Bluetooth Im

dflemstr said:
God Ginrai said:
Enverex said:
I wasn't responding to your post directly, I was quoting it to show the chain of the conversation and just outlining Pandora Phone and BT messaging issues/concepts in general.

Anyone who reads this topic will already read the chain of conversation. The only reason you should quote someone is if you are responding to them.
..., the main difference between mailing lists, whence I assume that Enverex originates (or which he has gotten more used to), and bulletin boards/forums.

Actually it was because there were 5 posts between that part of the conversation and my post, so I quoted so people could see exactly what I was continuing on from. Its so you don't get lost in the random or off topic posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's really no need for any bt im. Just use msn or something through internet even if you need to talk to somebody sitting 5 meters away. There's no need to have another program for that.

:edit: Might be useful if you have a deaf friend sitting 3-5 meters away from you with his own pandora without internet connection. That situation might be rare, but not impossible. Of course he would also have to be paralyzed and you have to be so lazy that you wouldnt care to stand up and let that poor deaf guy watch what you wrote and type his words on just your panda.

lulzfish said:
This would be good for places that don't have Internet, like a park or something.
Maybe if you're really shy.

VRAndy said:
lulzfish said:
This would be good for places that don't have Internet, like a park or something.
Maybe if you're really shy.
And really lucky to be near enough to a random stranger with a Pandora :p

Enverex said:
Pandora Phone will require additional hardware, a working phone contract and a data-plan/service on that phone. A Bluetooth IM program wouldn't require anything new (except for the application itself) and would probably work for up to 15m or so depending on the hardware in use which sure, isn't going to replace MSN/ICQ/AIM/Jabber/etc but is useful in office situations or people in different rooms, etc.

I don't think that bluetooth is going to work very well between rooms, especially if there are proper walls and other bluetooth devices nearby; proper ad-hoc wifi will probably be more reliable and allow for an higher range, even if it will take more battery.

Bluetooth is good for local multiplayer games. I'll be investigating its use, personally, for music-making apps as well as some games using a 3D engine I've been building, in the meantime, for Android, and which I'll port to Pandora as soon as I have it in my hands ..

I'd say the field is definitely ripe for some great games to be made for Pandora. Original, unhindered by other realities (no marketing department, woohoo!) ..

lulzfish said:

The city I'm in has no free internet, so internet clients are useless unless I'm at home, and if I'm at home I'm probably not going to be on the pandora, so I'm some cases its more than just parks and such.

It could be useful for finding others who actually own Pandoras, inside large stadiums, etc. For example, what if, in a stadium, there are twenty Pandoras and 10,000 people. A mesh network could connect each Pandora by bluetooth. Imagine that! It wouldn't only be useful for IM, but even setting up instant multiplayer games in areas without WiFi.

Jourdy288 said:
It could be useful for finding others who actually own Pandoras, inside large stadiums, etc. For example, what if, in a stadium, there are twenty Pandoras and 10,000 people. A mesh network could connect each Pandora by bluetooth. Imagine that! It wouldn't only be useful for IM, but even setting up instant multiplayer games in areas without WiFi.

Except that a Bluetooth IM couldn't reach over a large stadium. Hell, it couldn't even reach across a small field. WiFi adhoc has much greater range and just because it has WiFi in the name doesn't mean that it needs an internet connection.

-God Ginrai

Some generic auto-configuring app that can use Bluetooth or WiFi would be ideal. Would have to make it compatible with some other clients or protocols though as the chances of multiple Pandora users using it together is remote.

God Ginrai said:
Jourdy288 said:

Except that a Bluetooth IM couldn't reach over a large stadium. Hell, it couldn't even reach across a small field. WiFi adhoc has much greater range and just because it has WiFi in the name doesn't mean that it needs an internet connection.

-God Ginrai
That's exactly the reason why a mesh network could work!

Jourdy288 said:
God Ginrai said:
Jourdy288 said:

-God Ginrai
That's exactly the reason why a mesh network could work!

No, because:

1) There will never be enough people with a Pandora in the same area that you could connect through people close to you to talk to the ones that are out of your range.
2) Forwarding Multiplayer data via Bluetooth would be too slow to be effective, I'm afraid.

-God Ginrai

whiskthecat said:
An easy way to transfer files between pandoras over wifi would be cool, especially for sharing music.

This is the best usage scenario for a Bluetooth / Wifi program as previously described:
Two people have Pandoras and no Internet infrastructure, and need to transfer digital data.
Of course, an SD card could probably do the same thing, but adhoc Wi-Fi would be much simpler and cooler.

if you could mount the other Pandora as a filesystem, that would be even better. You could play music from it without transferring the music.

Hmm, maybe mesh networking for complex games may not work.... what about, however, mesh networks for other games? Something simple, like Tetris? I hope you get the idea...

Back