Flash Is Dead

Do we need flash?

• Meh who cares its a dinosaur that doesn't know its dead yet

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • I like yesterdays technology

Votes: 50 68.5%

• Total voters

chris_c

http://mrdoob.com shows some really nice flash like effects, but wait there is no flash! How does html4 content play on the pandora?
(hint you'll need something more modern that firefox bloatware...)

Given that ted.com and others offer their video in html 4, once youtube follows (and it will) what use is flash?

With some effort it *could* be possible to get one of the open source flash players (and some are getting good) but do we really need to?

Ok, if these are supposed to be HTML5 demo's why when I right click does it bring up Flash 10 menu?

Edit: Ah, I see, it's just the sketch pad and a couple others that's HTML5.

chris_c said:
all easily doable with html 4 - they will catch up...
No they won't. So long as Adobe keeps producing Flash, it will keep being used. Average person doesn't care about open source vs closed or anything else that would encourage html4 growth; all they know is that Flash works on their computer so by gum they're going to demand it on all their other computing devices.
It'll lose some market to html4, of course, but I don't see anything to suggest that they won't coexist for quite some time. The only way that Flash will go away is if Adobe accepts that html4 is a reasonable substitute for Flash and changes their builder to output html4 instead of flash code.
Then too, there's all the Flash games that already exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
chris_c said:
No they won't. So long as Adobe keeps producing Flash, it will keep being used. Average person doesn't care about open source vs closed or anything else that would encourage html4 growth; all they know is that Flash works on their computer so by gum they're going to demand it on all their other computing devices.
It'll lose some market to html4, of course, but I don't see anything to suggest that they won't coexist for quite some time. The only way that Flash will go away is if Adobe accepts that html4 is a reasonable substitute for Flash and changes their builder to output html4 instead of flash code.
Then too, there's all the Flash games that already exist.

Isn't it HTML5 that has all these bells and whistles.. not HTML4 which is the current standard.

TrashyMG said:
Isn't it HTML5 that has all these bells and whistles.. not HTML4 which is the current standard.
Yes, I got confused because html4 was mentioned first. Just replace everything I said with everything I meant to say, and it'll be fine :)

I voted "I like yesterdays technology" as this is the whole point of this community : we are retro-gamers :)

BTW: html4 is damn old tech as it is 10 years old already.

html5 is a needed, yet not good enough, upgrade.

TrashyMG said:
spoil sport there could have been loads of them ranting how html4 would never beat flash...

chris_c said:
Esn said:
Flash games. Newgrounds.
Sure, just like Sega Genesis games are easily portable to the SNES. There is a huge library of very good existing games and animations made in Flash. They won't "catch up".

Anyway, html5 is far away from being the better animation or game-creating tool. It's much harder to use; for animators it holds no advantage. It's also not nearly as good technically.
For example:
http://www.themaninblue.com/writing/perspective/2010/03/22/
graph_osx_ff.png

sebt3 said:
I voted "I like yesterdays technology" as this is the whole point of this community : we are retro-gamers :)

BTW: html4 is damn old tech as it is 10 years old already.

html5 is a needed, yet not good enough, upgrade.

+1

Personally I only want flash for the live TV streams on, stuff broadcast on JustinTV, Freedocast and the BBC website or TV Catchup - all of which use flash. Personally I used to prefer the days when it was all realmedia format, it STILL remains my favourite for lower bitrate live streams, why was it ever abandoned anyway? I love snooker and a number of years ago I used to record the live streams off the BBC, it was way better quality than taping to VHS tape, and files were much smaller than equivelant size using DIVX/XVID etc. In many ways it was superior to newer H264 codec too, because although they offer great quality pictures at smaller sizes, you need a beefy bastard of a CPU to cope with them. With my I7 quad core PC it's not an issue obviously, but my old P4 3ghz - a great and stable machine had to be totally dedicated to play high def video, so no browsing while watching TV at the same time. I still have RealMedia encoder, and I guess I'll probably encode stuff using it for watching on the Pandora cause it offers best size to quality with low decoding CPU requirements.

EDIT: As far as I know Flash is just a cuntainer for video files.

Video streaming sites might switch to HTML5, but I like browsing Newgrounds when I'm bored, so for me Flash would be frikkin' awesome. For now, Android is the only other non-PC device (portable or not) that I know of with a useful version of Flash. Flash 6/7 is hardly useful, most things require Flash 9 now.

Jdbye said:
Video streaming sites might switch to HTML5, but I like browsing Newgrounds when I'm bored, so for me Flash would be frikkin' awesome. For now, Android is the only other non-PC device (portable or not) that I know of with a useful version of Flash. Flash 6/7 is hardly useful, most things require Flash 9 now.
Maemo does have adobe flash 10 too you know ?
For video streaming, the goods free-software implementations of flash does support this prety well I've been tell. Gnash is not working as browser plugin currently, but will be fixed. don't worry

We may/will have adobe flash running. Be it by hack or having a release made from adobe (dreams is not forbidden on these boards, so mali dont delete my post yet again)

Back