Flash Games In Pandora

zaoin

Website
Visit site
What about flash games in pandora?

A simple home page with links to playable flash games or a way to download them can work.

They are a lot out there. An I suppose many can be compatible with pandora. (Some are compatible for PSP, aren't they?)

Well Gnash is open source, so it's at least feasible. It had its first beta release last month, so while compatibility isn't perfect yet, it is still under development.

I think it's better not to get your hopes up and just say NO. At least not at release day.

ATM gnash is mostly compatible with flash 7 and has some features from the later ones, but major inconsistencies. Youtube works and some ad flash elements may, but games will have huge issues, as most flash game developers indiscriminately use all the latest features of the flash player.

swfdec is more portable and has a lot of Flash 9 features. Only problem I see is the performance. Someone would need to add OpenGL hardware acceleration.

Read on the "TI - White paper - Introduction to Graphics Software Development for OMAP™ 2/3"

To implement support for Flash® on a new device requires licensing the Flash player
software from Adobe®.
www.adobe.com/licensing/
On the OMAP™ 3 platform, Adobe Flash is supported under Linux by the accelerated
OpenVG™ driver. Adobe offers an implementation of their Flash player specifically for the
ARM® Cortex™-A8 (OMAP 3) platform which is optimized to utilize the Cortex and NEON™
accelerator. Please contact Adobe® for more information.
The Lite version of Flash is targeted specifically at embedded devices which do not have
hardware floating-point capability, but this is not an issue on the OMAP 2 or 3 platforms.
Flash is typically a hard requirement for devices that allow users to surf the public
Internet because so many websites use Flash today. YouTube is a good example. However,
there is a non-proprietary, open alternative to Flash which is gaining traction called SVG
(Scalable Vector Graphics). SVG offers the scalable 2D functionality of Flash, but SVG is an
open standard.

Maybe we could have Flash player for free ?

not having used one, i wouldn't be surprised if the open source implementations mentioned here are still better than adobe's mobile flash player :)

my opinion on the whole thing, should anyone care to hear it, is that flash is both useful and locked down. adobe is not the most open-minded of companies. someone was making money selling software to create vector graphics, and it wasn't adobe, so they fixed that.

i know that the goal would be to play flash games, of which there are many. but a large number of good flash games had good gp2x ports...that to me is more worthwhile in the long run. that code can be ported. but flash? the situation is the same as it's always been. i don't think there's anything wrong with adobe licensing flash and trying to get revenue there. but it's the same old story. there's a large amount of work done by people (flash games & animations), and adobe has the only say in where that work can be viewed...on what hardware and what OS.

there will be a huge catalog of games that'll be available for the pandora on day one. a lot of them will be ports from the gp2x remakes of popular flash games. so my opinion is that even though decent flash support would be cool, i'd almost rather see the device be "flash-free" :D

I personaly would like to see some kind of Flash player. I often like to sit back and enjoy Flash Movies on my own time, if it's possable. But nothing really exests for this yet, so I have to bring out the very anoying space eater "Cam studio" and record it. Than hope it recorded what I just did, than go into Windows Movie Maker and port it so the file size isint 1GB, and than have it converted by thr video converter for my GP2x. (What A hassle.. <_<)

I understand getting Flash (the latest one) wouldint be free, but it would be cool to see someone try to port it... ya know; experiment. :D

Classic Team said:
I personaly would like to see some kind of Flash player. I often like to sit back and enjoy Flash Movies on my own time, if it's possable. But nothing really exests for this yet, so I have to bring out the very anoying space eater "Cam studio" and record it. Than hope it recorded what I just did, than go into Windows Movie Maker and port it so the file size isint 1GB, and than have it converted by thr video converter for my GP2x. (What A hassle.. <_<)

I understand getting Flash (the latest one) wouldint be free, but it would be cool to see someone try to port it... ya know; experiment. :D
im confused... what are you using flash for?
flv videos can be played in other programs (including vlc which will no doubt be ported), just need the right codec. but more importaintly, why are you using flash video to begin with? why not xvid or h264 codecs in avi files which would be higher quality...
and what exactly are you recording and converting? why dont you use mediacoder which can convert file types easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
The crucial thing that Pandora really needs to have in this day and age is the ability to use the various video sites that have been turning up - however, from the sound of it this is - sooner or later - a given. It's games that would require more effort (and might just not work)... and those, whilst I'd like (there are more puzzle games for flash than pretty near any other system now, I think, though I haven't seen figures, and admittedly, a lot of them are pretty much the same game when it comes down to it).

I'm interested to hear a comment from one of the various coders as to the viability of simply nicking the N8xx flash plugin and trying to use it - so far I've seen a couple of people speculate, but none of the supercoders respond as to whether that would actually work...

Well, since it's a software licence for a device, it depends on Adobes price and the sales if the official player might be included.
If it sells good and the price isn't too high, I can't see any reason why NOT to licence the flash player - and then it can be included in a software update for all Pandoras released until then.

If Adobe don't charge too much, then I'd imagine getting flash on there is a given, as you say (it's too much of a major feature not to have).

But I was wondering more on the assumption that Adobe want a silly amount of money that makes an official port non-feasable, whether the N8xx player could be crowbarred in to do the job (unofficially), much as unofficial support is likely to end up present, sooner or later, for those codecs that charge a lot to license...

EvilDragon said:
Well, since it's a software licence for a device, it depends on Adobes price and the sales if the official player might be included.
If it sells good and the price isn't too high, I can't see any reason why NOT to licence the flash player - and then it can be included in a software update for all Pandoras released until then.
AFAIK you always could download the Flash PLAYER for free so I wonder, why this should cost money now? I thought there was a ARM Flash player already or have Adobe create a completely new Flash for running onto the Pandora?

I can't program but I think the problem with running flash games is, that there isn't enough cache or?

What is when you crate cache temps on a SD? :p *o_O*

fusion_power: I think they need a license for a flashplayer from Adobe. But mabye there is an opensource player aviable?

Codemonkey said:
I can't program but I think the problem with running flash games is, that there isn't enough cache or?

What is when you crate cache temps on a SD? :p *o_O*
fusion_power: I think they need a license for a flashplayer from Adobe. But mabye there is an opensource player aviable?

The hardware is more than enough to run it, but as of yet there is no player available with complete flash 9 support.

Does a Firefox extension exist to replace the flash video player with a link that opens the video on your preferred video player?

That would work quite well on Pandora and, that way, we won't need an Adobe Flash Player port on the Pandora.

I will start searching...

EDIT: Perhaps the GreaseMonkey extension with an script similar to this one?

fusion_power said:
EvilDragon said:
AFAIK you always could download the Flash PLAYER for free so I wonder, why this should cost money now? I thought there was a ARM Flash player already or have Adobe create a completely new Flash for running onto the Pandora?

my understanding was that flash players are always binary-only and come from adobe, and anything third-party is coming from old source or reverse engineering. can someone back that up?

CoMiKe said:
Does a Firefox extension exist to replace the flash video player with a link that opens the video on your preferred video player?

Maybe one does exist. I only know about extensions that allow you to download the video. If not, it can be made.

In fact, the vlc guys have a SoC project to make a plugin that acts like the flash player when there's video content and instead opens it with vlc.

rokdcasbah said:
my understanding was that flash players are always binary-only and come from adobe, and anything third-party is coming from old source or reverse engineering. can someone back that up?

There's no old source, adobe never released anything (besides the tamarin actionscript engine, which by itself is useless). Swfdec and Gnash are made by reverse engineering and work to a degree, but you can only count on flash7 features.

[edit] I've only just looked on planet.openmoko.org (rss aggregator) and found out that Adobe is apparently releasing the specification to some (much?) of the player. With time, the open source implementations will get much better.

Back