Freecom Freeview Stick Thing

WarmFluffyUK

The Big Wad Bolf.
Website
www.retrotech.one
The other day I was thinking about getting a freeview card for my PC as I would like to be able to record directly to my HDD off air, when I came across a USB DVB freeview stick made by Freecom. It wasn't mega expensive so I took the plunge and bought it.

After it arrived and I had it all running, I was wondering if I could use other software with it as the supplied software is a bit buggy. My boyfriend is a member of the Digital Spy Forums and he said I can use the new freecom BDA drivers, and that means lots of software will utilise this device. I found some free software called DVB TV Web Scheduler. I was a bit skeptical at first about how useful it would be, but I installed it anyway! I must say this is one of the most useful pieces of software I have every used. So what does it do:

It runs on your PC as a service and allows you to set up recording schedules for freeview. The interface is via a web browser, which means you can use the scheduler from anywhere on the web. I can be at work, connect to my machine, view the TV planner, double click on a program and my PC will record it for me. Really kewl.

And what did I have to do to get it working? Well the main problem after setup and telling it what area I am in, was that is refused to download the info for the program guide. But I found another piece of software that did this called XMLTV, this connected to the web, downloaded the program schedule for my selected channels and created the relevant XML file! I have set that to run on login and set Web Scheduler to update at 8:00AM, I'm usually logged on then.

I was talking to Mr Axe earlier and he said he has a similar thing for Sky+, but you need Sky+ for that, something I will be getting soon I hope. But until then, this is a very useful piece of software, and the best thing is, it's FREE!!!!!

Hmm, millions spent advertising and trying to get people to make the switch yet most of the people I know can't get Freeview. BALLS.

clarky2o2o posted on Jul 31 2006 at 07:45 AM said:
40+ channels (+50 radio) sod all on <_< ...but at least it is free :D
LOL True enough, mind you Top Cat is on later :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
finty posted on Jul 31 2006 at 01:06 AM said:
Hmm, millions spent advertising and trying to get people to make the switch yet most of the people I know can't get Freeview. BALLS.
I think it still says we can't here, though we can, as I'm here right now with it on. However I think my box may be a little faulty (bloody BT... again) as I have to mess with it a lot sometimes to get ITV channels working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back