Http:andnav2

Navigation will be one of my main usages for the Pandora. Nav-it is a good contender, but so is Gosmore. I hope Pandora and OpenStreetMap will be a good team B)

mcobit said:
http://www.andnav.org/index.php/de/about-andnav

Just found this. It is an Opensource Navigationsoftware for the Android Phone.
Would it be possible to port it to the Pandora and have realtime navigation with a gps stick?

That would be really cool.

Assuming it's not using much android specific stuff, it'd probably be straightforward to port. The biggest drawback is that it uses openstreetmap for it's map data (think a wiki for maps) - which doesn't have complete coverage - It'll probably get you to the right place if it's in the middle of a big city, but won't be as much help if you're going somewhere a bit more off the beaten track

Of course it's getting better all the time.

A bit of googling found another gps app using the same data, which might be simpler to port:
http://roadmap.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

Last edited by a moderator:
benjymous said:
Assuming it's not using much android specific stuff, it'd probably be straightforward to port. The biggest drawback is that it uses openstreetmap for it's map data (think a wiki for maps) - which doesn't have complete coverage - It'll probably get you to the right place if it's in the middle of a big city, but won't be as much help if you're going somewhere a bit more off the beaten track

Actually, OSM coverage is a bit random, so you may get good coverage even in the middle of nowhere, if an OSM entusiast lives there :)
Also, I believe that there are a few countries already well covered, e.g. the UK and Germany (active communities), US, Netherlands (imports), etc.

Is this enought "middle of nowhere"? (I got this from random clicking on the map :) )
http://geo.topf.org/comparison/index.html?...289289&z=13

Anyway, there are a few other apps that use OSM data and are already available in Angstrom, like TangoGPS and Navit, and there is an editor (osm2go) in maemo that will probably be easy to port

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you can use a external bluetooth gps receiver then? That would be fantastic.
I'm very excited about this project but so nervous that it may fall flat on it's face.
Either way, I wish I had managed to pre-order for the first batch.
Oh well, just have to see how things pan out.

General problem with Linux (based) navigation systems..

the maps... openstreetmap is not usefull (yet) in most day to day usage.

Maybe Wayfinder may port it's "maps" application to the Pandora, the port should be rather straightforward from the Nokia N8x0 series....

Of course, it's paying for directions, but the maps are up to date and cover a lot of places
The application works pretty good (I use it on my N800 with a Nokia GPS mouse).

The main drawback (for EU users mainly) is that you can't plot a journey from let's say Amsterdam to Paris - there is no "major streets of europe" map and you can't load several maps at one.

An advantage is that is can fetch Traffic Information when connected to the internet.

an let's not forget the "speedcams" who are fairly up to date, I often just put it on in "non navigation mode", just for that warning :)

Back