Flashing To Aquafish V5.01

Shirohagen

Brutal Deluxe
Website
richardho.lt
Hi guys

I've had my new BLU for a week now and while I like the new firmware I really want to boot into Windups like I used to on my FLU (Preflashed by GBAX).

I've been looking around and Aquafish's Multifirmware v5.01 looks like a good bet with Pacrom, Euro Firmware and Windups on there plus the ability to add FXEs to the boot selector and use your own background etc...

Has anyone else flashed to this? I've never flashed the firmware before and I'm a little worried about it, also the instructions are in broken english so I wanted to see how other people had found it first:

1. Can anyone summarise the instructions? I got a little lost with the readme included. There are a few files in the downloaded RAR archive.
2. I have heard that this alters the BIOS so that incompatibilities may arise. For instance PC Link in the Euro Firmware doesn't work. Is this likely to affect any of my GP32 software? Can anyone verify that things actually still work!?

Sorry guys, you know how it is I need some moral support before I try this...

®

hiya mate, hows it goin?

I've not flashed to the new 5.01 version but have the old 4.8 on my FLU and it works fine for autobooting into whatever you desire. But apparently on some other thread I read that you couldn't boot straight into an FXE like you could on the old one.

This may have been fixed, I'm not too sure but I was going to hold off until I heard otherwise as this feature is something I like a lot.

As for the actual flashing itself, I think it's very difficult to stuff it up if you just use a bit of common sense and some fresh batteries!!

cheers

Why don't you use gpbios, then you can boot any firmware you want without flashing again (and taking risk).
The korean firmware + gpDrive 0.4 + darkfaders pclink are already build in.
I did it, and it's great. :)
Just rename the file or firmware you want to launch to boot.bin or boot.fxe
www.gpbios.tk

you can boot bin files with aqua version 5 too, it also allows you to do so much more than gpbios

im using aqua v5 right now and it works great

I use the slightly older Aqua 4.3 (but 4.8 is just as good). The best program for booting .bin is Slubman's firmware. I have it autoboot through Pacrom and coupled with the file browser (ability to add/delete) there is nothing else that can come close. :)

(ok. maybe Aqua v.5)

aapje89 posted on Jul 17 2004 at 10:06 AM said:
Why don't you use gpbios, then you can boot any firmware you want without flashing again (and taking risk).
I agree - and the site explains it so easily. Then you can try any firmware you like without flashing again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone tell me if Aqua v5. needs the use of the diagonals? A couple of mine (top-left and top-right) arent what they used to be and just wondered if they're essential or not. Thanks :)

depends. If you want to use the Zodiac like launcher as your standard fxe launcher (which is very complicated, because you would have to make a new menu everytime you add executables), then you need those. Personally, i just got 4-5 programes in the fw launcher, and they are mapped to
up (Windups)
down (nothing atm)
left (eurofw)
right (pacrom)
center (GPadvance)

so no, diagonals are not very important.

i think only small bugfixes. The PC-link problem would be too hard to fix, because aquafish BIOS is based on the old english BIOS. Aquafish "added" his improvements to it, and repalced the FW (in this case BIOS and Firmware are different things: BIOS is the part you can not see (OS) and Firmware the thing that executes funtions (shell)) with the euro one. You can see that, if you enter the DEBUG mode of the eufw. It states 1.5.7 which is the english fw. So basically to remove the PC-link bug, aqua would have to code his functions from scratch

I just flashed this, and it boot into everything just fine. Mine autoboots into YAFL.

I can't figure out how to change the background though... How is this done? Also, the menu maker is kind of confusing. When you are telling it where the executable is, what are you supposed to write in? The exact location, the folder... what? The firmwares boot perfectly, but programs just won't boot for me, although I'm almost positive I'm just screwing up with the ZPR maker...

Back