Free Heroes 2 (Might & Magic 2) needs love

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
Two purposes for this thread.

1. To remind people that this exists (it was ported by Pickle very early on - belated thanks Pickle <3)
  2. To see if we can't rustle up a wee update :3

For the uninitiated, Free Heroes 2 is an open source implementation of the classic Heroes of Might and Magic II engine.

ZwgTI.jpg

Get the PND here: http://apps.openpand...me/FHeroes2.inf

You'll need to buy a copy of the game for the data files: http://www.gog.com/e..._2_gold_edition

Or get the demo: http://download.cnet...9_4-860182.html

Getting to the point, the game runs beautifully on the Pandora, but it's not idiot proof. Several directories need to be manually created in /appdata:

/appdata/fheroes2.pickle

......................................... /data

......................................... /maps

......................................... /files

................................................. /music

................................................. /sound

................................................. /save

(The /data, /maps, /music and /sound folders can all be dragged in from a Windows install, so perhaps auto-creation of these is not critical. But the bolded entries should be auto-created if possible. If it weren't for forums and appstore comments, one might not have the game running at all).

The other issue is the SDL touchscreen bug (solution here). You can avoid it by not clicking in the blank side areas of the screen, but getting it fixed up would be mighty nice. http://boards.openpandora.org/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png' alt=':)'> That's all... maybe Pickle would be keen to look at it again, or someone else could have a crack at it. (sourceforge page)

These things aside, the game does run beautifully and is worth playing (now that you are armed with all this useful information). So go play it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello

Many thanks for the pointer towards this game :)

Just one question how do I get the data files out of the .exe on my Mac ?

Good to see you back by the way :)

I've made a new SVN straight recompilation for OP. i'll test it soon..

OK.. works.. but i didnt implemented SDL touchpad correction yet..

Anyway 800x480 -> works, nub-mouse -> works, playable -> yes

Last edited:
800x480? Oh my :)

Hello

Thanks, but having to use DOSbox just sets me up in frustration mode and I will end up throwing something.

I really do not get on with it at all, I tried to install it via Boxer which is a frontend for the Mac that uses DOSbox in the background.

That just error out with - “Heroes of Might and Magic” is a Microsoft Windows game or application, which Boxer does not support.

Installed it via CrossOver Games, but I cannot find the folders required, I know where it has been installed to but the required folders

do not seem to be in there.

I am using the GOG version if that makes any difference.

EDIT : Just realised I have a copy of this game on my machine already wrapped in DOSbox, I have now located the folders well all except there is no Music folder.

I have - Data, Maps and Sound, there is no Music folder.

Cas; you could probably just assume that your GOG purchase gives you a certain amount of (not necessarily legal) right to simply download the extracted files from an alternative source.

This is the one problem I have with GOG. They should offer Zip-packaged versions of their games, or provide a binary that will unpack them under OSX/Linux. It would eliminate that oft-annoying but necessary step of installing into Windows. I had the same problem with Descent 1 & 2.

Ah sorry, I assumed your version wasn't from GOG. Obviously running that in DOSBox won't work, as it's already wrapped in DOSBox!

Not sure why you don't have a music folder. I think Gadgetoid has the right idea.

Does the campaign mode works? Last time I tested it didn't, not even in the PC version.

no. currently i have no time for making ports anymore. if i release something ill do it in next month.

Do map spell works?

I have been playing this game for the last week and noticed that adventure spells don't work i click on them and nothing happens. It's a lack of this verion or i'm doing something wrong.

It's sad because this kills a good portion of the game (call me purist), I think that someones are critical like town portal, dimension door or summon boat.

Back