Navigation For Pandora

OpenTheBox said:
I have no experiences with GPS nor Linux. Would something like this Globalsat BT-359 potentially work? It was on sale for $25, so I thought what the heck. :)
Yep, same one I have. Doesn't lock on in my apartment but it's quick outside. Better at locking on than my phone (e71). I got mine for about that price bidding on eBay, but mine was used. Nice find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tuxedomask29 said:
Tuxedomask29 said:
I sent them an email asking their thoughts with the Pandora's Specs. I don't have a problem paying for it, if it will work more like a commercial unit with respect to just point, enter address, and go. When it comes to GPS's fancy features or difficult setup is not something I want. Just get me where I want to go. Thanks for your quick response! :)

Just a quick update for those who are interested...

I received a response from Frank, a sales rep., for Polstar. At this point he had more questions than answers such as how the device GPS functionality works. Told him via USB or Bluetooth external GPS Antennas. He ask if we were looking for an individual software solution or if we wanted to distribute the software with the device. I told him an individual software solution. I'll let you know when I hear more.

Another quick update...

I've been talking with Polstar and they are very interested in providing a solution for us. They will be providing me with a link when I receive my Pandora to test their software on my device so they can verify if it will work with our OS. They said that they usually work out a deal to have it installed as part of the OS but that they have no problem selling the software to the end users instead, providing it will work with the OS provided with the Pandora.

Im wondering if this Holux version on DX is worth buying for combo with the pandora...
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8840

I only read good reviews there, so im wondering if it will be a piece of cake to use this with the pandora.
if yes im gonna buy it :)

borgqueenx said:
Im wondering if this Holux version on DX is worth buying for combo with the pandora...

I only read good reviews there, so im wondering if it will be a piece of cake to use this with the pandora.

Its a bluetooth GPS, it'll work as well as any other Bluetooth gps with the pandora.

Enverex said:
borgqueenx said:

Its a bluetooth GPS, it'll work as well as any other Bluetooth gps with the pandora.
ah...but there are also differences with quality. I guess this one will do fine then :)

borgqueenx said:
Enverex said:
borgqueenx said:

ah...but there are also differences with quality. I guess this one will do fine then :)

Which is why I said "it'll work as well as any other gps with the pandora" not "it's just a good as any other gps"

Tuxedomask29 said:
Another quick update...

I've been talking with Polstar and they are very interested in providing a solution for us. They will be providing me with a link when I receive my Pandora to test their software on my device so they can verify if it will work with our OS. They said that they usually work out a deal to have it installed as part of the OS but that they have no problem selling the software to the end users instead, providing it will work with the OS provided with the Pandora.
I'm a little concerned. Are they fully aware that you are just an end user interested in their software, not someone actually tied to the project? Do they realize the limited scope of the project, and that they may only get a handful (and possibly only one) sale for their effort?
Having an official commercial product specifically for the Pandora would be a major landmark, but won't do any good if it's a flop.

WizardStan said:
Tuxedomask29 said:
Another quick update...

I'm a little concerned. Are they fully aware that you are just an end user interested in their software, not someone actually tied to the project? Do they realize the limited scope of the project, and that they may only get a handful (and possibly only one) sale for their effort?
Having an official commercial product specifically for the Pandora would be a major landmark, but won't do any good if it's a flop.
Yes they are aware that I'm just a lonely end user and have no ties to the project whatsoever. They are doing what any other business does that wants to try to sell more stuff, have someone test it and if it works, no issues and they have possible additional revenue. If not, then there pretty much done unless some small change would make it work. :) The required specs from their page match pandora pretty closely, the only thing they seem slightly worried about is if it will support the version of Linux on the Pandora.

If the Android OS where to be ported to the Pandora, or at least an android application launcher, would the new Google maps work on it(with an Internet connection)? Because it looks really sleek! Might even be the future to GPS software.

/ignore me if this is a stupid question, I've been here for years but I'm still a noob

borgqueenx said:
alright i jsut received my holux 1000b gps receiver. trying to test it now :) hopefully i didnt buy it for nothing, because i bought it for pandora :)
That's really cool, what OS are you using it with to test it out?

Edit: Does this pic accurately reflect it's size?

holux-car-gps-bluetooth-receiver-m-1000b-2164_1.jpg

That thing is tiny.

second exodous said:
borgqueenx said:
alright i jsut received my holux 1000b gps receiver. trying to test it now :) hopefully i didnt buy it for nothing, because i bought it for pandora :)

That thing is tiny.
yes thats my baby :p

but please help me testing our this thing on a windows. its connected at com36 and many apps dont go futher then com16.
I need a app that simply shows my position on a map.

borgqueenx said:
second exodous said:
borgqueenx said:

That thing is tiny.

but please help me testing our this thing on a windows. its connected at com36 and many apps dont go futher then com16.
Thats cool that it's so small, smaller than a cell phone, and good that it's blutooth, no need to have it plugged into your Pandora.

Have you tried Navit? That is probably your best bet. Maybe there is something on that wiki to help you detect it and stuff.

If this works for you I'm getting one, for under 60 bucks that's a good price.

Edit: it looks like Navit doesn't run well in windows, you might just try finding something else or installing ubuntu, or maybe there is a live distro with navit?

Edit Edit: Nothing came up on google when I searched for a live cd with Navit. If you install ubuntu they have packages on the wiki for the newest version, 9.10. Also, if you try it in Linux your more likely to get a better idea on how it will work on the Pandora than trying it in Windows.

second exodous said:
borgqueenx said:
second exodous said:
borgqueenx said:

That thing is tiny.

Thats cool that it's so small, smaller than a cell phone, and good that it's blutooth, no need to have it plugged into your Pandora.

Have you tried Navit? That is probably your best bet. Maybe there is something on that wiki to help you detect it and stuff.

If this works for you I'm getting one, for under 60 bucks that's a good price.

Edit: it looks like Navit doesn't run well in windows, you might just try finding something else or installing ubuntu, or maybe there is a live distro with navit?

Edit Edit: Nothing came up on google when I searched for a live cd with Navit. If you install ubuntu they have packages on the wiki for the newest version, 9.10. Also, if you try it in Linux your more likely to get a better idea on how it will work on the Pandora than trying it in Windows.
dont forget the 24 hours battery inside :)
Well i just wanna get my position in windows. dont care what app.

ThaDSman said:
If the Android OS where to be ported to the Pandora, or at least an android application launcher, would the new Google maps work on it(with an Internet connection)? Because it looks really sleek! Might even be the future to GPS software.

/ignore me if this is a stupid question, I've been here for years but I'm still a noob

Semi expert android user here, so...

Google Maps is actually one of the proprietary applications. It is NOT open source, and is not a part of the Android stack. As such, if Android is ported... it's hit or miss if it works. And, you will probably have to write a driver for Android to support the custom GPS.

Gary13579 said:
ThaDSman said:

Semi expert android user here, so...

Google Maps is actually one of the proprietary applications. It is NOT open source, and is not a part of the Android stack. As such, if Android is ported... it's hit or miss if it works. And, you will probably have to write a driver for Android to support the custom GPS.

Aww, well that sucks...

Oh, and I forgot to mention, even if you managed to hack it together to work, it'd be illegal to do.

Not saying it's impossible. It shouldn't be *too* hard to write the GPS driver, and if you manage to port Davlik, Google Maps itself should be platform independent (since it runs in the Java like VM).

Sphinxter said:
C'mon, just insert cd and install.
wish it was that easy. the cd only has a app that allows you to connect to the holux but stops at port 30.
and a driver for connecting the blueooth device through usb, but then you need a special usb driver...
most apps i tried wont open COM ports more then 30....my holux gps device is connected on COM36.
I have a app called goops. very old app from 2006, but it does reconise my gps with bluetooth. it says signal aquired after 2 seconds.
But it can only show your position in google earth or some othe sites and apps. i tried auto-uploading to gpsgate.com and to open my position in google earth.
Both did nothing.

More things i can try?

Back