Flickering backlight

animator75

Website
Visit site
Hi I have recently bought a GP32 with backlight. If I use the backlight I have a runtime of about 30 minutes, then the backlight starts to flicker when the CPU load increases. When in the GP32 mainmenu or an emu menu the light does not flicker but as soon I start the emulation the backlight starts to flicker. Any ideas what causes this, does the powerunit give the cpu higher priority than the backlight. Or does the CPU consume so much power that the backlight failes to work while the screen is redrawn, the flicker is about 25/sekond.. Please help.
Thanks!

animator75 posted on Jul 14 2003 said:
Hi I have recently bought a GP32 with backlight. If I use the backlight I have a runtime of about 30 minutes, then the backlight starts to flicker when the CPU load increases. When in the GP32 mainmenu or an emu menu the light does not flicker but as soon I start the emulation the backlight starts to flicker. Any ideas what causes this, does the powerunit give the cpu higher priority than the backlight. Or does the CPU consume so much power that the backlight failes to work while the screen is redrawn, the flicker is about 25/sekond.. Please help.
Thanks!
It is probably your batteries. Whenever my batteries are low and I'm not in an emu, the frontlight is fine, but once I go into gpengine it starts to flicker because it doesn't have enough power. Try replacing the batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your answer. :)
Replacing the batteries work, but isn't the GP32 supposed to have more than 40min light time? This is even worse than my old Atari Lynx. :( Also does anyone know how many amps the GP uses when hooked to the computer with the USB cable. It seems my GP consumes Alot of battery power when connected to the usb. Having it connected for 30min completely drains a new pair of batteries.
I'm just wondering if there is some kind of short circuit that drains my batteries.
Thanks.

its because emulation drains more power from the Gp32 therefore with the added drainage of the FLU your batteres die too :angry: quick

I will have to build myself an external battery pack then, if there isnt one available allready.
Thanks for your help

40 mins thats terrible! i play my GP with the light on all the time and use Panasonc Power Max 3 batteries. playing EMus mostly and Movies second and they last for hours i think ive changed bats 4 or 5 times in 2 months with ocasional to fairly regular use of the GP. 40 mins is just plain wrong it shouldnt be draining them anywhere near that fast.

40 min seems very wrong. I get 7 or 8 hours an a pair of generic alkaline batteries running only eums or moviepark. I don't have an FLU, but the FLU is only 2 high-output LEDs. It can't make THAT much difference. Is your GP new? Has it always been like this? What kind of run time do you get without the light turned on?

JDUK: love the new avatar B)

My GP is just 2 days old so I havnt had the time to try alot of different batteries, perhaps the batteries in that package were all bad. I Will buy some new batteries today and do som tests. I will get back to you later. :)

I bought a couple of GP NiMH 1800mAh Rechargeble. And so far I have about 1.5 hour with backlight and Castaway, and still going :) Hooking the GP32 to the usb port seems to consume alot of power so getting a smartmedia reader is probably a good thing :)

Back