How to Avoid bad flashing

seth

can anyone here give me some good tips?

also if i buy a game from joygp and ive flashed to windups how owuld i run it?

Good Tips?
Be sure you have an SMC in good condition.
Use FRESH BATTERIES!

And... I'd recommend using Mr. Spivs Multifirmware, as some games from JoyGP (e.g. Mill) only
seem to run using the original firmware...

Never flush using an AC adapter. If the power goes, your GP32 goes.
Best use fresh new Duracell M3 batteries.

Edit: Damn beaten by a few seconds

i suggest you use both batteries + ac adaptor.
if the power goes, unplug the gp32 from the adaptor immediately, cause you might risk a gp32 reboot if the power comes back.
however, the flashing lasts for something like 30 seconds, if not less....

nihil-00 posted on May 31 2003 said:
i suggest you use both batteries + ac adaptor.
if the power goes, unplug the gp32 from the adaptor immediately, cause you might risk a gp32 reboot if the power comes back.
however, the flashing lasts for something like 30 seconds, if not less....
AFAIK, All GP32`s reboot if powered from batteries and mains at the same time then the mains is powered off. :blink: :blink: :blink:

So be careful. :)

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
Test what hapens when the AC is unplugged and the battries are in (of course not whan flashing FW ;) )

Heh, what are the chances of the power going? Although I was once flashing one of my motherboards and the power went like 3 seconds after the flash finished!

well, i tested it out, and i can assure you than using ac + batteries won't cause a gp32 reboot on power failure.

whats the multifirmaware do differnt?
It replaces the original FW with (all in 512K Flash so loading is fast):
1) original 1.5.7e FW (not startup animation and jingle sound -> boots fast)
2) Latest Pacrom
3) Latest Windups main binary (FXE loader fixed)
4) PCLink

These are selectable from a bootmenu.. any of them can be also defined as a default FW and the selection gets stored into EEPROM.

For Mac ppl MultiFW also fixes the broken GP32 USB driver so that GP32 USB is compatible with Mac OSX (or any strictly USB1.1 following driver).

For developers MultiFW includes BIOSMON, which gets called when GP32 crashes.. i.e. instead of reboot you see a debug monitor etc. Also for developers MultiFW contains support for GDB-Stub, which allows remote debugging with GDB (gnu debugger) via USB.

rcx21000 posted on May 31 2003 said:
Test what hapens when the AC is unplugged and the battries are in (of course not whan flashing FW ;) )
might be a moot point, if the mains power goes while you're flashing your gp32, your pc will prolly be powered down as well...

(not counting laptops / ups ;)

Probably, but you don't need your PC on while flashing.
But anyway, it's a simple painless process, and if you're using new batteries, and something goes wrong, you're very unlucky ;)
Though I must admit, while it's flashing, it is rather scary :p

Probably, but you don't need your PC on while flashing.
But anyway, it's a simple painless process, and if you're using new batteries, and something goes wrong, you're very unlucky ;)
Though I must admit, while it's flashing, it is rather scary :p
wowzers, i had always assumed that you flashed via the usb link (talk about rtfm)...
...suddenly the whole thing seems to be bunch less scary, I think i might flash my gp32 tonight :)

thx!

well, i tested it out, and i can assure you than using ac + batteries won't cause a gp32 reboot on power failure.
This can`t be true :blink: :wacko:

Tried this myself, Batteries + powered mains adaptor.
Unpluged the mains adaptor and the GP32 reboots(EDIT: or freezes). :blink:

Is he pulling a longen :unsure: . Or does this happen to everyone else???.

Trooper

Try it a few more times the GP may consider its main power source that which provides it the fastest when the switch is flicked thus powering down when which ever one won the race is removed. Making it random or biased to the one that is normally the quickest (i would say mains power?)

all speculation of course as i dropped out of my electronics engineer training after 2 weeks.

Back