free video splitter

LTStone

Hi guys, 

Does anyone know of a free video splitter\editor for windows xp? My wife wants to cut out parts of videos to make some movies more family friendly.

thanks.

Way back in the day, The dark times when I used to use windows I used this.. This was about a decade ago, so there may be something better now, I liked it because it was easy to setup batch processing of videos.. I'm kind of out of the loop now though.. 

http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/

I know for Linux this is commonly used, but seems that there is a windows port too:

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 avidmux, used it, works good.

Haven't used the windows port but since it looks to be offically supported you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Now you made me curious. What movies do you or your wife want to cut out stuff from?

Edit: Also +1 for Virtualdub. Needs a bit to get used to but is very powerful for cutting tasks.

Not sure if VirtualDub would be wife-friendly enough :)

If you have Windows you could try Microsoft Windows Movie Maker. It might not be free with every XP version though.

I've used Avidmux on Windows before and it was real easy and done the job nicely

Well , we have been using Avidmux but it seems to crash or the files get corrupted. All we are doing is cutting and deleting segments then saving the video.

Mcobit:

Thevideo's are my MMA videos right now the ring girls are wearing next to nothing and we have pretty high standards when it comes to sexual content , nudity etc.

I'll check out virtualdub as Movie maker gave us problems as well.

Well , we have been using Avidmux but it seems to crash or the files get corrupted. All we are doing is cutting and deleting segments then saving the video.
With AviDemux, when saving you have to be careful to specify the output muxer and to choose a Video Codec and Audio Codec that are supported by the chosen format - otherwise you'll create a file that is unplayable (it won't stop you from doing so, so you have to double check everything before you set it running). These three settings are in the tabs on the left side of the main display.

For example, if you want to create an .mp4 file, you'll want the video output to be x264 (remember to set the file size you want too), and the audio to be AAC or mp3 only. Then you'll have to set the output muxer to mp4, and remember to include ".mp4" at the end of the filename when saving (it doesn't do this automatically).

Even if you're not making major changes to either audio or video (ie if one is set to 'copy' output) you need to double-check that the output muxer is compatible with the format you think you're saving - in other words, saving as an mp4 when the muxer is left at avi will most likely produce an unplayable file.

Asmo had the right idea, Its working now and thanks to all!

I'm late to the party I guess, but in it's defense VirtualDub isn't that difficult to use. Select portion to cut, goto menu, select cut, when done, render file.

But I'll never understand this: Bashing brains out = O.K., bikinis = the devil's work. No personal offense meant.

Back