Navigation For Pandora

borgqueenx

Website
gdteam.net
Im planning to buy a bluetooth gps thingy to use with the pandora.
But now we need a pandora optimised navigation software.
Is there any for linux that will work on the pandora, supporting the resolution, and other stuff so it will work?

Looks good. Next purchase off ebay, bluetooth GPS thingy!

Some other 'augmented reality' type software would be good. The kind of thing that uses the GPS find you location and then help you spot constellations, planets etc.

navit seems fun, but openstreetmaps doesnt sound fun.
Where can i download the country street data?
I found a site with a export function, but i can only save it as image files....no use.

borgqueenx said:
I found a site with a export function, but i can only save it as image files....no use.

I have heard, though I can't back this up at the moment, that some GPS software uses images of maps. You have to set this up in the software by specifying the coordinates of the corners of your map image. Your position from your GPS can then be plotted relative to your map. The downside is, of course is, that without a database you can't search for locations and addresses etc. But the up side is that you can use any map image, any type of map, for anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wookiee said:
borgqueenx said:

I have heard, though I can't back this up at the moment, that some GPS software uses images of maps. You have to set this up in the software by specifying the coordinates of the corners of your map image. Your position from your GPS can then be plotted relative to your map. The downside is, of course is, that without a database you can't search for locations and addresses etc. But the up side is that you can use any map image, any type of map, for anywhere.
argh. without a function to type in a city to navigate to, i wont use it.

Are there more posibilities?

borgqueenx said:
Wookiee said:
borgqueenx said:

I don't know if this applies to the software Gruso mentions. Its just something I've heard about some GPS applications.

borgqueenx said:
Wookiee said:
borgqueenx said:

Just download the relevant OSM map from the Navit wiki for your location.

I've just tested out Navit. Here's what you do:
1) Download and install navit. (duh, but this is the hardest step. Whether you install from precompiled repository or build from source, all the instructions are on the wiki)
2) Go to http://maps.navit-project.org/download/
3) Navigate to the place you want, draging the map and double clicking to zoom in (or using the icons)
4) Change control to "Select" and draw a box around the area you want
5) Hit export to save that map data.
6) Modify the navit.xml file (wherever it was installed to) to point to your exported map data
voila!
no GPS data since I don't have a GPS, but the maps there. You may also have to change the default starting location. I just did a search (the "destination" button) for the city I downloaded and it took me right there. I could then zoom in on the streets, see street lights and parking and food joints... and bus stops, cool. That icon is hospital, good to know. That's a coffee shop. Gas station right beside the church, I know that place.
Yup, everything seems to be working perfectly. I imagine it'd work even better with GPS data, if I could just figure out a way to create some dummy data daemon to play with.

The software that uses images is Garmin. Don't use Garmin maps. They're crap, and I have no idea how Garmin got to be such a huge leader in the GPS field, and I'm certainly not bitter in any way.

WizardStan said:
1) Download and install navit. (duh, but this is the hardest step. Whether you install from precompiled repository or build from source, all the instructions are on the wiki)
3) Navigate to the place you want, draging the map and double clicking to zoom in (or using the icons)
6) Modify the navit.xml file (wherever it was installed to) to point to your exported map data
voila!
no GPS data since I don't have a GPS, but the maps there. You may also have to change the default starting location. I just did a search (the "destination" button) for the city I downloaded and it took me right there. I could then zoom in on the streets, see street lights and parking and food joints... and bus stops, cool. That icon is hospital, good to know. That's a coffee shop. Gas station right beside the church, I know that place.
Yup, everything seems to be working perfectly. I imagine it'd work even better with GPS data, if I could just figure out a way to create some dummy data daemon to play with.

The software that uses images is Garmin. Don't use Garmin maps. They're crap, and I have no idea how Garmin got to be such a huge leader in the GPS field, and I'm certainly not bitter in any way.
that link...i dont see roads or stuff like that in the netherlands.
Not a detailed map....more like...nothing.

or is it me?

no, that's correct. It's just the world with basic features, water, borders, and city centers. No roads or anything. Trust me, they're all there when you download though.
6a) My default install was using a default map. You need to change that <mapset> to not be enabled, find the OpenStreet maps <mapset> tag, set enabled to yes, and then set the <map> tag inside it to point to the bin file you just downloaded. It might sound complicated, but once you do it you'll see that I'm just bad at giving directions.

The data quality of OpenStreetMap in the Netherlands is outstanding, iirc they had a data import of free government data. http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.145&lon=5.018&zoom=10&layers=B000FFF

Spirit said:
The data quality of OpenStreetMap in the Netherlands is outstanding, iirc they had a data import of free government data. http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.145&lon=5.018&zoom=10&layers=B000FFF
alright. That image looks very detailed. But does it has databases and stuff? Easy to copy and paste into a navigation app like navit for example?

WizardStan said:
voila!
Thanks for the instructions, and I might try this later if I get a chance. I have a bluetooth GPS dongle and a Linux laptop.
WizardStan said:
Yeah, I don't know what map version you're talking about, but current Garmin maps (2008-later, and probably earlier) don't use images. They generate the map from vectorized data That's why they never pixellate no matter how far you zoom in, and also why your GPS will say "rendering" or "rasterizing" map if you zoom out real quick. Their map format is actually incredibly good and highly efficient. The software and GUI frontend itself kinda blows, but the maps are very good, and since most areas of the U.S. in OpenStreetMap are just the TIGER files from the Census Bureau, Garmin's maps are actually more accurate (they took TIGER and then corrected any areas that were off.)

Spirit said:
They just finished an import of the 2007 Census Bureau TIGER shapefiles, which is the equivalent of what you said, but for the U.S. So most addresses and streets should work perfectly fine, but business data and such will probably have to be entered manually. But hey, if you enter in the data then other people in your area get the benefit of it too, just upload your changes to OSM!

One thing TIGER doesn't include is information on One-Way Streets, so you can get impossible routes, so you have to pay attention to where you're going please!
(in my area someone already put the 1-way information on all the streets, so yay for me :) )

borgqueenx said:
alright. That image looks very detailed. But does it has databases and stuff? Easy to copy and paste into a navigation app like navit for example?

I haven't tried it but it should be easy: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Navit
http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/ has readily "cut" files for countries.

Spirit said:
borgqueenx said:

I haven't tried it but it should be easy: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Navit
http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/ has readily "cut" files for countries.
i downloaded from "planet extraction" somewhere on the navit site.

Now i have a problem. How can i test the navigation on my notebook with windows?
I only saw one setup file in german.... i installed it, but when i start navit i see a dos prompt that closes instantly.

How can i test this out?

Here's the sourceforge files page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/navit/files/
You can download the setup.exe file. Seems to work for me. The default download is a .cab, but I've no idea how to install that.
Note! there's already an armv4 in an opkg. This may "just work" on the Pandora out of the box. I'll give it a try on my BeagleBoard later tonight.

WizardStan said:
Here's the sourceforge files page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/navit/files/
You can download the setup.exe file. Seems to work for me. The default download is a .cab, but I've no idea how to install that.
Note! there's already an armv4 in an opkg. This may "just work" on the Pandora out of the box. I'll give it a try on my BeagleBoard later tonight.
how did you start navit?
i started it on vista after installation through the start menu shortcut.
I only see a quick dos prompt popup and closes right after opening.
Nothing happens.

Back