Fried My Pc

zodttd

Solving your premature emulation since the Tapwave
Website
www.zodttd.com
Hi everyone,

I landed up literally toasting my gaming/development PC. I've been thinking of what I'd replace it with lately so I guess that's what I get.

I'm thinking of getting a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Xi 1546 or Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M3438G / M4438G and depending on which one, upgrading the MXM Type III video card in it to a NVidia 7900GS.
Problem is I can't buy an Amilo locally, and it's probably way out of my price range. I can't afford a midrange PC more or less an Alienware. I'm hoping on getting a mid-range Amilo and then upgrading the video card in hopes to save money.

Maybe someone has one of these Amilo's around or something similar in performance and wants to sell it? :p
Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to take PayPal donations for this as it isn't the right thing to do.

On another note, until the development PC fried I had been looking at HW SDL with DJWillis in hopes to get POST Processing scaling working. It will allow for very nice filtered scaling via hardware. Hopefully when that gets back up and running and we get it done, I can finish up OpenTTD and start FreeCIV. :)

Fustrated,
ZodTTD

Crap. Just noticed I posted this in General GP2X, not Off Topic. Move as needed. Thanks.

Yeah, it's getting more and more expensive too!

I'll have to figure something out. Circa 1999 PC's make developing a bit difficult. :p

You could always develop on your gp2x by wiring 20 buttons around your lcd and using primitives... just make sure microsoft hp intel and the us government dont catch you.

Mean it fried fully? Can`t be. You might be able just replace defective part(s). Hmm, although when power adapter burns... yes that could be...

Very sad :( Still hoping some parts still alive.

I would build my own PC. This is the way you get exactly the machine you want.

Also stay the fuck away from Fujitsu-Siemens. They´re absolutely shitty. I once installed video drivers (the fact alone that they weren´t preinstalled shows ho shitty their QA is) on a Fujitsu-Siemens of some girl i know, and i ended up having to reinstall Windows.

I think Zodttd was talking about getting a laptop, and upgrading its graphics card. That could turn out to be more trouble than its worth though...

Personally I'm sceptical of the concept of a high power laptop. It means carrying around upwards of 3.5kg, if it has any decent kind of battery/life, then about 4kg. I'd just get a cheap laptop for about E600 for devving on (unless you're doing actual Pc games it should be good enough) and a E1500 build your own desktop + Screen etc. Of course, if you don't have room for a desktop.. Or are going between college/workplace/home/accommodation a lot and want to game then I suppose and expensive 'portable desktop' is a good idea. Plus it would look deadly cool.

In my opinion, there's nothing special about a Fujitsu-Siemens - except of course if it happens to be one of the few laptops you can get G-card upgrades for... Which is no doubt your reasoning Zodttd?

MMM HW post scaling.....

In SPain we dont buy PCs with trademarks we make them part by part or the shops does that for you.

I totally recommend you to change the defective parts.

I keep parts from 1996 on my actual PC. And they still work well. I have chenged nearly everything. Where can you buy it in UK ? Well I use overclock.co.uk, they have excellent service.

If you need a hand send my a privete message or email. It is silly paying a fortune for a PC with "trademark".
I havnt donate yet cause i am skint but i can help with this, and that will save you a lot of money .

I know peopole that probably had the power supply broken and bought a new PC... that costs around 30Euros.

If you still want to buy a new whole PC can u pass me some parts? :)

You could always develop on your gp2x by wiring 20 buttons around your lcd and using primitives... just make sure microsoft hp intel and the us government dont catch you.
You forgot about gluing external harddrive to linux! the market will eat you alive though,

What happened to that idiot anyway? :lol:

- Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
It is silly paying a fortune for a PC with "trademark".

I don't know if it's the same in Europe, but the Extremely low-end computers are cheaper then custom building your own extremely low-end. And some people are just to lazy to put work into saving lots of money, plus some people want tech support.

I build my own always, but I find it kind of fun & I love cheap power. But I recommend to those that don't want to the following:

(applies only to USA)

every Sunday, check paper ad's for Circuit City, Best Buy, and CompUSA. There's at least one INCREDIBLE deal on a PC from HP/Compaq. Usually involves one or more rebates. You'll know it when you see it, based on the specs. BUT, make sure you get one with a free PCI-Express slot so you can upgrade the video at some point if you care to.

every Sunday, check paper ad's for Circuit City, Best Buy, and CompUSA. There's at least one INCREDIBLE deal on a PC from HP/Compaq. Usually involves one or more rebates. You'll know it when you see it, based on the specs. BUT, make sure you get one with a free PCI-Express slot so you can upgrade the video at some point if you care to.

or you can buy one of those $150 eMachines :D

On another note, until the development PC fried I had been looking at HW SDL with DJWillis in hopes to get POST Processing scaling working. It will allow for very nice filtered scaling via hardware.

Ah, so I wasn't the only one who had noticed that in the manual. I've been looking into that too, with very little success so far... have you guys done anything that works yet?

or you can buy one of those $150 eMachines :D

im on one right now

Actually im not certain whether it was 150 dollars... someone bought it for me. However I do know it is one of the super economy emachines that you buy at best buy. 2.21 ghz amd athalon proccesor, 384mb of ram (wtf??? 384?). i think the person who bought it said it cost like 200. Its pretty boring and standard but i do have to say that I love the big "E" power button.

Edit: WTF i just found out it costs 450 dolllars on emachines website. Maybe it wasn't so cheap... or it was on sale.

Back