, quake 2 and possibly quake 3 being ported, along with things like doom and many other open source FPS's.

3. The online network, TINXL, is an online protocol being worked on by parag0n and it seems very solid and chances are it will be materialized.

4. emulators also have racing games- open source ones will also probably be ported.

5. chances are very very unlikely. a concrete NO unless you run linux on your ps3.

Sounds like Pandora is not for you.

Developing high quality FPS or 3D racing games requires a ton of time and money, and there isn't really 3rd party support for Pandora from big video game companies.

Pandora can certainly do better than point and click Atari, but it's emulators will mainly be covering pre-2000 material.

I know what you mean ,i already have a psp that has tons of perfectly emulated systems on it but was really into pandora for the 3d stuff ,i think you might be in luck as theres a ton of great linux ,free source fps
games that can be ported over to pandora ,this said tho the cpu requirments would/could also be an issue but i do think you will see some unusual and pretty cool 3d driving and fps games comming to pandora via linux.

check out youtube - linux games or - open source games

i want the pandora as its much more powerfull than any other handheld
out there and it has much better potential of running custom os's like linux and in turn can run even more stuff that runs on linux itself ,quake 2 & quake3 is possible,also doom - theres plenty of cool games that i am sure you will see on pandora.

the pandora is the kind of handheld that might get me porting soe of my 3dgs projects
tho i will need to see how easily this can be done after the release.

naples39 said:

Developing high quality FPS or 3D racing games requires a ton of time and money, and there isn't really 3rd party support for Pandora from big video game companies.

Pandora can certainly do better than point and click Atari, but it's emulators will mainly be covering pre-2000 material.
Well, he hasn't really stated his situation. if he doesn't already have a PSP I would think he would do well to get one, because with emulation and homebrew the pandora will end up with about as many shooters as the PSp.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Quake II and Quake III, along with mods like Urban Terror, are good for you, then Pandora might not be a bad choice. Also, like mentioned above, if PSX and N64 shooters are good for you, then Pandora would again be a good choice.

If Dreamcast gets emulated (It's a...possibility) then all sorts of DC shooters would work.

Whether or not other shooters come out on Pandora all depends on developer interest, so whatever people say about shooters like this is merely speculation. Cube and Cube 2 could come to Pandora, but no one really knows about anything else.

I would like to see an ironsight aiming shooter to be ported.

But there's no source code for the "True Combat" Quake 3 Mod, and "True Combat: Elite" is out of scope (and there's no source code available, also).

Is there any other open source shooter with ironsight aiming?

hey

I don't plan on doing much (if not any) emulation and such either, mostly getting it cause I want to develop cool original games for it :). Anyhows I hope this catches on and we start seeing lots of cool original games, I mean it has the controls so why not use them? I see the Pandora as a great opportunity for developers :), they can go mad knowing everyone has the same top notch controls.

Umm, there are a few FPS that could be ported such as the original Doom games, and Cube and those already mentioned here.

edit
BTW, I was just wondering about what was going on with TINXL yesterday and forgot to ask anything about it, but yea if nothing is going on then I'm sure someone will pick up on it (I think this is kinda essential, so it's something I will look into if I must).

cyas

on top of that, the pandora has an amazing quality of:
sound
resolution
screen crispyness?

so it is a multipurpose piece of work there!

naples39 said:

yeah... and all the big companies make games..that cost money.in my opinion it would not be very bright for a big company to release a payed game to an open source comunity :)

Well, he hasn't really stated his situation. if he doesn't already have a PSP I would think he would do well to get one, because with emulation and homebrew the pandora will end up with about as many shooters as the PSp.

This is true but the Pandora has two (2!) analogue sticks so at least I'm pretty psyched.

CoMiKe said:
I would like to see an ironsight aiming shooter to be ported.

+1
Well, there`s a couple of Rainbow Six games that were ported to Playstation.

thanks all

i knew the psx was being ported, and the n64 might run, but then again goldeneye and mario kart (the 2 im interested in) have had problems being emulated before

also i totally forgot about rainbow six on the psx

the quake games ive never really played, i have it on the PSP and the wii

i enjoy it on the wii because of the controls, thats the huge downer about the psp

but yeah quake is fine, i wasnt looking for stunning games, i was just looking for decent fps (also what is it about quake, all the mods ive saw dont really change the terrain, theyre still sort of tunnel/maze like )

scratch that, all psp mods are tunnels/mazes, urban terror looks very good

i was just wanting to see how the community felt about fps, and if theres some people showing some interest in it

also i never really played my psp because of the lame controls, i mainly used it for learning on it (developing), id try and move onto the pandora, as it would be alot more interesting because of the controls.

in summary i think im getting this beast.
i was worried just how good the psx emulator was.

also i was wanting some more fps game names, ill check cube out and the linux games

thanks

closetwam said:
Gran Turismo I & II.

The physics aren't exactly "real", but it's still pretty darn fun IMO.
That's what I'm talking about. Imagine a giant like EA supporting games for the Pandora? NFS would be the shizzit. Or Madden? Or even the NGAGE Devs. They'd probably have more customers from the pandora people than the NGAGE crowd. I guess I can keep dreaming.
P.S. I own the first gen NGAGE and it is still great even for today standards.

ish420 said:
closetwam said:
Gran Turismo I & II.

The physics aren't exactly "real", but it's still pretty darn fun IMO.
That's what I'm talking about. Imagine a giant like EA supporting games for the Pandora?

sacrificing our integrity for a little recognition?

ish420 said:
That's what I'm talking about. Imagine a giant like EA supporting games for the Pandora? NFS would be the shizzit. Or Madden? Or even the NGAGE Devs.
EA, Madden and NGage?

*cringe* <_<

This is not, and NEVER will be a mainstream device. Even the PSP, with monster multinational Sony behind it, has struggled to get good software support. EA wouldn't even piss on the Pandora much less publish a game for it.

Back