Bluetooth Im

whiskthecat said:
Mesh networking is cool and all but you have to realize that the chance of more than 2 pandoras being in the same area is close to zero

Lucky for me, the chance for 3 Pandoras to be near each other is high. (Although higher than that is as you said for me)

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
whiskthecat said:
Mesh networking is cool and all but you have to realize that the chance of more than 2 pandoras being in the same area is close to zero

Depends on how many w-e-s-e-l-l ;-)

EDIT:BTW, Why did this thing just call me a 'stupid spammer?

Jourdy288 said:
whiskthecat said:

Depends on how many w-e-s-e-l-l ;-)

EDIT:BTW, Why did this thing just call me a 'stupid spammer?

They will never sell enough that a mesh network using Bluetooth anywhere other than a Pandora convention would be possible. Hate to break it to you, but even finding DSes close to you is not the easiest task.

And it called you a stupid spammer because it has that phrase keyed out for when people try to promote their own goods on the forums with spamn.

-God Ginrai

What if I told you I could help make them popular? With kids, their parents, their cousins, and their rivals? I'm very good at promoting things. If people knew that the games and software for Pandora was free... Hang on, I'm starting a new thread, this needs a topic.

Just in case it does becomes popular, I think there should be some adhoc Wi-Fi based chat program, basically a clone of the DS's Pictochat.
Somebody who knows more about adhoc Wi-Fi could look into this.

If I could even just communicate between my laptop and Pandora without any other wireless infrastructure, that would be great. Sadly, I don't know much about adhoc Wi-Fi...

lulzfish said:
Just in case it does becomes popular, I think there should be some adhoc Wi-Fi based chat program, basically a clone of the DS's Pictochat.
Somebody who knows more about adhoc Wi-Fi could look into this.

If I could even just communicate between my laptop and Pandora without any other wireless infrastructure, that would be great. Sadly, I don't know much about adhoc Wi-Fi...
The good thing about making some generic connection/network library (like TINXL or whatever), or just using NetworkManager, is that we'll be able to add AdHoc to that library and all programs using it will get AdHoc capabilities. Making individual programs for special purposes isn't a solution I think.

Is there a way to connect to computers on an adhoc LAN based on their name?
I can certainly use IP addresses, but it's a lot of trouble and I don't know how IPs work on an adhoc network.

I want a GUI where one Pandora / laptop can say, "start server" and the other can say "connect to lulz's-pandora" and then they can transfer files / chat without any trouble.

lulzfish said:
I can certainly use IP addresses, but it's a lot of trouble and I don't know how IPs work on an adhoc network.

I want a GUI where one Pandora / laptop can say, "start server" and the other can say "connect to lulz's-pandora" and then they can transfer files / chat without any trouble.

IPs work pretty much the same on adhoc wireless that they do with a router... just use IPs in a private range 192.x.x.x, 10.x.x.x and match the subnet mask (ie. 255.255.255.0). No need for a gateway address. Most of the time (Windows and Linux) you have to manually specify the IPs for the computers talk over an adhoc connection though.

Might be overkill but what about just having the Pandora that hosts the connection running a DHCP server... friend sees SSID and connects. No entering IPs in the same subnet manually, having matching subnet masks, yada yada.

Games could create an adhoc network with the name of the game that they are playing and then it would be cake for someone else to connect.

michaeljustman said:
lulzfish said:

IPs work pretty much the same on adhoc wireless that they do with a router... just use IPs in a private range 192.x.x.x, 10.x.x.x and match the subnet mask (ie. 255.255.255.0). No need for a gateway address. Most of the time (Windows and Linux) you have to manually specify the IPs for the computers talk over an adhoc connection though.

Might be overkill but what about just having the Pandora that hosts the connection running a DHCP server... friend sees SSID and connects. No entering IPs in the same subnet manually, having matching subnet masks, yada yada.

Games could create an adhoc network with the name of the game that they are playing and then it would be cake for someone else to connect.
It's more and more that's gotta fit on those 512 MiB. Now we need a complete DHCP server, too :p
Not that a DHCP server takes up much space, but when adding it all up, you'll see that the NAND slowly's getting crammed.

And we really need a library for this; having each individual game go into a separate WiFi channel and hosting a DHCP server will waste processor cycles. We should just make a library like TINXL or similar that just handles it all for us.

This thread made me reminisce about the days of Pictochat at the back of the class with people around the school.

Back