Bluetooth Im

Jourdy288

http://mulliner.org/bluetooth/btchat/

I stumbled across Linux Bluetooth IM software, anybody think this is something useful for the Pandora?
On a side note, are we going to have any 3D games? The type you see in games like Pikmin? I'm just wondering if there are any in particular in the works.

Jourdy288 said:
http://mulliner.org/bluetooth/btchat/

I stumbled across Linux Bluetooth IM software, anybody think this is something useful for the Pandora?
On a side note, are we going to have any 3D games? The type you see in games like Pikmin? I'm just wondering if there are any in particular in the works.

That would be a waste of battery life, probably.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
You really think so? In that case, what about Pandoraphone....? Wouldn't that take more power?

There will be some 3D games like Quake 1 - 3 and the PS1 emulator, but there's not many original projects in the works.

It's odd that you give Pikmin as an example, but I answered your question. There will be 3D games.

Jourdy288 said:
You really think so? In that case, what about Pandoraphone....? Wouldn't that take more power?

It might. I never said I supported it. However, a bluetooth IM works over about 3-5 meters at best, whereas the Pandora Phone can work across the country. See why I say that it's pointless? If you're talking to someone 3-5 meters away from you, you might as well just go up and talk to them face to face.

-God Ginrai

I get it, how strong really is the BT radio in the Pandora...? Also, any plans for mesh networking? That could be useful!

lulzfish said:
There will be some 3D games like Quake 1 - 3 and the PS1 emulator, but there's not many original projects in the works.

It's odd that you give Pikmin as an example, but I answered your question. There will be 3D games.

As far as original projects go, can I use Genesis 3D to make 3D graphics for games?

God Ginrai said:
Jourdy288 said:

It might. I never said I supported it. However, a bluetooth IM works over about 3-5 meters at best, whereas the Pandora Phone can work across the country. See why I say that it's pointless? If you're talking to someone 3-5 meters away from you, you might as well just go up and talk to them face to face.

-God Ginrai
Pointless is perhaps a bit harsh, but I can't imagine it being useful in enough situations to make it worthwhile. I suppose if it's really noisy or you're wanting to double check something from across the room at a party. But in general I'd tend to agree that it seems like a solution in need of a problem.

EDIT: And I'm more than a little shocked that you can vote yourself up or down. That seems somewhat ripe for abuse.

hedwards said:
God Ginrai said:
Jourdy288 said:

-God Ginrai
Pointless is perhaps a bit harsh, but I can't imagine it being useful in enough situations to make it worthwhile. I suppose if it's really noisy or you're wanting to double check something from across the room at a party. But in general I'd tend to agree that it seems like a solution in need of a problem.

EDIT: And I'm more than a little shocked that you can vote yourself up or down. That seems somewhat ripe for abuse.

I know, I was shocked too, but why do us n00bs, with our honest questions, get voted down so much? That ain't fair.

Jourdy288 said:
I know, I was shocked too, but why do us n00bs, with our honest questions, get voted down so much? That ain't fair.
Going over my own post history, I've discovered that the best way to get voted up is to criticize Craigix.

VRAndy said:
Jourdy288 said:
Going over my own post history, I've discovered that the best way to get voted up is to criticize Craigix.
Cool, but doesn't that mean you don't get customer support?

God Ginrai said:
Jourdy288 said:

-God Ginrai

Pandora Phone will require additional hardware, a working phone contract and a data-plan/service on that phone. A Bluetooth IM program wouldn't require anything new (except for the application itself) and would probably work for up to 15m or so depending on the hardware in use which sure, isn't going to replace MSN/ICQ/AIM/Jabber/etc but is useful in office situations or people in different rooms, etc.

Enverex said:
Jourdy288 said:
Hmm, could Pandora Phone use Skype?

No Skype client for Linux ARM so no (and they are massively behind on Linux x86).
Oi, I was just using Skype generically, perhaps we could use some other VoIP? I remember seeing one for Ubuntu when I tried the live CD...

Jourdy288 said:
Enverex said:
Jourdy288 said:
Hmm, could Pandora Phone use Skype?

No Skype client for Linux ARM so no (and they are massively behind on Linux x86).
Oi, I was just using Skype generically, perhaps we could use some other VoIP? I remember seeing one for Ubuntu when I tried the live CD...

There are quite a few SIP clients such as Ekiga which shouldn't be too hard to port, in-fact they are probably already in the ARM distro repo, you'd have to check to be certain though.

Enverex said:
God Ginrai said:
Jourdy288 said:

-God Ginrai

Pandora Phone will require additional hardware, a working phone contract and a data-plan/service on that phone. A Bluetooth IM program wouldn't require anything new (except for the application itself) and would probably work for up to 15m or so depending on the hardware in use which sure, isn't going to replace MSN/ICQ/AIM/Jabber/etc but is useful in office situations or people in different rooms, etc.

Please read my whole post before you criticize part of it. Specifically this Part:

God Ginrai said:
It might. I never said I supported it.

Also, the few times that a bluetooth IM would be useful, text messaging would be more useful.

-God Ginrai

I wasn't responding to your post directly, I was quoting it to show the chain of the conversation and just outlining Pandora Phone and BT messaging issues/concepts in general.

Enverex said:
I wasn't responding to your post directly, I was quoting it to show the chain of the conversation and just outlining Pandora Phone and BT messaging issues/concepts in general.

Anyone who reads this topic will already read the chain of conversation. The only reason you should quote someone is if you are responding to them.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Enverex said:

Anyone who reads this topic will already read the chain of conversation. The only reason you should quote someone is if you are responding to them.
..., the main difference between mailing lists, whence I assume that Enverex originates (or which he has gotten more used to), and bulletin boards/forums.

Back