Fixed Version Of Floaters

Quiest

I like turtles!
Sorry, I know it took some time, but I finally fixed Floaters, it should now be fun to play :)

The bug in the gbax version was that the enemy counter raised to slowly, letting only one enemy appear at the time. It`s fixed now and should be a lot more challenging. Volume control should also work.

floaters.jpg

DOWNLOAD

Have fun!

Very nice game, Quiest. It plays and feels very fresh. It has the intensity of an arcade game, yet it's very calm and relaxing. My current hiscore is 20900.

I noticed a small bug concerning hiscore input:

Sometimes, the name keyboard is not centered. When it is, the fonts displayed on it look weird (thicker, in a way) and more than one letter appears highlighted at a time (the fake highlight occurs 3 columns to the right of the current key, on the same row).

Sometimes,the hiscore screen also displays the thicker, messed font.

This bug does not always occur. Sometimes it fixes itself after a couple of plays.

Alex. said:
Very nice game, Quiest. It plays and feels very fresh. It has the intensity of an arcade game, yet it's very calm and relaxing. My current hiscore is 20900.

I noticed a small bug concerning hiscore input:

Sometimes, the name keyboard is not centered. When it is, the fonts displayed on it look weird (thicker, in a way) and more than one letter appears highlighted at a time (the fake highlight occurs 3 columns to the right of the current key, on the same row).

Sometimes,the hiscore screen also displays the thicker, messed font.

This bug does not always occur. Sometimes it fixes itself after a couple of plays.
Okay, thanks for that o_O hasn`t happened to me yet... I will see if I can reproduce it somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recieved the highscore entry bug once after having my best game. also there seems to be an occassional slight lag.

the earlier already seemed cool but fixing it made it an incredibly addictive and fun game. Is this an original idea or based off something else? in any case great game and love the water effect. its simple but already now one of my favorite gp2x games ever.

I played this for ages last night after I'd had a few beers, which made it more difficult I think. I couldn't beat the top high score....

Does anything else happen in it? Are there other levels or other creatures? Or was I just so truly crap at it that I would have seen more if I could get off the first level?

No there isn`t much more happening XD but feel free to suggest any additions to spice up the gameplay.

You could have different creatures (they all looked the same to me last night) and have combos...

Do you get higher scores depending how far up the screen you are?

Also, does the length of the trail change?

Maybe everytime you pop a creature, your tail could get shorter - then when you get down to the last bit (very difficult I imagine) you could evolve in some way...

Maybe have floaters the same colour as yours, which you must not destroy, otherwise you lose points. Maybe as the game advances, have floaters come from the left and right sides of the screen as well, not just from the top.

Thanks again for the cool game Quiest :)

I love this game and don't see it really needing much more. though having the floaters appear from all sides after a while would up the challenge and add more fun.

If you add some more stuff and suggestions make sure to keep the option to play the way it is now. its simple in a good way.

Hmm having the floaters coming from the side is a neat idea... but have you played it for some time? It really does get hard enough.

Having floaters you may not kill is too hard, because you have no full control over your tail.

There already are combos: Kill a floater, and kill another under one 1 second later to get 1000 points instead of 100, under 2 to get 500 (I believe these are the correct times).

Evolving would make to game to complicated... what would you want to evolve to anyways?

Tho some different kinds of enemies would be neat... may a chaser that homes in to your position on his way down... and a shooter that shoots something if you are horizontal or vertical positioned of him...

floaters coming from other directions would be good either for a special hard mode or after a while of playing to really ramp things up.

i agree that as far as adding content or changes to the game adding different enemies is the way to go. and maybe have options or modes that would have all one kind of floater or mixes of all the different ones.

one thing I'd like to see changed before looking at new content is the high score entry system. its kind of annoying having to enter your name after every high score. it should either save the last person that entered their name or have some kind of profile system. also the cursor seems to move kind of slow through the characters, it doesn't wrap around, and it seems normal letters are harder to get to then special characters

Okay thanks, I will have it save the last entered name and lower the delay between skipping from one letter to the next.

What do you mean by harder to get?

I just meant that numbers and specials character are positioned more prominently and are the first thing the cursor will pass.

and I'm still having so much fun with this game. I love the whole tail mechanic and how it moves, the water effect and the music. whole thing comes together really well and is such a joy to play.

This is a great game: conceptually simple, efficient, original. And the music is nice.

Just a suggestion: I think it takes too long to reach the point where the fun really begins (more than 5 floaters at the same time), and often you die before that. So why not three lives? Or maybe could it be possible to have several difficulty levels?

Thanks!

Back